Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: National exam

Ryan Stouffer Guest

Ted Menelly Guest

Default Re: National exam

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Stouffer View Post
    What is a good national exam to take to be certified as a home inspector? NACHI or ASHI?
    As a certified ??? Home Inspector ???

Well if you want to take a decent exam for home inspection the National Home Inspectors Exam is a good one. I think ASHI still uses it.

The only certification that you will get from ASHI or NACHI is there certification to you and if you send a sampling of inspection reports for them to scrutinize (which says nothing to how good you actually did your inspection) and after so many inspection (ASHI) you go up the ladder from their newbies to a certified home inspector. You are better off with a good local/state association. A national association will do nothing but maybe get you a few referrals during the course of the year and lighter in the pocket when you can do all that with a local association. There are many inspectors that belong to several associations. This again is to gain referrals but keep in mind that all these associations charge a fee to belong.

Go to this link

National Home Inspector Examination - The Examination Board of Professional Home Inspectors

Last edited by Ted Menelly; 03-09-2011 at 10:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Menelly View Post
    As a certified ??? Home Inspector ???

Well if you want to take a decent exam for home inspection the National Home Inspectors Exam is a good one. I think ASHI still uses it.

The only certification that you will get from ASHI or NACHI is there certification to yo and if you send a sampling of inspection reports for them to scrutinize (which says nothing to how good you actually did your inspection) and after so many inspection (ASHI) you go up the ladder from their newbies to a certified home inspector. You are better off with a good local/state association. A national association will do nothing but maybe get you a few referrals during the course of the year and lighter in the pocket when you can do all that with a local association. There are many inspectors that belong to several associations. This again is to gain referrals but keep in mind that all these associations charge a fee to belong.

Go to this link

National Home Inspector Examination - The Examination Board of Professional Home Inspectors
    Ryan, Ted has answered your question pretty good.

Basically all of the home inspector associations provide a self serving type of certification. Outside of the organization they don't mean very much, but one of the associations is trying to change that.

This year ASHI stepped through the hoops to have their certification process accredited by NCCA Accreditation, which is a third party organization that approves certification programs. They are the only HI association that has done this. This is a step in the right direction for our profession. Maybe the other associations will do the same.

You have a very good ASHI chapter in your area. I think they meet in Midvale, Frank Larson is their contact person in the chapter 801-201-9583

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

What is a good national exam to take to be certified as a home inspector? NACHI or ASHI?

Anytime your ready to take one of the mentioned, let me know.
    I will gurantee I will get you a 90% plus test score, on one of them, in 12-14 Min.

Phoenix AZ Resale Home, Mobile Home, New Home Warranty Inspections. ASHI Certified Inspector #206929 Arizona Certified Inspector # 38440
    www.inspectaz.com

David McGuire Guest

Dan I recently took a class for home inspections. 80 hours over the course of 1 week. 5 of us in the class, 4 of which have taking the NHIE already. 2 passed and 2 failed. I am testing May 7. What is this 12 to 14 minute help you describe?

Don't know if it's still true, but there used to be a substantial fail at rate on Illinois licensing exam, which I breezed through in around a quarter of the allotted time (including double checking all my answers) and which IMO anybody remotely competent to be inspecting homes ought to be able to breeze through as well.

To me these tests are sort of like municipal code inspections: the ability to pass them means only that you meet the absolute minimum standard.

The good news (at least from the standpoint of someone entering the business, from the standpoint of people hiring inspectors, perhaps not so much ) is that when I started out I was rarely asked - and I'm still rarely asked today - about professional association membership or even about the nature of my experience.

Michael Thomas
    Paragon Property Services Inc., Chicago IL
    http://paragoninspects.com

David McGuire Guest

When I took the practice 225 question test we had in class I breezed through it as well. It was supposed to be a good crass section of the test pool on the NHIE. But I finished the exam 45 minutes ahead of everyone else and was afraid I sped through it and finished far to early. All through the week our instructors all said the same, understand the theory of what and why your inspecting something, the operating parameters of the systems along with an understand of the Code of Ethics and SOP and you won't have a problem.

Well, I guess I'll see come May 7TH.

Ken Bates Guest

As a University freshman I was advised to learn the material rathter than just study it in order to pass exams. I.e. if you learned the subject you will pass the test.

Test preparatory classes should be made illegal as they only teach you how to pass the exam RELYING ON A REPRESENTATIVE QUANTITY OF QUESTIONS AND ANSWERS ACTUALLY USED IN PRIOR EXAMS. What kind of ego and morality do you have if you need to take prep courses to pass exams??

There's no comparison between the NHIE and NACHI exam. I took the NHIE exam once without any prep class or cheat sheets or question samples. I took it with total honesty. I finished before the allotted time and scored high marks (B's and some A's)

As a joke, I took the NACHI exam online after reading about it in a blog.

I scored 98% correct marks using just one half of the allotted time and did this while consuming 4 stiff margaritas. Nuff said.

David McGuire Guest

Thank you Ken. The class I took taught the theory and fundamentals of inspection. It did not teach the test pool. The sample test pool was there just for our own FYI. I know people from all over the country come to take the classes offered at this school. I am very comfortable with my knowledge of the theory and fundamentals. I spend about an hour a day going over the ASHI SOP/Code of Ethics and the Code Check book. I look at several inspection samples. I have 3D Elite installed and I am very comfortable with the software. So I feel I am ready and confident I will be alright.

Quote Originally Posted by David McGuire View Post
    Thank you Ken. The class I took taught the theory and fundamentals of inspection. It did not teach the test pool. The sample test pool was there just for our own FYI. I know people from all over the country come to take the classes offered at this school. I am very comfortable with my knowledge of the theory and fundamentals. I spend about an hour a day going over the ASHI SOP/Code of Ethics and the Code Check book. I look at several inspection samples. I have 3D Elite installed and I am very comfortable with the software. So I feel I am ready and confident I will be alright.
    David, the test will not be difficult if you know the material. Most have problems with Electrical, Structural, and HVAC. Keep in mind the exam is looking for the best answer out of the 4 that are given. You will not have any True/False or trick questions. You have about 50 seconds to answer each question, if you don't know the answer then come back and do not simply guess at it.

