Default CODE FOR OUTLETS NEAR AC UNITS

hey all

remodel of old boulder co home--they did great job and pulled permits and finals done on all, but they left out an electrical outlet on exterior by new 2008 ac unit install. i never knew there had to be one there.

what is the code number on this and when was it added

thanks
    charlie

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Inspection Referral

Default Re: CODE FOR OUTLETS NEAR AC UNITS

by the way

they legalized pot in breckenridge co yeasterday. so why ski anywhere else in the world, except amsterdam.

charlie

That's a new one on me. I also live in Colorado but not Boulder County (thank goodness) so I will be interested in what the code requirement for that outlet is.

"Baseball is like church. Many attend but few understand." Leo Durocher
    Bruce Breedlove
    www.avaloninspection.com

Quote Originally Posted by CHARLIE VAN FLEET View Post
    by the way

they legalized pot in breckenridge co yeasterday. so why ski anywhere else in the world, except amsterdam.

charlie
    True. But possession is still against state law. I wonder how they will sort that one out.

"Baseball is like church. Many attend but few understand." Leo Durocher
    Bruce Breedlove
    www.avaloninspection.com

Snowbird (this means I'm retired and migrate between locations), FL/MI

The requirement for a servicing 15- or 20-ampere-rated receptacle outlet for heating, air-conditioning, and refrigeration equipment has been around for a long time.

For the 2005 NEC you'll find it in Part III "Required Outlets" of Section 210, specifically at 210.63 (however the exception for exaporative coolers was new in 2005).

--210.63 Heating, Air-Conditioning, and Refrigeration Equipment Outlet. A 125-volt, single phase, 15- or 20-ampere-rated receptacle outlet shall be installed at an accessible location for the servicing of heating, air-conditioning, and refrigeration equipment. The receptacle shall be located on the same level and within 7.5 m (25 ft) of the heating, air-conditioning, and refrigeration equipment. The receptacle outlet shall not be connected to the load side of the equipment disconnecting means.

Exception: A receptacle outlet shall not be required at one- and two-family dwellings for the service of evaporative coolers.

FPN: See 210.8 for ground-fault circuit-interrupter requirements.

The Outlet serving the AC may also be one of the required outdoor outlets specified at 210.52 (E); as long as it meets the proximity requirement of 210.63

--210.52 (E) Outdoor Outlets. For a one-family dwelling and each unit of a two-family dwelling that is at grade level, at least one receptacle outlet accessible at grade level and not more than 2.0 m (6-1/2 ft) above grade shall be installed at the front and back of the dwelling.
    -- For each dwelling unit of a multifamily dwelling where the dwelling unit is located at grade level and provided with individual exterior entrance/egress, at least one receptacle outlet accessible from grade level and not more than 2.0 m (6-1/2 ft) above grade shall be installed. See 210.8(A)(3).

oops above post exaporating should have been eVaporating.

Why is it important to know when the requirement first appeared? It would be easier to cross-reference the section number (since that has changed) if you asked for which edition was of curiosity. If the AC was first just now added, it applies. IIRC there was an exception for quite some time for roof-top mounted AC units.

One more thing, Square D and perhaps others have a Listed combo device for the AC Disconnect and a GFCI service receptacle - and the Code permits this. Did you check?

HG
    DID CHECK. nothing within 50 feet of unit

thanks

I believe it was 1987 for rooftops, 1990 for rooftops, attics and crawlspaces, and 2002 for all (dropped the 'rooftops, attics and crawlspaces' limitations).

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Charlie,

You're welcome.

I hate to beat a dead horse, but just in case that fence appeared after the AC install, you did check along the house on the otherside of the fence around the corner and under the eave space, right? (its been passed for proximity out there before in such circumstances, case in point 12' up ).

Quote Originally Posted by H.G. Watson, Sr. View Post

--210.52 (E) Outdoor Outlets. For a one-family dwelling and each unit of a two-family dwelling that is at grade level, at least one receptacle outlet accessible at grade level and not more than 2.0 m (6-1/2 ft) above grade shall be installed at the front and back of the dwelling.
    -- For each dwelling unit of a multifamily dwelling where the dwelling unit is located at grade level and provided with individual exterior entrance/egress, at least one receptacle outlet accessible from grade level and not more than 2.0 m (6-1/2 ft) above grade shall be installed. See 210.8(A)(3).

