Thread: Hot&Cold

Default Hot&Cold

Which faucet is hot. My understanding is on this type of tub, left faucet should be hot, in this case it was the right faucet which was hot. Which is correct and is it in the plumbing code?

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Member Benefits1

Ted Menelly Guest

Default Re: Hot&Cold

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Roshak View Post
    Which faucet is hot. My understanding is on this type of tub, left faucet should be hot, in this case it was the right faucet which was hot. Which is correct and is it in the plumbing code?

Sitting in the tub the hot should be on your right facing the faucets. It does not matter outside the tub. You are not in the water yet or turning it on in the water. The side has to be correct facing it in the tub

Snowbird (this means I'm retired and migrate between locations), FL/MI

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Menelly View Post
    Sitting in the tub the hot should be on your right facing the faucets. It does not matter outside the tub. You are not in the water yet or turning it on in the water. The side has to be correct facing it in the tub
    I think you have it backwards, Ted Menelly. Hot on the Left as you face the 'buisness end' of the faucet, spout, shower arm, etc.

Richard Roshak,

As to which knob controls the hot or if one knob controls on/off and temperature and the other activates bubbles or jets, we weren't there to operate them, assume you were, so you should know which knob pictured controls what. If access panel you might also have visually traced the plumbing lines, if visable, should water and or utilities have been shut off.

If the location of the hot valve is on the right as you see it in the photo from the outside of the neoangle tub it would be correct, as if in the tub, first facing the spout, then rotating like a top in the center you faced the knobs, the hot would be on the tub occupant's left.

I would, however, be concerned about the spout's location on the corner deck of the tub at the exterior walls' corner intersection between two windows and likely insulated from the thermal envelope of the home by virtue of the tub's location (kept cold, not exposed to warmth) especially in the winter (noted New Jersey mentioned as your location). And be concerned (without additional information) about the potential for freezing especially if the tub is not in use during a cold snap. Unknown if the supply to the spout are otherwise protected or a source of heat/warmth/radiant is provided under the tub.

I would also note a concern if the windows are not safety glass and the proximity of the stools to the flood rim of the tub.

Finally, I question the safety usability factor of the tub install positioning itself. As set and with the tiled deck extension in the foreground, one would most likely be forced to step over/climb over the extended backrest rim with a sloping wall to get in and out of the tub or climb the narrow shelf. It does not appear to be installed as per manufacturer's recommendations, nor in a practical, safe ingress/egress manner. Seems one of the most likely places in a residence for a slip & fall accident, serious in nature, is in a tub and/or combo tub/shower area.

Last edited by H.G. Watson, Sr.; 11-05-2009 at 01:37 PM.

Ted Menelly Guest

Quote Originally Posted by H.G. Watson, Sr. View Post
    I think you have it backwards, Ted Menelly. Hot on the Left as you face the 'buisness end' of the faucet, spout, shower arm, etc.

Yes

Thanks. I got turned around thinking of what he was saying.

You're welcome TM.

This is for the OP in New Jersey:

Richard Roshak,

According to NJ:
    NJ Department of Community Affairs

The 2006 National Standard Plumbing Code (PHCC) is in effect, here is a viewable link:
    http://phcc.files.cms-plus.com/Depts...stratedWeb.pdf

Here's the scoop:

-7.3.6 Orientation and Operation of Faucets
    Where fixtures are supplied with both hot and cold water, the faucet(s) and supply piping shall be installed so that the hot water is controlled from the left side of the fixture or faucet when facing the controls during fixture use.
    Exception: Single handle and single control valves for showers and tub/shower combinations where the hot and cold temperature orientation is marked on the fitting surface. (H.G.'s note: since this is not a combination tub/shower this exception does not apply unless there is a hand shower wand not shown in the photo -- however if there is, there would be additional other "issues" with the wall/window surfaces as shown under both plumbing and building codes).

See also:

Requirements for Bathtubs 7.8, (esp 7.8.4);
    -7.8.4 Backflow Prevention
    Unless equipped with an atmospheric backflow preventer in accordance with ASSE 1001 or ASME A112.18.7, the bathtub filler shall be equipped with an air gap between the end of the over-rim tub filler spout and the overflow rim of the tub that complies with section 10.5

Requirements for Whirlpool Bathtubs 7.9 (If applicable);

and
    -10.15.6 Mixed Water Temperature Control

--b. Bathtubs and Whirlpool Baths: The water discharged into bathtubs and whirlpool baths, with or without deck-mounted hand sprays, shall be controlled to a maximum temperature of 120 degrees F by a device complying with CSA B125.3, ASSE 1070, ASME B122.18.1/CSA B125.1 or ASSE 1016.
    --e. Temperature Actuated Flow Reduction (TAFR) Devices: Where temperature actuated flow reduction (TAFR) devices are installed to limit the maximum discharge temperature to 120 degrees F for individual fixture fittings, such devices shall comply with ASSE 1062. These devices alone shall not supersede the other requirements of Section 10.15.6
    --f. In-Line Pressure Balancing Valves: Where in-line pressure balancing valves are installed to compensate for water pressure fluctuations to stabilize the temperature discharges from their individual faucet or fixture fitting, such devices shall comply with ASSE 1066. These devices shall be installed in an accessible location and alone shall not supersede the other requirements of Section 10.15.6.
    --g. Temperature-Actuated Mixing Valves: Where temperature-actuated mixing valves are installed to control the in-line hot water supply temperature in the water distribution system, they shall comply with ASSE 1017. Such devices shall be installed at the hot water source and alone shall not supersede the other requirements of Section 10.15.6 for mixed water temperature control.
    --i. Alternative Methods: The use of a combination of water temperature control or limiting devices that comply with the standards listed in Table 3.1.3 and satisfy the performance requirements of Section 10.15.6 shall be subject to the approval of the Authority Having Jurisdiction.

The Plumbing Code refers you to the building code for further requirements on accessiblity/access for use on this fixture (beyond the 24/26"), etc.

Hope that helps further identify the why, what, where, when, how for you.

H.G.

H.G Watson Jr.

Since the faucet diverter is away from the wall, at the faucet handles, there is no problem of freezing.
    To my knowledge there is no standard regarding the depth of the deck around the tub itself.
    One can sit on the deck and rotate into and out of the tub, in my opinon a safer method than stepping from the tub to the floor.

H.G Watson Jr.

Since the faucet diverter is away from the wall, at the faucet handles, there is no problem of freezing.
    To my knowledge there is no standard regarding the depth of the deck around the tub itself.
    One can sit on the deck and rotate into and out of the tub, in my opinon a safer method than stepping from the tub to the floor.
    Please explain. The outlet is at the corner, how does the water get there? What diverter? is there more than one spout?

There is, I explained the concern and restriction about the elevated rim which restricts access. The depth of the deck is too narrow to safely sit and rotate but too wide to step over.

Its Sr. actually, two more generations (with a third due (IV)) follow.

H.G Watson Sr.

I would answer all your questions about the faucet and the possiblity of freezing, however it is very remote and I will move on.

After contacting both American Standard and Kohler, they have no and are not aware of a required distance between the tub and edge of tile. One reason is due to the type of faucet you may want to install.

If you have something in writing please post it here as I am also looking to increase my knowledge.