You need to know the ins and outs of an electrical panel and system in a home. Everything from wire/breaker size to problematic panels.

You should be familiar with Pools/Spas, Appliances, and law irrigation systems as well. They were added to the NHIE back in 2008. Many schools skip over these because they are not in the associations SOP's. But as an inspector you will see them in the field.

You also need to know how to write reports and also how to conduct yourself as a professional.

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

I probably shouldn't tell you this, but since it sounds like you have already done the majority of your studying, and are just experiencing pretest stress:

For someone who has actually studied and understands the material provided in most training programs, I can predict pretty accurately how the exam experience is going to go.

First five questions: "Well, at least I seem to have some idea what's going on."

First ten questions: "Well, at least they seem to be asking me things I know."

First twenty questions: "Hey, this is actually pretty easy, so far anyway."

First fifty questions: "Hey, how come I'm going through these so fast with only one or two questions I'm sure about? it can't be this easy."

Now, if you decide to get some code certs - then you will have some serious exams on your plate.

Michael Thomas
    Paragon Property Services Inc., Chicago IL
    http://paragoninspects.com

David McGuire Guest

Pretest stress, me? Now what would tend you to think I have that? Yea, I have it alright.

Hey Scott, our coverage with pools/spa's and irrigation systems lasted all of about 20 seconds. We were told we do not have to inspect them and that was that. Unless it was a permamnent fixture in the bathroom. And looking at my copy of the ASHI SOP/Code of Ethics I see that it is the 10-15-2006 version.

The electrical part is my weakest area. Always been intimidated by electricity in my life. But over the last few months I have become more comfortable with what I know and don't know. Learning structure, exterirors and roofing is easy. You can drive down any street and just park your car and study all the houses with-in sight and pick up 90% of what ya need to know. With an electrical panel, you have to be right in there to learn it. You can't learn very much with a book and pictures.

Ted Menelly Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Patterson View Post
    David, the test will not be difficult if you know the material. Most have problems with Electrical, Structural, and HVAC. Keep in mind the exam is looking for the best answer out of the 4 that are given. You will not have any True/False or trick questions. You have about 50 seconds to answer each question, if you don't know the answer then come back and do not simply guess at it.

You need to know the ins and outs of an electrical panel and system in a home. Everything from wire/breaker size to problematic panels.

You should be familiar with Pools/Spas, Appliances, and law irrigation systems as well. They were added to the NHIE back in 2008. Many schools skip over these because they are not in the associations SOP's. But as an inspector you will see them in the field.

You also need to know how to write reports and also how to conduct yourself as a professional.

Yeah think. If he knows the material about anything the test on it will not be difficult.

Yes, the law needs plenty of irrigation.

Just messing with you Scott

Pretest stress, me? Now what would tend you to think I have that? Yea, I have it alright.

Hey Scott, our coverage with pools/spa's and irrigation systems lasted all of about 20 seconds. We were told we do not have to inspect them and that was that. Unless it was a permamnent fixture in the bathroom. And looking at my copy of the ASHI SOP/Code of Ethics I see that it is the 10-15-2006 version.

The electrical part is my weakest area. Always been intimidated by electricity in my life. But over the last few months I have become more comfortable with what I know and don't know. Learning structure, exterirors and roofing is easy. You can drive down any street and just park your car and study all the houses with-in sight and pick up 90% of what ya need to know. With an electrical panel, you have to be right in there to learn it. You can't learn very much with a book and pictures.
    That is what I was saying about the standards. The NHIE does not use any association or state standard in designing the exam. The NHIE is based on what is called a Role Delineation Study (RDS), this is a study of the profession and what is the best practice or what is being done in the field. Association SOP's are like a building code, they are the minimal standard.

Go to this website National Home Inspector Examination - EBPHI - Preparing for the Exam and take a look at the Exam Blueprint. This essentially tells you what you need to study.

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

David McGuire Guest

Scott I want to thank you for the link. I had been all over their page but some how missed that. If ya ever come to this part of Kansas call ahead, I fix ya up a smoked pork butt and you can have a heck of a pile of pulled pork. This link is fantastic.

Scott I want to thank you for the link. I had been all over their page but some how missed that. If ya ever come to this part of Kansas call ahead, I fix ya up a smoked pork butt and you can have a heck of a pile of pulled pork. This link is fantastic.
    You need to fuss and yell at whoever was your instructor! They should have provided this information. Simply no excuse for anyone that purports themselves to be an home inspector instructor to not have this information and provide it to their students.

Glad to have been able to help... I like pork!

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Took the NHIE exam this morning and PASSED!

It is not required for state licensing but its been on the ToDo list a few years. Finally decided I shouldn't wait any longer. A few of the questions were head scratchers but overall I found it relatively easy and straightforward.

Missed 10 out of 200 with a score of 731 in 90 minutes. Whopee!

"The Code is not a peak to reach but a foundation to build from."

Congrats Bruce
    Come on down and I'll take you to lunch.

' correct a wise man and you gain a friend... correct a fool and he'll bloody your nose'.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Ramsey View Post
    Took the NHIE exam this morning and PASSED!

It is not required for state licensing but its been on the ToDo list a few years. Finally decided I shouldn't wait any longer. A few of the questions were head scratchers but overall I found it relatively easy and straightforward.

Missed 10 out of 200 with a score of 731 in 90 minutes. Whopee!
    That is a great score.... 800 is as high as you can get.... I think the average score is around 600-650.

Experienced inspectors should not have much trouble passing the NHIE.

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

That is a great score.... 800 is as high as you can get.... I think the average score is around 600-650.

Experienced inspectors should not have much trouble passing the NHIE.

From what I have seen, the people teaching the HI instruction have not taken the test and do not know or really understand what is in it. They rely on presenting what they are told to present to meet some min course requirements. How someone can teach a course in HI and not have recently taken the NHIE and then prepare their students for what to expect are worthless. Many states now require the NHIE for lic. If you know the material involved in HI passing the exam is not hard. Being prepared for how the test is presented is another story. Preparing the students would not be hard, but it would take time and effort to prepare the presentation correctly. To many teaching teach to a minimum material presentation standard.

