A.D. Miller Guest

Default Ain't that a Hole in the Floor

So I'm replacing the nasty carpet that the builder installed in my house 22 years ago with tile. Today they removed the carpet and found a crack in the floor. Upon closer investigation the crack proved to be a large void in the slab - about 4 s.f. What I plan to do, if someone from this forum does not convince me otherwise in the next 30 minutes, is to have them fill the void with Sakrete 5000, thinset 1/2" Hardibacker over the top, point our toes and continue with the tiling. What say ye?

Similar Threads:
    Crawl Space Creeper

Snowbird (this means I'm retired and migrate between locations), FL/MI

Default Re: Ain't that a Hole in the Floor

Too lazy to look it up and in a de-cafienated haze, is 5000 Sakrete one of those fiber-enchanced reinforcing mixes?

No mention of a bonding agent, subbase or VP, or radon issues, dare I assume?

There are some membrane products that might do better for you (the ditra people make one) installed before backer.

And I gotta ask, what was holding/keeping ya'll up outta the hole/void? kevlar carpet backing and big feet??

A.D. Miller Guest

Quote Originally Posted by H.G. Watson, Sr. View Post
    Too lazy to look it up and in a de-cafienated haze, is 5000 Sakrete one of those fiber-enchanced reinforcing mixes?

No mention of a bonding agent, subbase or VP, or radon issues, dare I assume?

And I gotta ask, what was holding/keeping ya'll up outta the hole/void? kevlar carpet backing and big feet??
    HG: 5000 is a fiber-enhanced product that is often used without remesh or rebar. Bonding to the old slab, even with an agent will likely not work over time anyway, so I think I'll save the money for Cabernet. No real radon issues here. At 242 lbs. sans cladding, I too am surprised that my big ass did not discover this void sooner.

Aaron,

Had someone maybe jackhammered out an opening in the slab before to repair a water leak or something.

Got a picture?

rick

How wide is this gap and where is it? Does it run the entire distance from one side to the other? Could it be two-part pour and missing/fallen/erroded exp joint (not a mono slab)? Is it level from one side of the "void" to the other?

Any other signs of movement in the attic? walls? etc.? I don't recall how large Miller Castle might be or percisely where in TX, (do recall a Koi pond and some geo coordinates at one time but never checked... or is it in spain ? wouldn't be the first slab foundation in TX to need some slab pinning or piering though esp. if in clay area that needs foundation perimeter kept moist.

Honestly, I wouldn't sakrete it up without having it checked out first by an SE, then again I haven't seen it, not even a pic.

IIRC ditra membrane set on a fast setting latex-portland cement mortar to concrete; tile above, no BB.

Aww dang, I just realized it took me too long to type out that last prior response, and the 30-minute period for discussion/debate/convincing argument had expired.

So, I guess, you've already made a decision, and .... nevermind.

A.D. Miller Guest

Quote Originally Posted by H.G. Watson, Sr. View Post
    Aww dang, I just realized it took me too long to type out that last prior response, and the 30-minute period for discussion/debate/convincing argument had expired.

So, I guess, you've already made a decision, and .... nevermind.
    HG: Go ahead, they're not back from Home Depot yet.

Nolan Kienitz Guest

Aaron,

Are you sure it is not a "black hole portal" ???

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images

A.D. Miller Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Nolan Kienitz View Post
    Aaron,

Are you sure it is not a "black hole portal" ???
    NK: If it is, I feel sorry for the last one to pass out through it because it is concreted shut forever . . . live long and prosper . . .

Always use Epoxy for concrete cracks, it is the best if ever it cracks again it will be somewhere else.

Rolland Pruner

Livermore, Ca