Thread: Ridge support

mathew stouffer Guest

Default Ridge support

This was a town home built in 07. The photo is a king post/crown post connecting to the ridge beam at the end of a ridge where two hips meet. I could no see what type of suport was provided beneath the area due to the foam insulation. I have not seen a configuration like this, looks pretty creative. The ends of the tie beam beneath the post were rotating slightly and the tie beam was nailed to the trusses. Best I could do with the photos.

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Crawl Space Creeper

Default Re: Ridge support

I'm often amused by things like your pictures show. On newer buildings I rarely bring it up since I can't see the whole picture (insulation, lack of good access, etc) and there's a good chance it's engineered which means the code book doesn't even really apply to some areas. Picking apart a roof framing system truss by truss is just way beyond what we'd ever be held responsible for IMO.

mathew stouffer Guest

Matt, thanks. I realize it's beyond our responsibility, but I always like to try and learn more if possible.

It looks like they are trying to spread the weight of the post across several points with that layout. Most likely they were following an engineer's plan, goofy as it may seem.

I see cause for some concern in those trusses in the 3rd pic. They are not vertical so they can't be carrying the load properly. That looks like a mistake from here, but it's only one picture.

How much of a load are we talking for that bit of roof? 2 feet of wet snow? Is there a warranty for the structure? Probably. Is it a strata responsibility? Most likely. Should you report it? That's a tough question. It wouldn't hurt to have it looked at. JMO.

Last edited by John Kogel; 11-14-2009 at 11:55 AM.

chris mcintyre Guest

there's a good chance it's engineered
    I agree that the truss section of the roof was engineered, but I am going to go out on a limb here and say that the install is not even close to what was designed.

I don't know where to start, the out of plumb trusses just sitting on the ones below (which means the ones below are not where they should be), the 2x4's that just end in mid air, etc.....

I would be the first to defend the framers if I thought they were right, but this is a real butcher job.

mathew stouffer Guest

I mentioned the trusses in the third pic. There is no point of contract between the verticle member and the rafter, and they just end at the top.

mathew stouffer Guest

Thanks for the help. After talking to a board member on the HOA, I found out they have had a few issues with the framing.