Thread: Living area

Stephen J Stokes Guest

Default Living area

An unfinished basement, (no windows, no HVAC), with a 2 car downstairs garage. Access is from a stairway from the main floor and a passage door to the garage. Laundry hookups in basement but no bath.
    Builder says no living area permitted by AHJ without extensive renovation to the basement.
    Testing shows 4.5 pCu/L in the basement and 3.1 main level.
    This becomes a Realty issue due to "living area" and ernest money but what do you think? Buyer wants to walk but builder says he'll keep the ernest money.
    I've also run into this in "hand dug" basements in a home that was original crawl space.

Similar Threads:
    Crawl Space Creeper

Richard Pultar Guest

Default Re: Living area

who's on third

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen J Stokes View Post
    Builder says no living area permitted by AHJ without extensive renovation to the basement.
    Testing shows 4.5 pCu/L in the basement and 3.1 main level.
    This becomes a Realty issue due to "living area" and ernest money but what do you think? Buyer wants to walk but builder says he'll keep the ernest money.
    Not sure what the problem is, other than a buyer planning on making a "living area" in the basement/garage where it has been stated it would not be allowed.

Thus I don't see what the "Realty issue" is.

How much radon is allowed in the non-living area basement/garage? Is it within that "acceptable" "action level"?

If so, what is the problem?

(Other than as I stated above - the buyer is planning on making a living area in the basement/garage illegally without permits and know that will be a problem when he goes to sell the house with a "living area" which has a >4 radon test reading.)

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Stephen J Stokes Guest

OK, I was on third, but the Yankees won anyway.
    Jerry hits it on the head, the realty issue depends on the contract. They used to be one letter sized page but now is 4 legal pages with addenda. OK, not going there.