Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Chuck Lambert Guest

Default Can I get a discount?

How do you handle a potential client when you spend time with them on the phone answering all of their questions, explaining the inspection process, explaining your credentials, etc. They then ask what is the cost, you tell them and then they have the nerve to ask "can I get a discount?"

Things are a tad slow and I hate to loose an inspection but the nerve of some people really amazes me.

Chuck

Similar Threads:
    Inspection Referral

Default Re: Can I get a discount?

That is just the society we live in now. Everybody has a coupon, a blue light special, 2 for 1 deal or you can supersize it.

Sames goes for service business. Phonebooks are full of coupons or discounts.

When they ask me for a discount, I always comeback with "You already have" then I book the call.

rick

The nerve amazes me too but this is America and everything is open to negotiation. I fully understand if an inspector or company refuses. That's their right.... just as it's the right of someone to ask.

Price shoppers are generally a nightmare to work with. You will have a much higher instance of call-backs, lawsuits and other unsavory stuff so many people just avoid them all together. These days though, are tough and sometimes you have to 'slum it' a bit.

The size of people 'eggs' does amaze me sometimes but I realize times are tough and it's a free market so I don't really get too worked up about it.

I'll play with prices a bit from time to time to get an inspection that I want... usually, that would be on a larger, newer home. Along the same lines, my price will often go up as the buyer explains all the missing stuff and how the last owners put big holes in the walls and had 50 dogs living in the crawl space before the house got forclosed on

Kevin Barre Guest

To paraphrase another inspector who answered this question quite some time ago, you can always say " Sure I will you a discount! Now, please tell me what part of the home you don't want me to inspect."

That gives you an additional opportunity to explain to them (perhaps AGAIN) why price shopping for an inspector isn't in their best interest. Would they pick an attorney, doctor, or even a lawn care service based solely on cost -- without even checking references?

Doubtful. And if so, you don't need them as a client.

The bottom line as I see it is that you have to educate them as to why only focusing on price is not wise.

Admittedly, I'm not successful 100% of the time. But for those few who won't even listen, well... I believe they deserve what they get.

Ted Menelly Guest

This is a seriously bad subject at the moment.

In a few weeks I have literally not booked ... don't know how much ... thousands.

I give a break to home a mile away ..... "sorry we went with x. They are doing it for xxx."

This past week i went deeper just to see what would happen. I gave a price of 350 for a home almost 5000 with the garages added in. Again .. this was just a test. Ole wifey found someone thru work for 280.00

I am not crying yet but it is getting close

I did 2 inspections this past week. It could have been 7. Those were real discounts to combat the internet bargain hunters. None of my discounts even came close. We have folks doing inspections for 250.00 no matter what the size of the homes. Others, and several, 200. for upwards of 3500 sq ft including everything.

Very difficult times for me. I'll fix it sooner or later but for now it really s**** There seems to be no combating the enemy recently. Lets see. If I did what they are doing I could have had, just this week, about 1100 to or more in my pocket. Hmmm. What to do, what to do. Give it all away and work steady for half way decent money ... keep the price up and make zip.

Ted Menelly Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Barre View Post
    To paraphrase another inspector who answered this question quite some time ago, you can always say " Sure I will you a discount! Now, please tell me what part of the home you don't want me to inspect."

That gives you an additional opportunity to explain to them (perhaps AGAIN) why price shopping for an inspector isn't in their best interest. Would they pick an attorney, doctor, or even a lawn care service based solely on cost -- without even checking references?

Doubtful. And if so, you don't need them as a client.

The bottom line as I see it is that you have to educate them as to why only focusing on price is not wise.

Admittedly, I'm not successful 100% of the time. But for those few who won't even listen, well... I believe they deserve what they get.

Ahhhhhh

These folks are not wanting an education. When they call 4 to 6 inspectors and you are closer to the top figure they are getting education is not what they are looking for. They are probably saying more like "what a schmuck. He is charging xxx more than these other 3, 4, 5 inspectors. He has to be out of his mind."

Not trying to put a damper on things but my conversion of callers to clients used to be way up there. It is down in the 25% range. HArd to fight that.

Kevin Barre Guest

Ted--

As Matt said "Price shoppers are generally a nightmare to work with. You will have a much higher instance of call-backs, lawsuits and other unsavory stuff so many people just avoid them all together."