Quote Originally Posted by Garry Sorrells View Post
    From what I have seen, the people teaching the HI instruction have not taken the test and do not know or really understand what is in it. They rely on presenting what they are told to present to meet some min course requirements. How someone can teach a course in HI and not have recently taken the NHIE and then prepare their students for what to expect are worthless. Many states now require the NHIE for lic. If you know the material involved in HI passing the exam is not hard. Being prepared for how the test is presented is another story. Preparing the students would not be hard, but it would take time and effort to prepare the presentation correctly. To many teaching teach to a minimum material presentation standard.
    BINGO!

I no longer serve on the EBPHI board, but I can tell first hand that a large percentage of the instructors and schools across the country are teaching out of date and old concepts when it comes to home inspections. EBPHI makes available the exam blueprint and much more to the various schools and it is amazing how few request the material. It amounts to the blind leading the blind when it comes to teaching.

A while back I had a owner of a home inspection school complaining that his students were not passing the NHIE. I asked him if he had requested the exam blueprint, he had not. I asked him if he had ever taken the NHIE, he had not. I then asked him when he last updated his material, he said that he was using Carson Dunlap material from 2004. Needless to say, I have a feeling that this is fairly common!

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Nolan Kienitz Guest

Having to take the NHIE to be somewhat knowledgeable about the exam in Texas won't be a problem.

The TREC just lowers the required passing score to pass the exam!!! This was done in the past few months at the huge lobby effort of the "inspector schools" that were about to lose their accreditation to teach as the required percentage of their graduates were NOT passing the test on the "first try".

BTW - it is quite likely that the NHIE will replace the current Texas licensing exam (with a Texas module) in the near future.

If anything the NHIE should be increased to 400 or 500 questions and the passing percentage should be increased not decreased. I would say that min pass at 90% would be reasonable, provided the difficulty of the questions was not altered. Icould write a test that any idiot could pass with a 98% . I think that the entire problem stems from the industry wide insistence that a HI is a generalist and that the level of competency is that which will fulfill the most minimum adherence to a Stand of Practiced proclaimed by organizations. Additionally, many states have patterned their SOP after these organizations because the people who wrote the states SOP are those who are members of one organization or another. I went around in circles trying to force a local college that was teaching a course to meet the states licensing requirements for HI. The school was not preparing the students and I was attempting to have them so a better job. The school relied on a position that they were meeting the minimum requirements of the level of preparation which had been agreed on when they received accreditation from the state to teach the course. I only prevailed after after I asserted that the school's course description as printed in their catalog was in fact a contractual offer and acceptance situation. The wording offered me the leverage to force (and I do mean FORCE) the school to provide a higher level of performance. If only for a brief period. The point being that the instructors, head of the division that was responsible for the course, assistant Dean and Dean of that segment of the college all said that they were meeting (in their view) the minimum requirements as set forth in their course offering.

The real issue is the SOP which many hold up as the minimum and maximum point to which they required to aspire. The position that the current SOP is all that is legally required (if in fact there is a state lic. or control) and that is all which is required. Then having the (cop-out) fall back of the crutch that the HI is a generalist and further investigation is need by a professional in that area. I do not mean to say that the HI has to be all knowing (which is impossible) but the ability to obtain a license with absolutely no actual hands on (competent) experience in building and construction industry is the rub. The HI industry is one that lends itself to printed check box forms and cover your ass (CYA) inspection agreements. Then there is direct or indirect collusion with the Realtors. The process becomes corrupted. Now with so many people now rely on a HI (right or wrong) during a purchase process and so many have received so little from their HI.

Sorry for a rant. The bur under the saddle works it way through at times. It is that I went on a quest a while back. Trying to make a difference and found so much complaisance through the industry. Frustration in trying to alter fixed positions of people that would not admit that there was a problem and action was needed. Reciently I did see that the course description was altered so that it better reflects the level of what is presented. Therefore, I am sure the students still do not understand that they are receiving only the minimum required by the state. The students think that they will be prepared, which they will not. Even if they are licensed they will not be really competent and the public will suffer. Even 100, 500, 1000, 10000 inspections does not mean that they were good just that they were done. Maybe to a SOP of some kind maybe not. Placating to the Realtor for their referrals, possibly. Really looking but not seeing. Really seeing but not knowing. There are a lot of snake oil sales taking place.

Then having the (cop-out) fall back of the crutch that the HI is a generalist and further investigation is need by a professional in that area. I do not mean to say that the HI has to be all knowing (which is impossible) but the ability to obtain a license with absolutely no actual hands on (competent) experience in building and construction industry is the rub.
    I am all for more required education and/or a more defined sequence of training to move from a complete novice and up through several levels. The problem as I see it right now, there are no intermediate levels between reading The Big Book of Homebuilding and licensed Tradesman. No entity has defined that by knowing X, Y and Z, the student qualifies for in essence an associate degree or journeyman's knowledge base in plumbing, electrical, roofing, insulation, etc.

The unusual thing about home inspectors is we don't fix or do, we just point out that it is wrong or unsafe. The ICC Residential Inspector certs would be a good way to ensure that HIs are familiar with the appropriate code references but does not teach to look in the crawlspace under exterior doors for water intrusion or to tip the stove to check for the anti-tip bracket.

There are at least several sets of knowledge base necessary. 1) Building, Plumbing, Electrical, and Mechanical code knowledge. Current and a matrix of when common "safety" items were implemented over the years. 2) A set of common areas to check for frequent problems (under thresholds, anti-tip bracket, etc. 3) Building Science. Understanding air flow through homes helps to explain the dark stains along the edges of wall to wall carpet, chimney effect of stairways, etc. 4) Ability to write clearly and concisely, 5) Marketing and Business management 6) Product identification and ramifications. Be able to differentiate between blown cellulose and Vermiculite. Aluminum wiring vs Tinned copper, etc.

Working in the trades for 10 years doing new construction is not going to adequately prepare you for inspecting homes. Remodeling is probably a better learning ground so you can see what bad flashing and leaky pipes do to a house.

Code certifications, engineering degrees, and college building course teach how things are supposed to be built, not what happens to a house when it is done incorrectly. There are no courses out there that teach what home inspectors need to know, Building Forensics.