So, is everybody writing up all of the older homes we see that either don't have outdoor outlets at all, or only have one at one end of the house? Never mind the fact that they're usually not GFCI, and are usually not mounted in proper exterior use housings. I've been thinking of exterior outlets more as a convenience feature, and didn't realize that they were actually a code requirement - not that we cite code.

Last edited by Michael Chambers; 11-08-2009 at 11:15 PM. Reason: To neaten things up a tad!

Jim Radcliffe Guest

I'm stunned at home many inspectors here are not aware of the simple requirements for outlets, etc. Get code certified, guys, so you can do a better job for your clients.

We're not there to quote codes and give a code inspection.

If i'm inspecting a house and there are no outside outlets, I always make a comment in my report. That way they're not walking around their house three times after they move in looking for an outlet to plug in their Christmas lights (or whatever).

-Jon
    Errickson Home Inspections, LLC
    http://www.erricksonhomeinspections.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Errickson View Post
    We're not there to quote codes and give a code inspection.
    No, but you ARE there to inspect the house, which was supposedly built to code, and your REASON for being there is to find what if deficient, and the way to know what is deficient is to know what WAS SUPPOSED TO BE THERE and how it was supposed to be there, et al, i.e., as in accordance with minimum "code" and manufacturer's installation instructions.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Jerry -- Agreed. I'm just saying in my approach i don't like to quote codes in my report. I'm not there to say, 'These things aren't up to code.' But i certainly have a familiarity with the codes.

-Jon

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Errickson View Post
    Jerry -- Agreed. I'm just saying in my approach i don't like to quote codes in my report. I'm not there to say, 'These things aren't up to code.' But i certainly have a familiarity with the codes.
    Jon,

Agreed, but the way to advance and set yourself apart from the other inspectors in your area is to provide documentation in your reports, i.e., code and manufacturers installation instructions.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

It's interesting because, if you recall i posted the question asking about the separation wall between the attached garage and living spaces and if the joints should be sealed. There's nothing in the wording of the code that specifically says the joints should be sealed -- but it makes sense. I was hoping to quote the code in that case, but the wording didn't back me up. So i presented it more as a safety issue.

I think knowing the codes is great, and knowing why those codes are in place is even better. And use that information (ie. safety issue, structural issue, etc.) to back up your assessments.

-Jon

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Radcliffe View Post
    I'm stunned at home many inspectors here are not aware of the simple requirements for outlets, etc. Get code certified, guys, so you can do a better job for your clients.
    I'm stunned that some don't understand that every inspector doesn't start out immediately knowing everything about home inspections that they would ultimately like to. That is one reason why we come to this forum and ask questions - so that we can do a better job for our clients. Just because we take the risk to drop our pants (figuratively speaking) and display our short-comings, doesn't mean that it's necessary or appropriate to immediately take pot shots at our a$$.

Jon E. had the best answer to my question, and I appreciate the logic of what he posted. Also, although I agree with Jerry that it's important that we are familiar with the codes (and I'm trying real hard), I have learned from others that to actually cite code in an inspection report is to possibly start down a slippery slope as far as liability is concerned.

I look for it on the same side of the home as the condenser and within sight of it...

We know why you fly: because the bus is too expensive and the railroad has a dress code...
    www.atozinspector.com

If that house was built under the 1999 NEC or Earlier it was not a requirement, Then it's not a defect.

If it was built under the 2002 NEC or earlier it is required and is a defect.

As far as only having one exterior receptacle -

The requirement to have 2 exterior receptacles did not become a requirment until the 1996 Code cycle. Prior to that - One receptacle was all that was required

Interesting approach KH, but I don't agree.

However, irrespective of when a home was built, if an AC condenser was first introduced at ground level after the requirement was in effect, the service receptacle would have been required at the same time.

I read that Charlie said this was part of a remodel and first installed 2008.

Swamp coolers were the norm in most arid areas of CO, AC and HPs are more recently increasingly popular with the changes in climate last many years.

HG-
    My bad I missed the "remodel " part of it.
    It seems this issue is one that gets missed by a lot of inspectors , both code enforcement and HI alike.

Still what I posted is correct for original istalls - Just tossing out the code facts for those who wish or desire to learn them