I've not been hit with call backs or lawsuits, (maybe 'cause I don't drop my prices) BUT I remain strongly convinced that price shoppers are generally to be avoided. Why? If they can't understand the significance of the price issue, then they are exactly the people you want to avoid. Putting it bluntly, they aren't smart. Non-smart people aren't good clients...in fact, they are BAD clients. As Matt said, they are the most likely people to not understand the report...and the most likely to sue you due to the simple fact that they don't understand the report!

Trust me...you don't need these clients.

mathew stouffer Guest

I use to try to educate them, now I just say you get what you pay for. Even it you do give them a really good price they will just call the next guy and work him over. Just save yourself the aggravation and send them on their wall. A lady just called me today, I quoted her a really cheap price just to see if she would call back and she never did. Simply proved a point. Don't sell yourself short, because when you get to the inspection the place will be a dive. Then you will be thinking, what the hell am I doing this inspection for such a cheap price. Around every corner will be another issue.

I do as Rick and tell them that I have already given them a discount. Or if I feeling frisky and they ask me for a discount I ask them "Why?".

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

mathew stouffer Guest

I like it!

Ted Menelly Guest

Quote Originally Posted by mathew stouffer View Post
    I use to try to educate them, now I just say you get what you pay for. Even it you do give them a really good price they will just call the next guy and work him over. Just save yourself the aggravation and send them on their wall. A lady just called me today, I quoted her a really cheap price just to see if she would call back and she never did. Simply proved a point. Don't sell yourself short, because when you get to the inspection the place will be a dive. Then you will be thinking, what the hell am I doing this inspection for such a cheap price. Around every corner will be another issue.

Been there, done all that.

I tried lowering prices in the past and found myself in incredible dumps that took twice as long to explore/inspect/report.

I have been in this for over 30 years and have done inspection only for ten years. I have not seen the intense price only shopping like it is now ever in my past.

Some of you folks have second incomes whether it be another business or a wife or a retirement to get you thru the slower times. This is my only business and only income. Trust me ... I don't give up on the callers and follow up either later in the day or the next morning if the call came the night before. The answer is "Got someone else for x amount less" ... repeatedly.

As I say. It is getting a little tiresome, aggravating and a bit worrisome. Looking at a 1,000 or more less in my pocket every week for weeks on end is taking its toll. I am driving by those holes on occasion saying ... Hmmm .. another grand a week .. Yup, more headaches ... Yup, more folks in the future looking for someone to remodel there homes (certainly been there, done that) Then you say ... Another 4000 a month or possibly 40 to 50 Gs a year. Gotta seriously think about that. I don't get sued. I do nothing to get sued. I just don't think I can take the stress and headaches with the low dollar inspector. Like I said. I have been giving reasonable prices due to harder times and close to home inspections. Those reasonable prices are getting run over and flattened out by a steam rollers

Thanks guys for the come back

I had to laugh at Scotts post. I confronted a "Can you not do it for less" Or was it "You cannot do better than that" caller when I initially talked to him and then when I called back for a follow up and he told me of the man the wife got for 280 for that 5000 SF home. I hit him with a battery of non stop questions about him and his wife going to work for less today, do you pay less for your milk every day, Did you pay less for your steak (he was Indian) today than you did yesterday. The man got just a little PO'd.

I could not understand why

mathew stouffer Guest

That is crazy, 5000 feet for 280 dollars.

I don't discount or price match. What I do is explain my experience, certifications, insurance and explain our after inspection services that are included in the inspection fees. I encourage them to find out what the low baller can offer. They normally call back and book with us.

I have had a few that tried to get me to accept less once the inspection has been completed. I've been know to pack up my things and leave without saying a word or providing an inspection report. When they call me later because they're on the last day of their contingency period I'll take full payment by credit card and email them a copy of their report.

On the other hand I've also been know to give discounts at the end of an inspection just because I felt like it. But never when they asked for one.

MinnesotaHomeInspectors.com
    Minnesota Home Inspectors LLC
    ASHI #242887 mnradontesting.com

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Rowe View Post
    I don't discount.

Gosh Ken Do Coupons ( Like Offered on Your Web Site ) Count as a Discount ?