The problem is how many people would pay for and take a 2 yr course in Building Forensics. The NC licensing board executive director reported that 180 people attempted to sign up for the HI state exam last year. Half failed the test. Half will fail on the second attempt. Less than 200 people per year in the entire state attempted to become home inspectors. The community college system said not worth the effort to offer a course of study.

Almost 400 NC home inspectors did not renew their license or put it in inactive status last renewal deadline. That only leaves 1000 licensed inspectors statewide. I would imagine other states have similar numbers. 35,000 to 50,000 inspectors nationwide. Not enough nationwide to support the funding and development of a 2 yr college level program even if all existing inspectors had to go through the course.

If ASHI, NAHI, InterNACHI, CREIA, and all the other associations could agree on a program of study and fund developlment, it might happen. Maybe you could be the spark that changes everything.

If ASHI, NAHI, InterNACHI, CREIA, and all the other associations could agree on a program of study and fund developlment, it might happen. Maybe you could be the spark that changes everything.
    The key is funding! With all of the membership organizations suffering the same loss of members as we are seeing in all of the licensed states, they are doing good to just keeping their numbers in the black.

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

The key is funding! With all of the membership organizations suffering the same loss of members as we are seeing in all of the licensed states, they are doing good to just keeping their numbers in the black.

I would love to see the books on the organizations to see how the dues/fees are spent.

As things continue to shake out in the real estate market and the economy in general, it will also be interesting how much more heated the name calling and the casting of dispursinons on the competing organizations will become. As organizations strive to maintain their membership and attempt at attracting new members.

Bruce,
    I wish I had the ultimate answer to the education and experience void that would make it all right. I also wish I could be able to vave a wand that would give people ethics and morals that so many seem to be lacking. I always get a chuckle when I hear about colleges and companys offering courses and classes in ethics.

I have wondered as to feasibility to create a good, in-depth online training system that could be offered at a low cost if not free. Of what I have seen the organizations video offerings seem a bit lacking. Maybe it's the teacher in me that says the presentation needs improvement.

In 2007 I served on the NHIE exam review committee with Chris Ueland and Jack Feldman. (I think Scott Patterson was chair at that time?) I have also served on the ICC Residential Exam Review Committee, and currently a member of the ICC Residential Plans Examiner Exam Committee. I also serve on the California Real Estate Inspection Association entry level exam that all candidates have to take and pass to become a CREIA Certified inspector (CCI) and the Master CREIA exam committees (MCI), which all CREIA CCI’s have to take and pass to become a Master CREIA Inspector (MCI). These posts have supplied me with a fairly good opportunity for comparing them in difficulty. IMHO and not written in stone; the toughest is the CREIA candidate entry exam, followed closely by the NHIE, and then the ICC Combination Residential Dwelling Inspector exams about even with the CREIA Master Inspector exam.

The ICC exams go something like this in difficulty from easiest to toughest; Structural, Plumbing, HVAC, and Electrical. It is no secret that your average home inspector has the most difficulty with the electric codes probably due to the fact that so many of its sections are followed by exceptions. Again, these are only my opinions and others may well have had other experiences and therefore drawn other conclusions. I also believe that to be a competent property inspector one needs to build a building code library and take as many decent building inspection seminars as they can afford.

It has been my experience that far too many inspector schools teach how to take and pass these exams of which the ICC being the most popular. Therefore, I have never placed too much confidence of inspectors sporting a bunch of certifications, but if you really want to know just how knowledgeable an inspector is then I recommend you inspect a property they have recently inspected and then review their written report. I’m also one of two CREIA inspection report reviewers and have extensive experience performing EW in home inspector litigation. (That’s another story for another time) Also, when are we going to drop the term “home inspection” and use “real estate inspection” instead?

Oh, and BTW, are there any home inspectors out there that actually believe they’re not performing a code complying inspection when they conduct a home inspection for their client?

Jerry McCarthy
    Building Code/ Construction Consultant

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry McCarthy View Post
    Also, when are we going to drop the term “home inspection” and use “real estate inspection” instead?
    West Coast Jerry,

I do not think we should ever change from "home inspection" to "real estate inspection" as that is not the only type of inspections "home inspectors" perform.

"Real estate inspections" may be the largest slice of the pie, but they do not encompass the entire pie.

As such, I have always promoted the idea of changing "home inspector/inspection" to "private building inspector/inspection" as that more accurately represents what "private building inspectors" do - they inspect "buildings", which includes "homes", and they inspect buildings for reasons other than "real estate" transactions.

I've been saying the above for over 20 years, and I will continue to say it until it comes to be ... or until I can no longer say anything ...

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

EC Jerry - "home inspector/inspection" to "private building inspector/inspection." OK, I'll buy that.
    Another thought; how much of the curtilage should the inspector inspect in a normal private building inspection?

Jerry McCarthy

We have used "building inspection" interchangeably with "home inspection" here in my area, but "The Building Inspector" refers to the official from the municipality, (who has the power to shut you down and make life miserable, etc).
    That may be why "home" is preferred by most people.
    "Real Estate Inspector" is too much like "Real Estate Agent", and we need to maintain separation from that group.

What is wrong with "Home Inspector"?

John Kogel, RHI, BC HI Lic #47455
    www.allsafehome.ca

Quote Originally Posted by John Kogel View Post
    We have used "building inspection" interchangeably with "home inspection" here in my area, but "The Building Inspector" refers to the official from the municipality,
    I agree that "building inspector" implies the municipal inspector, thus the reason I use "private" in "private building inspection" - to signify that this is not a municipal code inspection.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

You can't get certified by InterNACHI by passing an exam.

It is unconscionable that there are societies out there that award their highest "certified" membership status for passing one exam, once. InterNACHI doesn't use a single exam, and certainly doesn't rely on the NHIE, a beginner's exam used by many states to license newbies fresh out of school.

InterNACHI's many requirements are in addition, and above and beyond, the beginner's exam your state may make you take to enter the profession.

It's bad enough that they use the same exam as states use to license new inspectors, but even worse, these certification mills don't even require that you actually retake it again. If you took it to get licensed as a newbie, that's enough for them. Shazam! LOL

InterNACHI certification is based on a very robust educational ramp up which includes hundreds of quizzes and dozens of state-approved courses, each with their own final exam, and again, this is all on top of whatever beginner's exam your state requires.

