mathew stouffer Guest

Default Safety Drain Pans Under Water Softeners

Does the IRC address drainage pans for water softeners? I looked and only found R/O systems addressed. Recieved a call today from a plumber freaking out because I recommended a pan under the water softener. New condo located on the third floor. Told him I was not going to be responsible if the unit leaks. He was crying because they were going to have to install a "customized pan" under the unit or the buyer would not purchase the home. I told him his pan would cost less then an insurance claim. Then he started in with the code argument. As I am sure many of you would have responded, I told him it is common sense to have a pan. These units leak all the time. But back to the question, does the IRC specifically address the issue.

Similar Threads:
    Member Benefits1

Tony Watson Guest

Default Re: Safety Drain Pans Under Water Softeners

I would check and see what the manufacturer recomends. They will want to cover themselves.

AdamHart Guest

Ray Norton Guest

The 2006 International Plumbing Code addresses it. I hope this helps.

504.7 Required pan.
    Where water heaters or hotwater storage tanks are installed in locations where leakage of the tanks or connections will cause damage, the tank or water heater shall be installed in a galvanized steel pan having a minimum thickness of 24 gage, or other pans approved for such use.
    504.7.1 Pan size and drain. The pan shall be not less than 1.5 inches (38 mm) deep and shall be of sufficient size and shape to receive all dripping or condensate from the tank or water heater. The pan shall be drained by an indirect waste pipe having a minimum diameter of 3/4 inch (19 mm).
    504.7.2 Pan drain termination. The pan drain shall extend full-size and terminate over a suitably located indirectwaste receptor or floor drain or extend to the exterior of the building and terminate not less than 6 inches (152 mm) and not more than 24 inches (610 mm) above the adjacent ground surface.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Norton View Post
    The 2006 International Plumbing Code addresses it. I hope this helps.

504.7 Required pan.
    Where water heaters or hotwater storage tanks are installed in locations where leakage of the tanks or connections will cause damage, the tank or water heater shall be installed in a galvanized steel pan having a minimum thickness of 24 gage, or other pans approved for such use.
    504.7.1 Pan size and drain. The pan shall be not less than 1.5 inches (38 mm) deep and shall be of sufficient size and shape to receive all dripping or condensate from the tank or water heater. The pan shall be drained by an indirect waste pipe having a minimum diameter of 3/4 inch (19 mm).
    504.7.2 Pan drain termination. The pan drain shall extend full-size and terminate over a suitably located indirectwaste receptor or floor drain or extend to the exterior of the building and terminate not less than 6 inches (152 mm) and not more than 24 inches (610 mm) above the adjacent ground surface.

No doubt this is good practice, but the section you provided only applies to water heaters or hot water storage tanks. No way this section would be enforceable on water softeners.
    Got anything else? IMHO there should be a code requirement just because common sense seems to never prevail.

Jim Luttrall
    www.MrInspector.net
    Plano, Texas

mathew stouffer Guest

Well code or not, I mention it. I had one leak on a prior inspection and cause a lot of damage to the unit below. The HOA took care of it.

Quote Originally Posted by mathew stouffer View Post
    Well code or not, I mention it. I had one leak on a prior inspection and cause a lot of damage to the unit below. The HOA took care of it.
    Did the washing machine have a pan for it to sit in?

What about an ice maker? (I must admit I have never seen one in a pan, but I have seen a good deal of damage from ice makers!)

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Ryan Stouffer Guest

Scott, I have actually seen a lot of washing machines with pans under them. Good idea I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Stouffer View Post
    Scott, I have actually seen a lot of washing machines with pans under them. Good idea I think.
    Oh, I agree 100% that any washing machine on an upper floor should have a pan under them. In fact take a look at this custom made one I found last week in a home.

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Ryan Stouffer Guest

Nice one!