* enter code NNWEB50 for a $50.00 off regular price $25.00 for a Condo.

It Might have Choked Artie But it ain't gone'a choke Stymie! Our Gang " The Pooch " (1932)
    Billy J. Stephens HI Service Memphis TN.

If you don't ask for a discount you won't get one. People do not intend to be insulting, they are looking for a deal.

Department of Redundancy Department
    Supreme Emperor of Hyperbole
    http://www.FullCircleInspect.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Stephens View Post

Gosh Ken Do Coupons ( Like Offered on Your Web Site ) Count as a Discount ?

* enter code NNWEB50 for a $50.00 off regular price $25.00 for a Condo.
    Not really. 98% of our clients have a coupon so that's pretty much our standard price. Plus, we view our coupons as marketing, not arbitrary discounts.

Last edited by Ken Rowe; 11-20-2009 at 12:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunnar Alquist View Post
    If you don't ask for a discount you won't get one. People do not intend to be insulting, they are looking for a deal.
    Honestly I think alot of it has to do with a cultural difference. They may not intend to be insulting, but are.

Ron Bibler Guest

I have a coupon set up on my web site Santa Rosa California Home Inspection - Exterminating & Thermal Imaging $25 off and they get a news letter. and its a way for me to gather new clients. some people just get the news letter.

Best

Ron

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Menelly View Post

In a few weeks I have literally not booked ... don't know how much ... thousands.

I give a break to home a mile away ..... "sorry we went with x. They are doing it for xxx."

This past week i went deeper just to see what would happen. I gave a price of 350 for a home almost 5000 with the garages added in. Again .. this was just a test. Ole wifey found someone thru work for 280.00

I did 2 inspections this past week. It could have been 7. Those were real discounts to combat the internet bargain hunters. None of my discounts even came close. We have folks doing inspections for 250.00 no matter what the size of the homes. Others, and several, 200. for upwards of 3500 sq ft including everything.

Very difficult times for me. I'll fix it sooner or later but for now it really s**** There seems to be no combating the enemy recently. Lets see. If I did what they are doing I could have had, just this week, about 1100 to or more in my pocket. Hmmm. What to do, what to do. Give it all away and work steady for half way decent money ... keep the price up and make zip.
    I run into the same thing here in our small world. I frequently get asked if I have a "coupon" to discount my price. I chuckle then respond with a higher price, quote them the price I gave them a few seconds ago. You then can hear the light come on in their head. I lost an inspection on a 3000 side by side duplex with attached 2 car garages to an established inspector who quoted a fee $200.00 less because the Realtor is new and he wanted future referral business. The Realtor called me and said that she did not agree with the price (refreshing) and questioned the job.

Michael Carson
    Inspect It Right Home Inspections L.L.C.
    www.inspectitrighthomeinspection.com

Some of you seem to think that if someone asks for a discount, they are just a cheep Axxhole, and that they are going to be problems in the future.

IMO that is not the way it really is. The vast majority of people (including HI's) are price aware. That is not being cheep, nor does it make someone an Axxhole.

When your are asked if you give discounts or something similar, be prepared with what you are going to say.
    I have used several, here are a few.
    1) Is that price out of line?

2) Are you ready to book an inspection now?

3) What kind (How much) of a discount are you thinking about?

If you are not willing to reduce your price try this.

Thats a question many new home buyers have. I have found that inspectors who offer discounts (or a low price) are most often new and inexperienced or you will not be getting the inspection you paid for. Experienced home buyers already know this and always hire the better inspector. However, if price is that important to you I can give you the name of an inspector that may cut my price, or you can use me and have a better inspection. Which do you want, a cheaper price or a better inspection?

Be prepared to give them the name of someone that is new, cheep and/or has cut your price.

' correct a wise man and you gain a friend... correct a fool and he'll bloody your nose'.