Last edited by Lisa Endza; 03-06-2011 at 11:50 PM.
    Lisa Endza
    Director of Communication
    InterNACHI

Quote Originally Posted by Lisa Endza View Post
    You can't get certified by InterNACHI by passing an exam.

It is unconscionable that there are societies out there that award their highest "certified" membership status for passing one exam, once. InterNACHI doesn't use a single exam, and certainly doesn't rely on the NHIE, a beginner's exam used by many states to license newbies fresh out of school.

InterNACHI's many requirements are in addition, and above and beyond, the beginner's exam your state may make you take to enter the profession.

It's bad enough that they use the same exam as states use to license new inspectors, but even worse, these certification mills don't even require that you actually retake it again. If you took it to get licensed as a newbie, that's enough for them. Shazam! LOL

InterNACHI certification is based on a very robust educational ramp up which includes hundreds of quizzes and dozens of state-approved courses, each with their own final exam, and again, this is all on top of whatever beginner's exam your state requires.
    Lisa, you are a work of art.... You twist and tweak your post to baffle and trick the poor fools that are considering entering this profession. While your employer might have some good membership benifits it's negative reputation seems to outweigh them 10 to 1. The paid staff and owner of your organization are the only workers of a professional organization that I have ever seen post negative and misleading information about other professional organizations in the same profession. The first rule in business is that you never talk bad about your compatition.

Those of us that have been around for a few years know that your organization post and boast of its requirements but it does not enforce them. They might be on paper but that is it. I personally know 4 inspectors who have a membership in your organization as well as a few others; they all have said that they took the simple online exam, paid the fee and that is it. They have never done anything else to maintain their membership. They just send in the yearly check and life goes on.

That's all I'm going to post, if you want to post more that is up to you. Life is too short to walk around with a chip on your shoulder and worrying about how others tie their shoes.

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Randy King Guest

Wink Re: National exam

Scott is exactly right, words a twistin!. This will probably bring about the stupid org. vs. org. dialogue which I feel like never goes anywhere, but I like Scott know a number of people that are members of inachi and have personally been both a member of inachi and currently ashi. The entrance requirements for ashi are constantly misconstrued by other org. members and I can't stand when people aren't dealing with FACTS!

From personal experience, I thought inachi's entrance exam was quite easy. I agree with Scott, I think it is stupid to bash each other because it does nothing for each other or our industry. I see benefits from each org. in the industry and everyone has their personal opinion on what they prefer, but can't it be left at that? The only other thing I will say is that certain inachi member's and promoters need to get their facts right on ashi's requirements. This claim of anyone can join ashi, even a pet is just plain stupid! When I joined almost 2 years ago, I had to send in a driver's license and verify my background and it took almost 2 1/2 weeks to receive my initial membership paperwork and a listing online. Now, I would love to see an entrance exam just to be a member to show a baseline of education or maybe even just verification sent of a x number of hours of education even to be an associate but that's just my opinion. All I know is after being a member of both organizations, I have my thoughts about both and wish ashi would get ahead of the times with some areas but they are very, very good with others. Anyone interested in membership should look ahead to what's available to them, get all of the facts and benefits and choose for themselves.

These are the current basic requirements for CREIA Candidates to upgrade to CCI membership:

Then upgrading your Candidate Member status to a CERTIFIED CREIA INSPECTOR (CCI) Member involves the following six (6) requirements:
    1. You must secure/document thirty (30) Continuing Education Credit (CEC) hours relating to real estate inspection. One Continuing Education Credit (CEC) is awarded for each hour of attendance at a pre-approved inspector education program. A CREIA approved educational supplier must provide a certificate of attendance that is to be submitted by the inspector to CREIA Headquarters for recording. Attendance records at CREIA sponsored events — such as chapter meetings, toolboxes and CREIA conferences — are supplied directly by the hosting chapter(s); however, in order to ensure accurate recording of an inspector's attendance at such events, it is in the best interest of the inspector to maintain their separate documentation of attendance. Approved CECs are added to the inspector's file.
    2. Attend two (2) of your local CREIA Chapter meetings.
    3. Pass the California Home Inspector Exam (includes questions on CREIA Code of Ethics).
    4. Participate in the CREIA Mentoring Program with a RideAlong with an approved CREIA mentor and ONE of the following:
    5. Have a copy of one of your current Inspection Reports reviewed by an approved CREIA mentor
    6. Take part in a parallel inspection with an approved CREIA mentor

Once you have successfully passed the above requirements you will be entitled to use the CERTIFIED CREIA INSPECTOR (CCI) designation and logo on your business and marketing materials. We strongly urge you to seek this CERTFIED CREIA INSPECTOR (CCI) Member status so that we can recognize and refer you to Realtors® and consumers seeking a CERTIFIED CREIA INSPECTOR (CCI) Member.
    Established over 30 YEARS ago in California, CREIA is a hands-on, member-run organization committed to promoting the real estate and home inspection industry, providing educational programming, and maintaining ethical standards for inspections which keep our members at the top of their field. You are invited to attend and participate in local chapter and state wide CREIA events, seminars and conferences.

Jerry McCarthy

When I was inspecting I belonged to every Assc. I could, I learned everything I could this helps eliminate future problems, you can;t learn it all but can cut down on things you don't. This cuts down your liabilty. All assc are good? My opinion!!!!

I am not qualified determine if the NHIE is a good exam or not. From what I understand it is a very good basic exam.

I was merely pointing out the fact that many states use this beginner's exam to license newbies fresh out of school. Even the EBPHI admits it is a MINIMUM-competency exam.

You can't have it both ways.

If the NHIE is a good, minimum-competency exam for licensing newbies, it then shouldn't be used by any association as the basis for awarding their highest membership status.

Lisa Endza
    InterNACHI

I am not qualified determine if the NHIE is a good exam or not. From what I understand it is a very good basic exam.

I was merely pointing out the fact that many states use this beginner's exam to license newbies fresh out of school. Even the EBPHI admits it is a MINIMUM-competency exam.

You can't have it both ways.

