Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Still looking to change software

Quote Originally Posted by JB Thompson View Post
    Not wanting to get into a discussion here about personal preference; however, there are index and summary documents. They are there for the using. If you're looking at my sample report on my website, I don't believe I put a table of contents on there and I only send the summary with the completed report.

There are also preset templates that are customizable. My report is anything but "check-listy". With that being said, in Texas our form is mandated by the state.

I'm not sure what is meant by, "not much of a finshed product considering you still need to download to the computer." ?? But whatever you meant by it, you're wrong.

I like Dom and use his web services; I think he's great. But I don't personally care for HIP. Unlike you, I'm also not trashing other guy's stuff either. I am merely offering a suggestion to a question posted by Thomas.

Bruce
    Not trashing so much as noting the appearance of the final product in comparison.

If you state it is great but I find it is not ,then I should say something as that is why we are here.

In order to do the voice thing which has a poor history of accurate dictation you are trading ease of use, for great looking and ease of reading to the client.

HIP index is clickable to go straight to the section you are needing to view.
    I would think this would be much bettor for lawyers,Agents and Clients .

When scrolling the borders can be color differentiated in HIP and to me other softwares just make my eyes blurry and feel confusing even to my trained eyes.

Hey as long as you are not using the report function as a marketing tool you are fine.
    No issues.
    If you state it is great but I find it is not ,then I should say something as that is why we are here.

Member Benefits1

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Elliott View Post
    Not trashing so much as noting the appearance of the final product in comparison.

In order to do the voice thing which has a poor history of accurate dictation you are trading ease of use, for great looking and ease of reading to the client.

HIP index is clickable to go straight to the section you are needing to view.
    I would think this would be much bettor for lawyers,Agents and Clients .

When scrolling the borders can be color differentiated in HIP and to me other softwares just make my eyes blurry and feel confusing even to my trained eyes.

Hey as long as you are not using the report function as a marketing tool you are fine.
    No issues.
    I've got no problem with you having an opinion.

The table of contents is clickable.
    It doesn't have borders. My opinion is that's too much for the eye.
    Voice is wonderful. Works as it should. I'm guessing 95% of the time, maybe better.
    I get many compliments on my reports including ease of reading.

So what did you mean when you said, "not much of a finshed product considering you still need to download to the computer." ?

Also, what does this mean? "Hey as long as you are not using the report function as a marketing tool you are fine."

I understand everyone has their preferences. But when you state something about someone's software that is incorrect, then I feel obligated to correct it.

I'm attaching my report should someone want to see it (names changed to protect the innocent). Click through the TOC.

I'm not a salesman for Interspect. Years ago, I was using a Word document then purchased a $400 HI software based on a Word doc. It had several issues with it and 3 months later, I was test driving Home Gauge, HIP, Keith Swift's product and a couple of others. I selected Interspect on the lease option, tried it out for 3 months, liked it and purchased it.

Bruce

Bruce Thompson, Lic. #9199
    www.TylerHomeInspector.com
    Home Inspections in the Tyler and East Texas area

Sorry about that, my file was slightly larger than allowed.

Please click HERE

and then click Sample Report

Bob,

If Bruce did that report in HIP it would look almost identical. He's in Texas and the report HAS to look like that. You're right it doesn't have bookmarks, but the main index is clickable which is more than many programs have. The only thing I'd say Bruce (I think I mentioned this to you before) is that the TREC cover page has to be page 1 and it's page 4 in your report. You'll want to get that fixed.

Home Inspector Pro - Home Inspection Software & Home Inspection Website Hosting
    Runs on Windows, Mac, Android, iPhone & iPad. Import HomeGauge, 3D & InspectVue Narratives!

I've got no problem with you having an opinion.

The table of contents is clickable.
    It doesn't have borders. My opinion is that's too much for the eye.
    Voice is wonderful. Works as it should. I'm guessing 95% of the time, maybe better.
    I get many compliments on my reports including ease of reading.

So what did you mean when you said, "not much of a finshed product considering you still need to download to the computer." ?

Also, what does this mean? "Hey as long as you are not using the report function as a marketing tool you are fine."

I understand everyone has their preferences. But when you state something about someone's software that is incorrect, then I feel obligated to correct it.

I'm attaching my report should someone want to see it (names changed to protect the innocent). Click through the TOC.

I'm not a salesman for Interspect. Years ago, I was using a Word document then purchased a $400 HI software based on a Word doc. It had several issues with it and 3 months later, I was test driving Home Gauge, HIP, Keith Swift's product and a couple of others. I selected Interspect on the lease option, tried it out for 3 months, liked it and purchased it.

Bruce
    opps I looked at the wrong report earlier.
    Busy day with unexpected last minute extra inspection (rare in December for Chicago).

But you did mention the need to insert your SSD card and I would think that since you are using" voice "you must go back and correct all typos.