Desperate people do desperate things.
    Kinda reminds me of a HI org that has bashed the owner of this board, and many members here.
    Now they are so desperate to get more members they come here to get free advertizing, by offering discounts on membership dues, and other scams

Phoenix AZ Resale Home, Mobile Home, New Home Warranty Inspections. ASHI Certified Inspector #206929 Arizona Certified Inspector # 38440
    www.inspectaz.com

Spring City/Surrounding Philadelphia area

Gotta say guys, I get price shoppers calling and e-mail me all the time and scheduling inspections. 99.9% of them are very nice people. They are typically 1st time home buyers, young, and very attentive to what I have to say. Do some of them hold you to a high standard? Sure, but we should also hold ourselves to a high standard. And they are a great source or referrals. Not sure where the idea that these buyers as a group are headaches comes from but maybe some of you have different personal experiences.

I advertise on my website an internet discount special. I hated the idea of it at first but when things got really slow last year, I threw it on my home page to see what would happen. My phone started ringing. I didn't book every call but it got potential buyers to call me and I now I had their undivided attention. The discounts I offer are an amount I can live with and typically end up being anywhere from $20-$30 off per inspection. I'm still working, making money, and getting my name and face out there. I now can't see myself taking the discount verbiage off my site any time in the near future.

I know not all areas of the country are the same and some companies are just dropping the bottom out on fees which makes it tough for the other HIs. I don't know how some of you handle your phone contacts but I handle all of my calls personally as I don't trust anybody to sell my service as well as I can. Plus, I give callers something to remember me by. I tell them up front in the call that I don't work for realtors or advertise my service in any offices. Buy the house, don't buy the house. It doesn't matter to me. I just want to help you understand what it is you are buying. There are more people out there who don't trust the realtor/referred home inspector relationship than you may realize. That is my niche.

I'm not knocking credentials and certifications by any means when I say this but I wonder how much of that registers with buyers when an HI tells them "I have this certification and that designation and I sit on this board etc etc etc". If I were a neophyte home buyer that knew little if anything about the home buying process or what made one inspector bettet than another, most of that stuff would fly right over my head and sound like a bunch of industry jargon. You gotta give them something that hits home and will make you stand out so they remember you.

I handle my phone contacts with the intention of trying to answer all their questions with my shpiel before they even get a chance to ask them. I think this helps instill confidence in them.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunnar Alquist View Post
    Just like with a set of tires! We are not a commodity, we are providing a professional service. I wish folks would realize it.

A few weeks ago I had a large home inspection with a radon test, the entire fee was right a $850. It was for a guy who was from South Africa, he and his wife are doctors at a large university hospital here in Nashville.

He asked me several times if I would give him a discount. I finally told him that if he pays me in cash I will discount $50 from the fee, I was just tired and wanted to go home!

When it came time to pay me at the inspection he pulls out his credit card and says $800 right? I said, that was only if you payed me in cash. The fee is $850 just like I told you if you do not pay me in cash. He signed the contract for $850 and noting more was said.

With some the art of negotiations is just part of their life.

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Jim Radcliffe Guest

I've done almost 375 inspections so far this year, and by following a policy of not discounting except for repeat clients - and then only by a maximum of $25, which happens to be the typical cost of acquiring a customer. I get calls from Indians and Asians asking for discounts all the time. I don't take it personally, and tell them I don't mark them up artificially to only have to mark them down with a so called discount. By the way, my average inspection fee this year is $460, too. I tell them they can get their taxes prepared by the old guy who sits at the card table in the front of Walmart for 3 months each year, or take them to the trained professional CPA in their town. I'm like the CPA. I'm in this full time, and its my only income. I'm code certified, and that means that when I look at your new home, I have the knowledge and authority to understand what is done right and what is done incorrectly, and document it for you and the builder - who appreciates knowing you hired a code certified guy. I also tell them I belong to ASHI, which means that I follow the standards of practice that they have developed over years as to what I am going to inspect. That gives you piece of mind. It is feature and benefit selling. Too many inspectors sound like pocket protector engineer types. They sound knowledgeable but scare the heck out of buyers that they'll tell them too much about the house. My competitors are leaving the business, and I see new ones coming in too. The new ones are the people who worked for Lucent last year, or an airline last month - and took their buy-out money to get trained and buy business cards (we're not licensed here). The new ones are buying Infrared and using it as a gimmick, or telling people their inspections 'meet or exceed ASHI standards' as a way to try and appear they are ASHI member when they are not. Or, they join ICC as an associate member for $35 buck, and pretend to be code certified. When customers tell me they are just checking prices, I have another speech I launch into, but that's for another posting

Ron Bibler Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Patterson View Post
    When it came time to pay me at the inspection he pulls out his credit card and says $800 right? I said, that was only if you payed me in cash. The fee is $850 just like I told you if you do not pay me in cash. He signed the contract for $850 and noting more was said.