If the NHIE is a good, minimum-competency exam for licensing newbies, it then shouldn't be used by any association as the basis for awarding their highest membership status.
    Well then Lisa, what should be used? Perhaps a non-proctored exam that can be taken in the comfort of your home as many times as a person wants?

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Randy King Guest

Thanks Scott, was going to make that point myself but figured I would stay away from it. Personally, I don't think the NHIE is necessarily a basic exam but it does indeed show a level of competence. If you "can't have it both ways"? how exactly can one scream about that ASHI's entrance requirements aren't good enough or "shouldn't be used by any association as the basis for awarding their highest membership status" if you are only going to scruitinize the requirement without yourself having a more proficient or effective method?

With that being said, the NHIE isn't the only requirement, you also have to meet other requirements, so to make that statement is a pure generalization. Like I said in my previous post, get your FACTS straight! It's like dealing with disillusioned politicians that prefer to only see things their way. Gotta chuckle a bit I guess.

All of the questions contained in the exams used by NHIE and CREIA are supervised by professionally certified psychometric experts. This is vital in building an examination for a profession or industry. The questions are all weighted as to would an entry level home inspector candidate know the answer to the question posed. There are 4 answers to choose from for every question. One is correct the other three distracters ranging from close to correct to absurd. These exams are closed book as opposed to ICC exams which are open book. The entry exams are only one part of the hoops inspector candidates have to jump through before they are awarded membership in either ASHI or CREIA. BTW, the CREIA exams CCI & MCI are 150 questions each with a 2 hour time limit and given by the folks at ICC.

Jerry McCarthy

Those of us that have been around for a few years know that your organization post and boast of its requirements but it does not enforce them. They might be on paper but that is it. I personally know 4 inspectors who have a membership in your organization as well as a few others; they all have said that they took the simple online exam, paid the fee and that is it. They have never done anything else to maintain their membership. They just send in the yearly check and life goes on.
    Worth repeating. There are many reputable and professional inspectors in both of those orgs, but lack of enforcement allows for a lot of shiftiness on the iNACHI side. The honor system only works on the honorable inspectors.

www.allsafehome.ca

With that being said, the NHIE isn't the only requirement, you also have to meet other requirements, so to make that statement is a pure generalization. Like I said in my previous post, get your FACTS straight! It's like dealing with disillusioned politicians that prefer to only see things their way. Gotta chuckle a bit I guess.
    This is news to me. Can you tell us what those other requirements are?

Lisa Endza
    InterNACHI

This is news to me. Can you tell us what those other requirements are?
    Any one can go to American Society of Home Inspectors, ASHI and see what they are. You know darn well what they are. Besides that it really doesn't matter what they are, it would be the requirements 97% of your members, that are not ASHI members can not meet.

Phoenix AZ Resale Home, Mobile Home, New Home Warranty Inspections. ASHI Certified Inspector #206929 Arizona Certified Inspector # 38440
    www.inspectaz.com

Dan says
    Any one can go to American Society of Home Inspectors, ASHI and see what they are.
    I found them. Looks like there are three.

Let's see, pass an ethics quiz. Unethical inspectors give the right ethical answers on those, so that requirement is meaningless.

Submit some reports to see if they comply with SOP. Well, nowadays, all reporting forms and software produce SOP-compliant reports. That doesn't mean the inspection was done properly, so that requirement is meaningless too.

Oh yes, pass the very same beginner's exam used by many states to license newbies fresh out of school.

LOL! I don't agree with much of what my boss says, but I'm starting to see what he is talking about.

Last edited by Lisa Endza; 03-08-2011 at 05:14 PM.
    Lisa Endza
    InterNACHI

In the real world the end result is not what we think, it's what will the public think of you, and what association , and or other inspectors that you associate yourself with.
    After reading all the crap and bashing of other inspectors from one association on this topic, my suggestion would be find two or three non inspectors in your family or local realtors, and send them to International Association of Certified Home Inspectors (InterNACHI) and American Society of Home Inspectors, ASHI then ask them what association would they hire an inspector from.

Last edited by Dan Harris; 03-08-2011 at 06:38 PM.
    www.inspectaz.com

I don't agree with much of what my boss says, but I'm starting to see what he is taking about.
    funny!

www.allsafehome.ca

Randy King Guest

Lisa, the fact that you are within the realm of this argument considering you aren't even an inspector and quite obviously had to check to see what the other requirements just proves that you shouldn't even be involved in this argument or have an opinion.

You betlittle ASHI's requirements yet in my opinion they are far more involved than are inachi's and you propose nothing new or better, it's the same argument and point made by inachi over and over. If I understand this correctly, you are bashing ASHI's proctored test, the fact you have to prove the you performed 250 inspections, and you must pass a proctored ethical and standards test? Hmm...what does inachi do? Please, propose something better. If you really want to make an opinion about something get familiar with it, informed and have one that isn't your boss's.

I have taken and passed the ASHI as well as NAHI (National Association of Home Inspectors) I also took and passed the INTERNACHI exam ( it used to be NACHI but was sued over and over again on name infringement and lost each time ). I found the NAHI test to be the most difficult and the INTERNACHI the easiest . The NAHI test has also has had national certification for years (ASHI is not the only one)
    Having passed the tests I further submited reports and became a CRI at NAHI. I also belong to the Minnesota Society of Housing Inspectors.
    In short any test or credentials are good marketing tools and all have limitations . Pursue all but realize they are only tools.

The sharing of ideas and contact with other inspectors in your organizations will do much more to build your knowledge and or competence. Market your associations as well as credentails.

Since you brought it up, this is something I know about. I hate to be the one to burst your bubble, but InterNACHI was incorporated two years before your little association sued. Look it up, it is public information online. Nick duped your association into spending all your money to get him to do something he was already doing. Look at the date of this contest on the old message board. While our in-house legal team got you to spend all your money on attorney fees, InterNACHI was already built and waiting to launch. Ever wonder why your association has no membership benefits but your attorney has a Mercedes Benz? Now you know. Worse for you, you settled with Nick for no money! How did that work out for your group? LOL! Does your mini association even have any members left? He played you like a violin.