I have Dragon Naturally Speaking along with several other Voice dictation programs such as Vlingo,Yahoo search,Google Voice,Nuance voice control and one other on my recently retired Crackberry Curve that was replaced by my Android Moment.

I also spent a year using Jott before it came out of Beta and started charging a fee.

One thing these programs all have in common is that they mis-hear you and I would assume that a Bluetooth device would only make that worse,especially if you are in the basement.

That is what I meant by need to still spend time at the computer.
    In a sense you are using the mic for notes and I do a good job of that just by using my camera.

You still need to go back ,download your photos and I assume massage the report.
    to me that is extra steps.

Find me a voice program that does it all with no need to even look at the computer than hit the word upload and I will be impressed.

Trust me as being a tech head for gadgets and always looking for a better way.

I know everyone is different so I am glad you found something you are comfortable with.

Looks like a descent program.

Quote Originally Posted by Dominic Maricic View Post
    Bob,

If Bruce did that report in HIP it would look almost identical. He's in Texas and the report HAS to look like that. You're right it doesn't have bookmarks, but the main index is clickable which is more than many programs have. The only thing I'd say Bruce (I think I mentioned this to you before) is that the TREC cover page has to be page 1 and it's page 4 in your report. You'll want to get that fixed.
    Hey Dom,

So far everyone I had talked to (back when you mentioned it to me) said the report was in compliance. I'm going to call the man who wrote the SoP and ask him.

Stay tuned.

Let me know what you hear as I'm happy to give our guys more flexibility. Robert Miesel (spelling?) is the TREC attorney who told me this as well as the woman before him, and I've heard it from others too. You can send it to Brian Murphy who is on the inspector committee too.

Runs on Windows, Mac, Android, iPhone & iPad. Import HomeGauge, 3D & InspectVue Narratives!

You actually have another issue too: §535.223.
    (D) the inspector may add a cover page to the report form;

This was asked to the committee and it as said that it is only 'a' page as they stated above. You have two pages before the TREC form.

That being said, I was told by the TREC attorney that the OP-I form could not be included in the same PDF as the report. It's taken about 6 months to get an official word otherwise. So not everything said is always correct!

Bob,

Let me know what you hear as I'm happy to give our guys more flexibility. Robert Miesel (spelling?) is the TREC attorney who told me this as well as the woman before him, and I've heard it from others too. You can send it to Brian Murphy who is on the inspector committee too.
    You actually have another issue too: §535.223.
    (D) the inspector may add a cover page to the report form;

This was asked to the committee and it as said that it is only 'a' page as they stated above. You have two pages before the TREC form.

That being said, I was told by the TREC attorney that the OP-I form could not be included in the same PDF as the report. It's taken about 6 months to get an official word otherwise. So not everything said is always correct!
    I spoke with Robert Miesel (I don't know spelling either). I described my report to him including the numbering and the table of contents. He said it was fine. The TREC cover page only has to be page one, if it is actually page one (paraphrased)

He said he was looking at a report right now that had no numbering, the inspection agreement was in there and it looked like "someone put it in a bag and shook it up". So he is pro-numbering in order to help the client find the information. He said if someone filed a complaint on my report based solely on the page numbering, he wouldn't give much credence to the complaint.

I don't include the OP-I in my report (were you talking about mine?) I send it to the client when they hire me.

Bruce

The OP-I form was an issue that we had and finally got the inspector committee to get an Devon and Robert to say it's okay to include with the report (inspectors had been told it had to be a separate document).

I'm surprised about the cover page as a prominent Texas inspector had brought up a big issue about wanting multiple cover pages and was specifically told that he could only have one. It would be nice if they could write these things down so people don't have to worry.

The OP-I form was an issue that we had and finally got the inspector committee to get an Devon and Robert to say it's okay to include with the report (inspectors had been told it had to be a separate document).

I'm surprised about the cover page as a prominent Texas inspector had brought up a big issue about wanting multiple cover pages and was specifically told that he could only have one. It would be nice if they could write these things down so people don't have to worry.
    Why on earth would you have multiple cover pages?

You know, as I was talking to him, I was thinking, "boy it would be nice to have this in writing instead of his word against mine"

He intimated that they weren't concerned with the cover page/numbering etc.. issues as long as the report was not difficult for a client. He did express that the TREC cover page (as opposed to my cover page) had to have the client's name on it.

Thanks for everything. Have a Merry Christmas!

Bruce

Hi Bruce,

I totally agree with that. I got most of my answers now in an email which is good enough. You might want to email him to confirm that way you have a hard copy.

Merry Christmas to you too

Jeff Knight Guest

He intimated that they weren't concerned with the cover page/numbering etc.. issues as long as the report was not difficult for a client.
    Hmmm.....maybe they should look at the whole structure of the report and see if it is difficult for a client. Yes....the cover page and numbering are the least of the issues with this forced formatted report.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12