With some the art of negotiations is just part of their life.

As Calif... Boy my first reaction to your post was (that would piss me off...)

But then sometimes we need to look at the world that others come from then we can understand the way they play the game...

Just a bit odd...

Best

Ron

Ted Menelly Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Bibler View Post
    As Calif... Boy my first reaction to your post was (that would piss me off...)

But then sometimes we need to look at the world that others come from then we can understand the way they play the game...

Just a bit odd...

Best

Ron
    No we don't.

We need to look at where they moved to and what the general custom is ... not what there general custom is in their past country.

It use to be that people were proud to come to The United states and adopt the customs and way of life here. In the past decades it has turned into "You must accept us and our ways because we are not going to accept you and your ways"

You want to barter ... move to a country where prices on everything are bartered. Lets put it back right again. If you don't like a break job price they are not going to ;lower their prices just for you. If an LCD is selling for 1000 in a particular store you either buy it or look into another store that may be selling it for less or shop on line and get it cheap. To be insulting to an inspector after a 300 dollar price is given by saying after he hears it "Oh, you cannot do better than that" is an insult. He is saying to the inspector that he thinks the inspector is not worth it.

Stop being so damn accepting of everything. The line has to be drawn some where.

Not picking on you Ron or anyone in particular.

All I am saying is if you don't like the US and its ways >>>>>> Don't freekin move here. If you don't want to blend into American society and you want to form your own little country over here then stay in your own country. Most folks that are from this country ask what the price is. After you talk to them a while and then give your price they will either book it, call you back and book it or just call 50 other inspectors until they are satisfied they have their cheap butt price. Folks from other countries will pester the crap out of you for a cheaper price only to go on calling and getting better and cheaper prices using your or another's inspectors price to get a better price than the last inspector.

Once upon a time it used to be that the first thing an immigrant wanted to do was learn the American language so they could fit into American society and blend into the local culture and customs. Nowadays it is we must learn their customs and culture and accept their ways.

Rant rant rant

To be insulting to an inspector after a 300 dollar price is given by saying after he hears it "Oh, you cannot do better than that" is an insult.

The perfect comeback to this is "You're right. I can do better. $350 is my fee. That's much better for me".

I can accept the bartering as a cultural difference only so much. After they have made their pitch, I give my final quote, and they continue to try and squeeze more out of me, I get annoyed.

Come do a good job for me, find everything you can, take your time for me. Put it all in writing in a report and stand behind it with your insurance in case you miss something. And I'd like you do do all of this for $50 less than you normally do. And I can call you whenever I need to, correct?

A.D. Miller Guest

Your inspection service is real — real value, real benefit, really works and does what you say it will do. It´s real. Price it fairly and refuse to discount.

Instead of discounting your service, which is clearly telling your prospective customer that it really isn't worth whatever price you put on it, give premiums, bonuses, and specials to spur purchases and entice people to book. After all, that´s all you´re trying to do with a discount.

If you simply cannot learn to say NO to bargain shippers, instead of discounts offer an upgrade, an associated product or service, etc. Use something other than a discount to spur sales. And make it a special, time limited offer. This way, when the offer is over, it´s over. Your price remains the same. You offered something to move your service faster, but kept price integrity. Plus, people love getting things for free; it´s far more powerful than giving a break on price.

As has been mentioned here already, your service is not fungible goods, that is, it is not a box of cereal, a set of tires, or a load of crap for fertilizing your garden. Continue to discount it, treating it as just another off-the-shelf commodity, and you damage not only your own business, but also the profession as a whole.

Would you hire an attorney that offered discount coupons? How about a surgeon?

"Would you hire an attorney that offered discount coupons?"
    Some attorneys get 50% of the settlement while others may only get 33%.

"How about a surgeon?"
    Well, yes, kinda. The insurance company only pays a certain amount to the Doctor. The Doctor is getting less than he would like to get, therefore the Doctor thinks he/she is giving a discount.

' correct a wise man and you gain a friend... correct a fool and he'll bloody your nose'.

