Thread: Cut out

Ryan Stouffer Guest

Default Cut out

Any thoughts on the way this area has been cut out?

Thanks,

Ryan

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Member Benefits1

A.D. Miller Guest

Default Re: Cut out

RS: Typical HVAC crew hack job. I would report the field alteration of the top plate as atypical and almost certainly not according to the original building plans, and require further investigation by a structural engineer.

Ryan, I need more information on what I'm looking at before I follow A.D.'s lead and condemn it. I think I see the top of a basement wall with a air vent passing into a chase which may turn vertical. The chase needs to be fire-stopped at a minimum and I would need a longer establishing shot to observe the load paths before commenting on the carpentry.

Jim Luttrall
    www.MrInspector.net
    Plano, Texas

Ryan Stouffer Guest

Any more thoughts on this cut out. Does anyone recommend reporting on it or just letting it go?

Thanks,

Ryan

The TJI perpendicular to the wall needs a joist hanger.

Definately report it. There are many ways to correct this defect. Let the client decide what to do next. Your observation, guidance on what to do is what the clients pay for . . .
    "Cut / damaged floor/ceiling support structure present. Further evaluation and correction by a qualified contractor advised. (carpenter)

Just my opinion.

It just needs a joist hanger. There is just one I joist cut and and the two joist on either side have bearing to the foundation wall. No need for an engineer, unless there is something on the other side of the wall we can't see. Gotta love the HVAC guys. They are handy with sawzall...

Randy Gordon, construction
    Michigan Building Inspector/Plan Reviewer