Jody Humbert Guest

Question Water heater venting

I came across this venting set-up for a hot water heater in the basement. House is 20 years old. I immediately remembered the vent at the wall of the basement and thought that this was not acceptable because this is not a high efficiency water heater and should be vented above the roof. I have never seen this type of metal vent(single wall?). I was told by the owner that his contractor from the build did this installation and said it was acceptable. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Similar Threads:
    OREP Insurance

Jody Humbert Guest

Talking Re: Water heater venting

Oops. Forgot the photos. Here they are. Thanks.

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images

Tony Watson Guest

Default Re: Water heater venting

It's a direct-vent wtr htr, and it looks like the manufacturers recomendation and instructions, for venting.

The vent shouldn't be in contact with the insulation and the paper facing shouldn't be exposed.

"There is no exception to the rule that every rule has an exception." -James Thurber, writer and cartoonist (1894-1961)
    www.ArnoldHomeInspections.com

Jody Humbert Guest

I have called out the insulation. Is a direct vent water heater that is not high efficiency allowed to vent at ground level? What about gases and exposure to people around them. This is directly under a deck.

Tony Watson Guest

AO Smith allows it to be under deck a min of 12", and if under the deck is open on at least two sides.

A. O. Smith Water Heaters
    scroll down to the promax direct vent pdf

Jon mackay Guest

This should answer any questions you have. I ran into the same type and found the manual.

Attached Files Attached Files

Jody Humbert Guest

Thanks again for all your comments and the visuals.