chris mcintyre Guest

Default Code compliant connector?

I am finishing a house for a homeowner (original contractor has gone out of business).
    New construction home that has a lot of elecrical issues, and a lot of these connections.
    My electrician said he would never use this type of connection, but was not sure it was a code violation.

Any thoughts? Thanks in advance.

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    OREP Insurance

Default Re: Code compliant connector?

Not as done, as it was not done per manufacturers instructions & not using the proper crimping tool, plus how was it insulated???

A real hack way of using splice caps is to simply use lineman's pliers to crimp them flat on a splice, a very poor method IMO.
    Buchannon (Ideal) specs the use of their C24 Press-Sure-Tool for their brand of splice caps, they may list others but I use that tool.

chris mcintyre Guest

Rollie,

It had a couple of round of tape on it, I pulled it off to see what was there because it is not something I see around here.

Judging from what I have seen, it is safe to say there are no specialty tools being used.

Quote Originally Posted by chris mcintyre View Post
    Rollie,

It had a couple of round of tape on it, I pulled it off to see what was there because it is not something I see around here.

Judging from what I have seen, it is safe to say there are no specialty tools being used.
    I have some of those crimped connections in my place, dating back to 1968. Crimped right, they make a good connection, but the tape needs to be checked and renewed.
    No way I'd use those in new construction except for grounding to save space.

Richard Pultar Guest

call for a inspection to get the electrical inspectors opinion, looks like no rough inspection was done..

chris mcintyre Guest

"call for a inspection to get the electrical inspectors opinion"

There are no inspections for each trade, one inspector does it all .

[quote
    There are no inspections for each trade, one inspector does it all
    quote]

Problem with that ???

chris mcintyre Guest

Ken,
    I personally get along with all (4) inspectors in my county. One was an electrician, one was a plumber, one was a framer and the other inspector I'm not sure.
    When we call for a complete rough in (framing, plumbing, electrical, mechanical) you can tell who the inspector was from what was written up. I don't think they are doing a poor job, I just think letting them inspect what they know best would make more sense.

Last edited by chris mcintyre; 11-07-2009 at 11:24 AM. Reason: spelling

Chris-
    I whole heartedly agree with you on this. I even know some combination residential inspectors who also agree with that line of thought!
    I was always told " You can't beat a man at his own trade".

I was curious as to what your reply was going to be.

[quote=Richard Pultar;107838]call for a inspection to get the electrical inspectors opinion, looks like no rough inspection was done..[/quote]How can you tell?

Quote Originally Posted by chris mcintyre View Post

There are no inspections for each trade, one inspector does it all .
    Maybe in your part of the world.
    In NY, PA and other states, we use third party electrical inspectors for our electrical work. The building dept does NOT do electrical inspections.

Quote Originally Posted by Speedy Petey View Post
    Maybe in your part of the world.
    In NY, PA and other states, we use third party electrical inspectors for our electrical work. The building dept does NOT do electrical inspections.

That varies not only from state to state, but within a state from AHJ to AHJ.

An example is South Florida, which has a high population, and where one inspector inspects for one trade (when working for the municipalities), versus up where I am now and one inspector may were many hats, depending on their experience, training, and state certifications, I wear many hats, including, but not limited to: building, mechanical, plumbing, and electrical when I do my code inspections, and I do both residential and commercial (non-residential) inspections. For plan review I am currently limited to building plan review only.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com