Samuel Landis Guest

Default Who needs inspections?

Member Benefits1

Kevin Barre Guest

Default Re: Who needs inspections?

OK--

I see the exposed meter base socket. But it looks like the (presumably) overhead service line is laying on the ground behind the pole. In other words, not hooked up to the source.

Am I missing something?

only that the meter encosure is upside down

Kevin Barre Guest

Quote Originally Posted by paul hardy View Post
    only that the meter encosure is upside down
    My bad. I looked at the "danger" decal (which is upside down) and didn't look much more at the housing.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Barre View Post
    My bad. I looked at the "danger" decal (which is upside down) and didn't look much more at the housing.
    It was pretty difficult to spot in a pic. It would be easy at an inspection.

Department of Redundancy Department
    Supreme Emperor of Hyperbole
    http://www.FullCircleInspect.com/

Samuel Landis Guest

The meter base is upside down. The sticker was removed and placed on the "new" bottom. The lady stated that they debated for some time on which way it should go. They guessed wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunnar Alquist View Post
    It was pretty difficult to spot in a pic. It would be easy at an inspection.
    Not so sure, not as soon as you realize the latch is on the top and go ... WTH??? ... then look down and see where the cover tucks down into the lip, which is when you go ... oh crap, that is upside down.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Ron Bibler Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Samuel Landis View Post
    Look closely at the photo.

Samuel what part of WV Is this... We have a farm on campbell hill just out side of smithville. Love that old place. My grand father built the place back in 1920/1930 Its like home to me. As the song say Take me home country road.

Best

Ron

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    Not so sure, not as soon as you realize the latch is on the top and go ... WTH??? ... then look down and see where the cover tucks down into the lip, which is when you go ... oh crap, that is upside down.
    Ok, maybe I should have said "It was pretty difficult for ME to spot in the pic". sheesh.

Department of Redundancy Department
    Supreme Emperor of Hyperbole
    http://www.FullCircleInspect.com/

Most people would not have a problem telling the top from the bottom but,If the homeowner "had to guess" which way the meter socket went you better go over the entire install carefully!

If they can't figure out the top from the bottom on a simple meter enclosure how the hell can they figure out the proper and safe way to do the grounding, ( good chance the grounded and grounding conductors are wrong in the interior panel) the proper way to terminate the conductors ( no nicks in the copper or aluminum conductors) proper torque on the lugs ( which I bet are torqued way too tight!)

Some folks are better left to working at wal mart or the local fast food joint

Samuel Landis Guest

Ron,

This was in the Sissonsville area, about 15 miles northwest of Charleston.

Ken,

This is typical of what I see everyday. The home owner, in order to save money, will do the work themselves. This was my second trip. The first, if you can imagine, was worse. I always check the torque, which is usually only finger tight. I know the code speaks of workmanship, but if I didn't overlook "ugly" I wouldn't be able to pass very many. My goal is to make sure the connections are tight, the correct size and type wire is used, wires are where they should be, and the the grounding is correct. Basically, make sure the install is safe and code compliant. I have also seen "licensed" electricians' work that is just about as poor.