I went to a garage sale a week or so ago. I found something I thought I wanted, and the price was pretty close to what I expected. However, I did ask the seller if they would take less than they asked (not a lot less). They agreed - SOLD.

Every single time I have bought a car, I have asked for a discount, or tried to negotiate the price.

I make it a point to ask for a discount if I pay cash when I purchase some things.
    I am not a low life scum bag because I ask for a discount.

I have a large following in a community of people other than red blooded Amerikuns. They have a habit of asking for discounts, or make it a point to tell me that they know that Mr. XXXXX only paid $XXX. I realize its a cultural thing. Here is how I deal with it.

I offer anyone a discount if they pay cash.
    I will also tell them that Mr. XXXXX bought a house much smaller than the one they are buying, so his price was lower for that reason.
    Instead of lowering my inspection rate, I offer to give them a radon test for a large discount, as much as 50%. I end up making more money, and they walk away feeling they got a great deal. Yes, I discounted my radon test, but as you all know, there is a wide profit margin there, and I am already at the house.

The up side of offering these discounts, is I HAVE A LARGE FOLLOWING IN THIS COMMUNITY!. They keep referring me and telling their friends to use me. I probably get 30 or so inspections a year from "these people". Yes, its cultural - I don't care. They are nice people, and very loyal.

Today I scheduled an inspection for a previous client. He asked for a discount. What I ended up doing was telling him I would not charge him for the travel up-charge this time. Yes I will have to drive a little further, but I did get the job, and he walks away happy that he got something.

I try to give the client the discount they want, but not give them the discount out of my fee. I add on a service, and may not get the full fee, but I did get the job, and I did get an up-sale. I may add a half hour to my job in drive time, and a couple bucks for gas, but I got my full fee for the inspection.

I guess it comes down to how they ask, and what real cost there is to give up - and still get the job. It's nice to keep getting the jobs.

Quote Originally Posted by A.D. Miller View Post
    Your inspection service is real — real value, real benefit, really works and does what you say it will do. It´s real. Price it fairly and refuse to discount. I like working and making money. Discounts work.

Instead of discounting your service, which is clearly telling your prospective customer that it really isn't worth whatever price you put on it, give premiums, bonuses, and specials to spur purchases and entice people to book. After all, that´s all you´re trying to do with a discount. Money off the radon test instead of the HI fee? What's the difference when the final dollar amount in your pocket is the same either way?

If you simply cannot learn to say NO to bargain shippers, instead of discounts offer an upgrade, an associated product or service, etc. Use something other than a discount to spur sales. And make it a special, time limited offer. This way, when the offer is over, it´s over. Your price remains the same. You offered something to move your service faster, but kept price integrity. Plus, people love getting things for free; it´s far more powerful than giving a break on price. Using your logic Aaron, if you give something away for free, you totally devalue whatever that add-on service is.

As has been mentioned here already, your service is not fungible goods, that is, it is not a box of cereal, a set of tires, or a load of crap for fertilizing your garden. Continue to discount it, treating it as just another off-the-shelf commodity, and you damage not only your own business, but also the profession as a whole. I'm all for raising the bar. But doing that doesn't pay my bills and won't comfort me when I look at an empty work schedule because I tried to set a higher standard with my pricing. My business is far from damaged and the way I am doing things has made it even stronger. I am working, making money, and getting my name and face out there which is earning me referrals. No problems here.
    Run your businesses as you see fit guys.

Ted Menelly Guest

I have been slow.

Yesterday I said I need a few inspections before the holiday.

Last night I got a call for a 10,000 sf home with a 4 car garage and pool plus termite. Did I make what I could have in up times for that size home ... nope. After the inspection and paying out for the termite inspection I walked away with 900. For a days pay. It sure beet the hell out of sitting on my backside wishing for and trying to make the phone ring. Up times would have been at least a 1500 gross. did I make a mistake or sadly give it away .. no. Like I said still a decent days pay no matter how you look at it.

That inspection took me 2 phone calls and about an hour of bartering with an Indian man that was a friend of a client/friend. Even with the referral and 2 inspections for the past client/friend I still bartered for an hour. This time it was my choice. I was not letting the inspection go. That inspection added up to 3 300.00 inspections. I thanked the big guy for the fortitude to stick with it and not hang up. I was actually laughing at the audacity of the barter the entire time. It actually became a game and fun.

