Thread: lead removal

Default lead removal

Hi guys, does anyone have a link or pdf or approved lead removal methods? Client called yesterday asking if it was Ok to remove lead paint with a heat gun. Stated I didn't know whether it was approved or not. Told her I thought it was a bad idea due to the potential fumes and headaches and wouldn't recommend it. Turns out her contractor is removing lead paint from windows and trim with a heat gun, tenant is complaining about fumes and headaches and wants landlord to pay for a hotel room.
    Any info is appreciated, Thanks Markus

Similar Threads:
    Inspection Referral
    www.aic-chicago.com
    773/844-4AIC
    "The Code is not a ceiling to reach but a floor to work up from"

Default Re: lead removal

Heat guns and open flames are prohibited abatement methods, as defined by HUD.:

http://www.hud.gov/offices/lead/lbp/...lines/Ch12.pdf

All their guidelines for lead based paint concerns can be found here, including temporary lodging during the abatement process.

The HUD Guidelines for the Evaluation and Control of Lead-based Paint in Housing

Dom.

Dom, according to the information you posted (thanks, good info) heat guns are NOT totally prohibited. Open flame and heat guns operating above 1100 degrees are prohibited.
    It appears that lower temperature heat guns are allowed.

Jim Luttrall
    www.MrInspector.net
    Plano, Texas

Jim,

Yes, you're right. Lower temp heat guns are allowed. (Although I wouldn't trust someone to use it only on low... )

Dom.

Dom, Thanks for the info. Looks very helpful
    Markus

www.aic-chicago.com
    773/844-4AIC

john_opwin Guest

Here is the pdf file , have a look at it
    www(dot)cmhc-schl.gc(dot)ca/odpub/pdf/61941(dot)pdf

chris mcintyre Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Markus Keller View Post
    Turns out her contractor is removing lead paint from windows and trim with a heat gun, tenant is complaining about fumes and headaches and wants landlord to pay for a hotel room.
    As of April 22nd you must be certified to remove lead paint, and if you are not it could be very expensive if you get caught.

Remodelers Brace for April Deadline of Lead Paint Rule - Codes And Standards, Lead-Safe Practices, Legal Issues, Training - Remodeling Magazine

Nice little doc there John, thanks for the link.
    Chris I talked with a guy a few months ago about the licensing. He thinks he's a big shot now that he's licensed. Has a real chip on his shoulder about protecting the public, blah, blah. It's kind of funny to me, since in other conversations he just came off as 'Joe dump it in some other alley' contractor.
    Between classes, State cost and EPA cost, it's about 1K here in IL as of last year.

www.aic-chicago.com
    773/844-4AIC

Snowbird (this means I'm retired and migrate between locations), FL/MI

This is the main page for rennovations and repairs regarding Lead Paint on the EPA's website. Lots of good links can be found here (including rules on the contractor lead-certifications):

Lead: Renovation, Repair and Painting Rule | Lead in Paint, Dust, and Soil | US EPA

chris mcintyre Guest

Between classes, State cost and EPA cost, it's about 1K here in IL as of last year.
    When it is all said and done, that is about what I'm looking at (if I decide to do it). More money, more paperwork, more liability..

H.G.- That's the exact page I was looking for, Thanks!