Last edited by Lisa Endza; 03-09-2011 at 10:57 PM.
    Lisa Endza
    InterNACHI

Shame Linda

You apparantly have no response to my post other than to try to badmouth and cover the fact that my post was correct. I was working on MN State Licsensing during the legal troubles internachi had with NAHI. I am well aware of the issues and followed the court proceedings with interest.
    I have all the public court records as well as the public decisions including follow up of Nick's failure to obey the court's ruling . They do not paint internachi in a positive manner . If you want a pissing match so be it . They can all be posted as they are public record.

NAHI at least has shown credibility and integrity unlike you . They were willing to spend money to correct plagurization . They won and the industry is better because of it. It is called " ethics " to stand for what is fair and honest.

The intent of the forum and my post was to let my peers ( professional inspectors not a marketing hack ) realize that all tests and creditials can help in advertising ,but by themselves they do not make a good inspector.
    How about you let professional inspectors comment and sit on the sidelines ? sshhhh !

Your reply to my post ending " lol " shows lack of intrelligence as it is no laughing matter.

opps sorry Lisa

you are so well known I called you Linda LOL

Again, this is something I know everything about because I was there. Our in-house attorneys intentionally kept you in court for so long to keep you spending. Even the judge figured out what the Cohens were doing and got mad at us. You sued for millions, but in the end, flat broke, you settled with Nick for no money! You ended up with nothing but legal bills. All you did was spend your members' dues to make Nick do something he had already done years earlier. Look it up. Now compare your group to InterNACHI. You barely have any members left and no membership benefits. In contrast, InterNACHI grew into a global conglomerate with operations all over the world. You got played. Now you're irrelevant. Take it like a man.

Last edited by Lisa Endza; 03-09-2011 at 11:32 PM.
    Lisa Endza
    InterNACHI

You got played. Now you're irrelevant. Take it like a man.
    The peon's don't fall far from the tree hey?
    Sounds like Nicky talking there.

Two days ago I stated I was beginning to like you Lisa; I take all that back.
    The Kool-aid was spiked extra strong prior to that last post.

It's my opinion, exams and licensing requirements are too soft too easy. NACHI was leading the way to lower the standards and requirements to become a home inspector.
    Now that the market is flooded with what I consider to be less than qualified inspectors, it the consumer who suffers.
    Marketing, making someone 'look' better than they really are is, unfortunately is the way of the world.

Certified move-in
    Certified master inspector

The people who think this s--t up are what I consider to be 'certifyable'.

NACHI wins the award hands down for the title 'The Fleecing of America'

Darren www.aboutthehouseinspections.com
    'Whizzing & pasting & pooting through the day (Ronnie helping Kenny helping burn his poots away!) (FZ)

We are open to consider constructive criticism and always looking for ways to improve the profession. You complain about "less than qualified inspectors." Here is a list of InterNACHI's approved inspector training. Would you please post your group's list here?

Lisa Endza
    InterNACHI

Lisa, Lisa

Once again tooting your own horn and ignoring what the post was about. This is typical with you it seems.

It appears you feed off others comments and are paid to monitor the site.
    I think I will ignore you and just read and listen to inspectors as you are a waste of time.

We are open to consider constructive criticism and always looking for ways to improve the profession. You complain about "less than qualified inspectors." Would you please post your group's list here?
    Sure-

http://nj.gov/dca/divisions/codes/fo...1_brochure.pdf

And uh, don't even go to where you're thinking of going.

Last edited by Darren Miller; 03-10-2011 at 04:54 PM.
    'Whizzing & pasting & pooting through the day (Ronnie helping Kenny helping burn his poots away!) (FZ)

Randy King Guest

Lisa, you are a pathetic example of your organization. All you do by making your worthless and biased statements is show people to what level you are continually willing to stoop to. You're a great representation of your org. and why so many people prefer to steer the direction of more professional avenues regardless of what you offer in regards to members' benefits.

The people that have posted here like Mike and I have formulated opinions based upon experience, actually being an inspector, which I am sure you no little about and trial. This isn't because we think inachi is better or isn't, acutally I plain don't really care other than the fact that you tout so much yet fall so very short of the actually reality at hand.

Like I said before, what do you truly know about the situation other than what has been fed to you through your position at inachi? Do you even know what the rest of the HI industry associations are really like? Have you ever been a member or had the opportunity to take all of the tests available as an inspector? Then how do you really know a damn thing? Let's face it, YOU DON'T!

Furthermore, why in the world would you be proud of the fact that you "intentionally" as you say keep another organization in court? That is plain classless and un-professional. Can someone say, LOSER or how about a lack of integrity. Oh, wait working at inachi you probably have no idea what integrity is.

By the way, if you are going to claim to be open to constructive criticism, acutally be open to it, don't pretend to be. Also, the link which you posted may be "InterNachi's approved inspector training" but by no means are the requirements to become "InterNachi Certified", but nice try of trying to create an image of such. You mine as well go back to your board where more of the people will actually believe your bull$#@!.

You got played, take it like a man!

Well said Randy !!!!

Now compare your group to InterNACHI. You barely have any members left and no membership benefits. In contrast, InterNACHI grew into a global conglomerate with operations all over the world. You got played. Now you're irrelevant. Take it like a man.
    Take it like a man??? What the heck are you talking about. The truth is a little HI org stood up and defended their their legal rights and cleaned your clock.

Ever since it's been proven in the courts that YOUR irrelevent, you resort to name calling lying and bashing the ones that kicked your butt, like a baby girl in hopes of getting back, since you were exposed for what you are.

Membership benefits, who are you to decide what association an inspector should join, and what benefits they want or should have.
    All one has to do is go to your BB and see where nicko claimed your members use less that 10% of the crap you have anyways.

You may be impressing a few newbys, all I see with your crap about being the biggest is. The one that brags about having the biggest is the one thats the most insecure and has the smallest.

www.inspectaz.com

Ok, Ok, Ok. Everyone take a breath and take 2 steps back.

This has degenerated into another pissing match that my association is better than yours. In the words of Rodney, Can't we all just get along?

Each association has its merits. We all have our personal favorites. This has been hashed out way too many times before. Each is setup differently with different goals. Home inspectors want different results from their association and so choose the one that best helps them meet those goals. Therefore join the one that meets your goals and don't worry about the other associations.

