Default Heat pump return vent

Todays home, apx 30 yrs old, 2500 sq.' single level, had two heat pumps on the roof, one for the front of home, and one for the rear.
    There was only one return/ air filter at the front of the home.
    Shouldn't there be two, One for each unit ?
    Both units were working properly.

Similar Threads:
    Last edited by Dan Harris; 11-09-2009 at 05:08 PM.
    Inspection Referral
    Phoenix AZ Resale Home, Mobile Home, New Home Warranty Inspections. ASHI Certified Inspector #206929 Arizona Certified Inspector # 38440
    www.inspectaz.com

Default Re: Heat pump return vent

Dan

I assume that you are referring to two package heat pumps on the roof? If that is the case, I have never seen one return for both units and I would write it up as a defect.

If I was to guess, these were probably (2) three ton units. Out here most three ton returns are at least 20x25 inches. For two units, you would need twice the size. How large was the return area? With both units running, was there a lot of noise or whistling sounds at the return from restricted air movement?

If the return was large enough for both units, I would still have a problem with it. If only one heat pump was running, you could have unfiltered air pulled back through the other unit. Not an ideal situation.

I would recommend having it serviced by and air conditioning company.

Jeff

Default Re: Heat pump return vent

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Euriech View Post
    Dan

I assume that you are referring to two package heat pumps on the roof? If that is the case, I have never seen one return for both units and I would write it up as a defect.

If I was to guess, these were probably (2) three ton units. Out here most three ton returns are at least 20x25 inches. For two units, you would need twice the size. How large was the return area? With both units running, was there a lot of noise or whistling sounds at the return from restricted air movement?

If the return was large enough for both units, I would still have a problem with it. If only one heat pump was running, you could have unfiltered air pulled back through the other unit. Not an ideal situation.

I would recommend having it serviced by and air conditioning company.

Jeff
    Hi Jeff.
    The units were roof mounted, on a flat roof with partial over head ducting.
    I didn't hear any signs of restricted air flow.
    All I found was one 20X25 opening.
    I'm leaning on having a HVAC contractor checking it out.

Phoenix AZ Resale Home, Mobile Home, New Home Warranty Inspections. ASHI Certified Inspector #206929 Arizona Certified Inspector # 38440
    www.inspectaz.com