Eric Kuzma Guest

Default Window safety glazing when adjacent to door

I'm wondering if someone can help me with an explanation and/or clarification for the code provision concerning window(s) needing to be saftey glazed when within a 24" arc of a door. More specifically the exception addressing locations where there is an intervening wall.

First question, what is the actual basis for this code provision?

Second the intervening wall, (I'm assuming refers to a wall perpendicular to the wall containing the wall and window, and between them) does there need to be an intervening wall on both sides of the wall (containing the window and door) or does one side suffice, and if so, does it matter which side?

Thanks.

I'm new to this forum, I searched for this topic and didn't find it specifically addressed, if it has been, could someone please direct me to the link.

Similar Threads:
    Member Benefits1

Default Re: Window safety glazing when adjacent to door

Here's a thread from the archives:
    Tempered Glass - InspectionNews.com

"There is no exception to the rule that every rule has an exception." -James Thurber, writer and cartoonist (1894-1961)
    www.ArnoldHomeInspections.com

Here's another thread which may overlap/reference the first one:

http://www.inspectionnews.net/home_i...t-windows.html

"There is no exception to the rule that every rule has an exception." -James Thurber, writer and cartoonist (1894-1961)

Eric Kuzma Guest

Thank you for directing me to those previous posts,
    I looked them over but didn't really see my question specifically addressed.

I'm probably splitting hairs, but without knowing the basis of the code requirement for window saftey glazing within 24" of a door, in trying to understand the exception which adresses intervening walls, it's not clear to me whether the intervening wall needs to be on both sides or if as the code states (singularly) on one side suffices.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Kuzma View Post
    I'm probably splitting hairs, but without knowing the basis of the code requirement for window saftey glazing within 24" of a door, in trying to understand the exception which adresses intervening walls, it's not clear to me whether the intervening wall needs to be on both sides or if as the code states (singularly) on one side suffices.
    The basis for the code is to include safety glazing in the area around the door in which you might: a) poke your hand through the glass; b) fall through the glass.

An intervening wall stops you from coming in contact with the glazing on the other side of that intervening wall - which mean there is no need for it to be safety glazing.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Eric Kuzma Guest

I'm sorry to persist on this.....
    We just had this come up on a jobsite and there was never really resolution.
    So, if the door is on an exterior wall, and swings indoors, and there is an intervening interior wall between the door and an adjacent window (within a 24" arc) but no intervening exterior wall, does the window still need to be saftey glazed?

Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Kuzma View Post
    So, if the door is on an exterior wall, and swings indoors, and there is an intervening interior wall between the door and an adjacent window (within a 24" arc) but no intervening exterior wall, does the window still need to be saftey glazed?...
    As Jerry said, the idea is to provide some protection in case a person tries to put their hand through the glass or fall through it, so, if there is no wall to prevent that from happening, interior or exterior, then the window needs to be safety glazed.

Eric
    Do you have a copy of the IRC 2009? If not, you should, assuming you’re in any state but California and then you would need the California Building Code 2007.

Back to the 2009 IRC, check section 308.4, and then note exceptions.
    I'm not as patient or as thorough as EC Jerry, therefore do not cite codes word for word as I believe ever single serious home inspector should have a building code book collection and keep it current as they usually come up with new versions at every 3 year cycle.

This area you are asking about is a vital one in that its addressing occupant safety and that is probably the single most important area that home inspectors address – bar none !

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Jerry McCarthy
    Building Code/ Construction Consultant

Philippe Heller Guest

Here is a good article with illustrations written by Douglas Hansen, author of the Code Check series.

http://codecheck.com/cc/images/Safet...gArticle07.pdf

Exclamation Re: Window safety glazing when adjacent to door

Is the 24" same for commercial application, or is the arc greater, say 48"?

Quote Originally Posted by BARRY ADAIR View Post
    no offense
    you ask a double question in one sentence like "the Bride"
    i can only answer the same as i do her
    yes & no

afaik
    glazing is glazing regardless of the structure' intended or unintended purpose-use
    this can change over time or rezoning

Too funny....after 42 yrs of marriage to the same woman...I'm well trained!
    Thanks for the article
    -Chuck