If you must post about your favorite association, sell me on the good points. If the only way you can convince me your association is good is by telling me how bad the other is, then your association has nothing to offer. Telling me how bad the others are does not make yours better.

But mostly just stop the incessent bickering you whinny little brats.

If the only way you can convince me your association is good is by telling me how bad the other is, then your association has nothing to offer. Telling me how bad the others are does not make yours better.
    Hey Bruce

I am an independent inspector; currently I do not belong to any association.

I compare Lisa's spewing to that of Donald Trump (whom I despise). Everything he does is always 'the biggest', 'the most expensive', 'the best in the world' etc. It's like when he talks, he's trying to convince himself let alone the people listening (I know, I know, if you believe it, it's not a lie right?)

Anyway, I witnessed first hand how NACHI lowered the standards for home inspections. This happened wayyyyy back in the early 2000's.

NJ had set the requirements to become a licensed HI which include 300 hours of classroom work. Some guy cried the blues, saying it was too hard for him to achieve. He went looking for help and there was NACHI who took up his cause.
    Anyway, a fight ensued, the lobbyists got rich and the standards got lowered to only 180 hours of classroom.
    I'm a big advocate for making the standards tougher; to make our profession something other professionals respect; not what it is today.

How many times have you heard another professional talk down about us or actually laugh because, as he asks his client "was your inspector blind?'

In the trades, a 'master carpenter' is someone who is top notch; he's earned the title. What are the requirements to become a 'certified master inspector'? I been doing this for 15 years with well over 7,000 inspections; should one be considered a 'master' just because of the number of inspections or because they really are GREAT at what they do?

Bruce, what would it take YOU to certify a house is in move-in condition?
    Oh, wait, NACHI doesn't certify the house, the owner does? Come on, just another 'scam' that an oblivious public gets fleeced on.

I'm not promoting any association, I just shining the light on questionable practices of a certain one.

what would it take YOU to certify a house is in move-in condition?
    What do you think you've done on a traditional buyer's inspection when you don't find any major defects?

The only difference is that on a traditional buyer's inspection, you are working for a client who is moving IN to the home you inspected. For liability reasons, wouldn't you rather work for a client who is moving OUT of the home you inspected?

The Move In Certified program makes sense for inspectors.

Lisa Endza
    InterNACHI

What do you think you've done on a traditional buyer's inspection when you don't find any major defects?

The only difference is that on a traditional buyer's inspection, you are working for a client who is moving IN to the home you inspected. For liability reasons, wouldn't you rather work for a client who is moving OUT of the home you inspected?

Lisa, this comment just shows that you do not have a clue about the profession and conducting a home inspection.

First, we do not certify anything. We report what we find, tell our client what will happen if it is not repaired and then give them direction as to who needs to make the repair. I should say that this is how it should go..

Second, the inspectors liability is the same. If you screw-up for either a buyer or seller you will be held accountable. It makes no difference if it is for a seller or a buyer.

Third, when I have done an inspection for a buyer and the home has already had an inspection by the seller. I always find additional items that were not in the report.

Pre-listing inspections are not the answer, they tend to provide the owner with a false sense of security. I provide them buy I do not market them...

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Ted Menelly Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Darren Miller View Post
    Hey Bruce

I am an independent inspector; currently I do not belong to any association.

I compare Lisa's spewing to that of Donald Trump (whom I despise). Everything he does is always 'the biggest', 'the most expensive', 'the best in the world' etc. It's like when he talks, he's trying to convince himself let alone the people listening (I know, I know, if you believe it, it's not a lie right?)

Anyway, I witnessed first hand how NACHI lowered the standards for home inspections. This happened wayyyyy back in the early 2000's.

NJ had set the requirements to become a licensed HI which include 300 hours of classroom work. Some guy cried the blues, saying it was too hard for him to achieve. He went looking for help and there was NACHI who took up his cause.
    Anyway, a fight ensued, the lobbyists got rich and the standards got lowered to only 180 hours of classroom.

I'm a big advocate for making the standards tougher; to make our profession something other professionals respect; not what it is today.

How many times have you heard another professional talk down about us or actually laugh because, as he asks his client "was your inspector blind?'

In the trades, a 'master carpenter' is someone who is top notch; he's earned the title. What are the requirements to become a 'certified master inspector'? I been doing this for 15 years with well over 7,000 inspections; should one be considered a 'master' just because of the number of inspections or because they really are GREAT at what they do?

Bruce, what would it take YOU to certify a house is in move-in condition?
    Oh, wait, NACHI doesn't certify the house, the owner does? Come on, just another 'scam' that an oblivious public gets fleeced on.

I'm not promoting any association, I just shining the light on questionable practices of a certain one.

Texas just lowered the passing score on the exam because the schools needed accreditation and to many were not passing the test.

I think it is absolutely ridiculous for schools of any kind to be lowering requirement and passing scores.

With home inspectors there should be a required field experience such as a eriod of time in construction, construction management classes related to home inspection then a real course of 500 to 600 hours of solid class study followed by an apprenticeship for a year and then another year as a Real Estate Inspector and then and only then move on to a Professional Home Inspector.

A plumber has to put in his dues. An electrician has to put in his dues. Both cannot just walk out the door with just a small class under their belt and a lowered test score to come out that door as a Master Plumber or Master electrician.

You just don't get it.

When you 'certify' something, you should be guaranteeing that product. When you buy a certified pre-owned car, the dealership will make repairs on things that break-down within a certain time period.

I have NEVER inspected a home that I could 'guarantee'. (I have never inspected a house; even a brand new house, that didn't have problems- I have not met the 'perfect' house)
    My reports clearly define areas that need repairs or items past their life expectancy. I cannot guarantee something that is in need of repair or past it's life expectancy.

But there you go again; shifting liability. "hey buyer, this house is certified, but if there's a problem, look at the seller not me."

I'm willing to bet that your organization has a 'generic' agreement for your members. I wonder how many times it says "This inspection is NOT a guarantee or warranty"

You talking out of both sides of your mouth here Lisa.

I have done plenty of 'pre-listing inspections'. I tell the owner and potential buyers the condition of the house. I don't 'scam' people into believing something is better than it really is.

'people wake up; figure it out...' (fz)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast