Default separation wall/tape and mud?

I've been looking around the boards and can't seem to find an answer to this: does the separation wall/ceiling between the attached garage and living space need to be taped and mudded? Or is just have the proper sheetrock up enough?

Similar Threads:
    Member Benefits1
    -Jon
    Errickson Home Inspections, LLC
    http://www.erricksonhomeinspections.com

Default Re: separation wall/tape and mud?

Well, that is somewhat of a simple but complicated question and answer. (not to be a smarta$$).
    So let's say your municipality requires a 2/3/4 whatever hour separation. There are various ways one can achieve that X hour wall. How that wall is achieved is often times dictated/referenced by a UL listing #. Your Muni may even reference a particular UL. The UL spells out the type, layer composition, thickness, amount of screws and tape joints in order to achieve that wall rating. That is essentially the legit way of complying with a firewall separation. You state you built the wall according to X UL standard, thank you very much.
    The short answer is, No. Without being taped the wall does not comply. I've never read a UL wall listing that didn't require taping. And yes, I have read quite a few.
    Hope that helps.

www.aic-chicago.com
    773/844-4AIC
    "The Code is not a ceiling to reach but a floor to work up from"

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Errickson View Post

I've been looking around the boards and can't seem to find an answer to this:

does the separation wall/ceiling between the attached garage and living space need to be taped and mudded?
    Jon,

Try a search on this site fire blocking garage walls.
    ( if the wall has gaps between the drywall it's not a proper fire blocking installation. )

It Might have Choked Artie But it ain't gone'a choke Stymie! Our Gang " The Pooch " (1932)
    Billy J. Stephens HI Service Memphis TN.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Errickson View Post
    does the separation wall/ceiling between the attached garage and living space need to be taped and mudded?

Because it is not a fire-rated assembly it is not a fire wall, just a separation wall, however, unless it is taped at the joints then there are gaps, and the gaps would violate the separation wall.

It does not have to be taped pretty, just bedded and taped, in fact only just bedded and taped with no joint compound over the tape to meet absolute minimum requirements, of course, though, it is very difficult to bed and tape without also spreading some joint compound over the tape in the process.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Ok, so I completely over thought this one.

www.aic-chicago.com
    773/844-4AIC
    "The Code is not a ceiling to reach but a floor to work up from"

the wall does not require taping if all the joints land on solid framing. you would have to install the drywall with the long dimension parallel to the studs.

Highlighting with bold red text is mine.

Quote Originally Posted by brian schmitt View Post
    the wall does not require taping if all the joints land on solid framing.

Correct.

... IF ALL ...

If all the joints were backed by framing at least 1-1/2" depth back from the drywall, using 1x lumber to block the joints would not work.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Quote Originally Posted by brian schmitt View Post
    the wall does not require taping if all the joints land on solid framing. you would have to install the drywall with the long dimension parallel to the studs.
    How about covering the seams with drywall strips? This is in an attic, but it looks like an effective way to avoid tape and mud.

Yes, I called for a repair.

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images

Quote Originally Posted by John Kogel View Post
    How about covering the seams with drywall strips? This is in an attic, but it looks like an effective way to avoid tape and mud.

Yes, I called for a repair.
    If those are "fire walls" or "fire partitions" between dwelling units and not just "draftstopping" walls in the attic of a single dwelling unit, they are all completely wrong.

"Repair" would be costly to do it properly (if Canadian building codes require anything like US building codes do).

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    If those are "fire walls" or "fire partitions" between dwelling units and not just "draftstopping" walls in the attic of a single dwelling unit, they are all completely wrong.

"Repair" would be costly to do it properly (if Canadian building codes require anything like US building codes do).
    Yes this was a townhouse attic and that is supposed to be a firewall. In what way would drywall strips over the seams not comply in the US?

Quote Originally Posted by John Kogel View Post
    Yes this was a townhouse attic and that is supposed to be a firewall. In what way would drywall strips over the seams not comply in the US?
    Because it is not anything like this: http://www.gypsum.org/pdf/225-08.pdf

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Cobra Cook Guest

Red face Re: separation wall/tape and mud?

Boy they must sell screws for a living also

I know I am jumping in very late, but I have a solution for any wall that would normally need to be taped and mudded. The product is called E-Z Tape Flame Fighter drywall tape. It is 1 and 2 hour rated for ceilings and walls and does not need mud to pass. it is certified by Intertek and has been around for 20 years. It is not for finishing in an area that needs to look pretty, it is pink and definitely stands out, but in an attic or utility room it works great.