Oh yes. After the chemical is paid for I get half the termite treatment the home needs. I guess by not blowing him off I will make out before the game is over. Of course I have to do half the treatment as well.

Stuck with the up price or even a small discount off of it I would have been sitting here all day. Yeah yeah. Say what you may and what could have been said and handled. The only reason I got it was by not allowing that phone to hang up when I called him back immediately. I had someone on the other line. He was already calling inspector 3 or 4 when I called him back. The ones ahead of me were already at the level I agreed on. The next call would more than likely have been less.

He only owns several Hotels. I guess he did not buy them by paying top dollar. The house he is buying is half of what it sold for new. A foreclosure in the millionaires. Don't you just love it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Feldmann View Post
    I make it a point to ask for a discount if I pay cash when I purchase some things.
    I am not a low life scum bag because I ask for a discount.
    That's the line of thinking that bothers me on here Jack. Some HIs seem to be of the mindset that only derelicts and losers price shop. I don't know how some of us got so high on ourselves. These price shoppers who are viewed as substandard, trouble, or "not the type of clients I want" are the same ones who many of us were thankful for when we first started inspecting and helped us get where we are today. They took a chance on us when we had little experience and there were probably dozens of other companies available.

It's funny how things change.

How many times have we heard "Ask and thou shall receive." ?

Goes for the discount too I guess.

Ted,
    900. bucks in the hand is better than nothing right?

I've got no problem giving a discount depending on the situation. 25-75 is fine for me. A check is better than no check. Attitude and type of house are the biggest determining factors. The price someone else told them is irrelevant to me.

www.aic-chicago.com
    773/844-4AIC
    "The Code is not a ceiling to reach but a floor to work up from"

A.D. Miller Guest

As has been mentioned several times before when this subject has arisen, you discount boys must certainly be the arbiters of what your service is worth.

Aaron, I get the sarcasm in your reply but don't agree with it. Tying the idea of a discount or not to the notion of what one believes one's service to be worth isn't necessarily true. It is probably much more accurate an assumption when talking about business operation of newbies than of those who have been in whatever business for a while. I don't give a discount because I think I deserve less, am not good enough to get a higher rate, etc. I'd rather fill the week than not. Other times I specifically don't give a discount because I don't want the work. Sometimes I know the housing stock in that area or the client, etc. This notion that giving a discount in particular instances devalues oneself or service just doesn't really cut it. Depending on the demographic of the client it is almost necessary.
    Is that TV or Car less worthy because the dealer gave you a discount?

www.aic-chicago.com
    773/844-4AIC
    "The Code is not a ceiling to reach but a floor to work up from"

A.D. Miller Guest

This notion that giving a discount in particular instances devalues oneself or service just doesn't really cut it.
    MK: It does in my book.

Is that TV or Car less worthy because the dealer gave you a discount?
    MK: Cars and TVs were fungible goods, last time I looked.

I guess some people would rather quote 10 inspections at $350 each and sit at home staring at an empty work schedule instead of quoting 10 inspections at $300 and have a full schedule. The math seems pretty simple to me.
    $3,000 or no dollars.

I actually like the fact that there are inspectors out there with this "all or none" pricing mindset. It just means more work is available for me.

Ron Bibler Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Ostrowski View Post
    I guess some people would rather quote 10 inspections at $350 each and sit at home staring at an empty work schedule instead of quoting 10 inspections at $300 and have a full schedule. The math seems pretty simple to me.
    $3,000 or no dollars.

I actually like the fact that there are inspectors out there with this "all or none" pricing mindset. It just means more work is available for me.
    Nick Price has nothing to do with it... If they want you they will pay your price.

If one is getting 10 and no wants to pay $ 350 then the market in that area is soft. if that was the only factor...

95% of the time its your place in the market.

Best

Ron

A.D. Miller Guest

Nick Price has nothing to do with it... If they want you they will pay your price.

If one is getting 10 and no wants to pay $ 350 then the market in that area is soft. if that was the only factor...

Best

Ron
    RB: Good luck convincing these old-school marketers about the dangers of discounting your services. They would rather lower the fee structure for the entire profession than to just exercise a bit of self control and learn to just say no to discounts.

Of course though, as others may have mentioned, they do have a tendency to attract all of the something-for-nothing clients (who will just refer their something-for-nothing friends), so that they do not call me.

Best

Ron
    No, for many and most people, price has everything to do with it.

Like I said earlier in this thread, I'm all for raising the bar. But doing that so other HIs can command a higher fee doesn't pay my bills and won't comfort me when I look at an empty work schedule because I tried to set a higher standard with my pricing. My business is far from damaged and the way I am doing things has made it even stronger. I am working, making money, and getting my name and face out there which is earning me referrals. No problems here.

I know another HI whose wife works with my wife. We both got started in this profession at the same time. From the beginning, this guy set his prices above the average in our area and he told me he loses jobs because people tell him his fee is too high. There have been quite a few times where I have been working steadily and my wife has come home and said, "Jane said Bob hasn't had an inspection in 3 weeks" or "Jane said Bob has been really slow". From everything I've heard, it doesn't sound like raising the bar has worked too well for him.

Ted Menelly Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Ostrowski View Post
    No, for many and most people, price has everything to do with it.

Like I said earlier in this thread, I'm all for raising the bar. But doing that so other HIs can command a higher fee doesn't pay my bills and won't comfort me when I look at an empty work schedule because I tried to set a higher standard with my pricing. My business is far from damaged and the way I am doing things has made it even stronger. I am working, making money, and getting my name and face out there which is earning me referrals. No problems here.

I know another HI whose wife works with my wife. We both got started in this profession at the same time. From the beginning, this guy set his prices above the average in our area and he told me he loses jobs because people tell him his fee is too high. There have been quite a few times where I have been working steadily and my wife has come home and said, "Jane said Bob hasn't had an inspection in 3 weeks" or "Jane said Bob has been really slow". From everything I've heard, it doesn't sound like raising the bar has worked too well for him.

Now

I hate to sound like the village idiot but I do have to say this

The ones that literally force me to take those discounts or I don't work half the time, are the ones that have a second income already such as a wife bringing in more than half the bacon. I do not know any single wage earners that lower their prices near as much. I think it is a shame that when folks have a second income and they are still discounting to grab or not lose the market share they normally have is a sin. Most lowering their prices , in reality, don't even have to work because their wives could actually support the household or close to it.

Those folks just wanting to work steadier that don't need to lower rates because their household will still make it is insane. They are the ones that can hold the prices up for the industry and not force we single wage earners to discount.

I seriously have a problem with that everyday. I am told who they wound up using or what so and so is charging. I get sick to my stomach. I sit home so often lately it is sickening only to know Bill of Bob so and so is discounting to the max so as not to lose market share ... not because he has to to support his family.

A.D. Miller Guest

I hate to sound like the village idiot
    TM: You have plenty of competition for that particular position on this forum.

The ones that literally force me to take those discounts
    TM: No other person can force you to give a discount, so do not blame it on someone else.

Most lowering their prices , in reality, don't even have to work because their wives could actually support the household or close to it.
    TM: That could be true. If it is, the fault lies with the inspector licensing and protection organizations (ASHI, NAHI, INACHI, CREIA, etc.). The bar must be raised unless you want a bunch of retired vacuum cleaner salesmen, out of work plumbers and electricians , et al. vying for your business.

Ron Bibler Guest

Every industry has this issue... Look at the Rolex watch Co. and Knock offs from china... Yet Rolex is still around...

Nick to prove my point if you were to drop your inspection fees down to $ 250 you would not get any more inspection then you get now. price is not always the main point.

When some one call you have but a few seconds to sell your company...

I had a call the other day... The lady wanted information on my inspection and cost. So we went into the dance and after a few seconds it hit me that this was not a buyer but one of my fellow inspect companies fishing for information. the first point was the return phone # was not listed...

The point is its not % 100 about the cost. I sell buyers the Termite inspection. the Home inspection and a Thermal imaging all for one price... and its not cheap but they buy it day after day. its a good product we have.
    and thats what people want a good product...

Sell your product

Get the book. “How I Raised Myself from Failure to Success in Selling” by Frank bettger... you can Google it. this is the best book ever on selling. a must read.

Best

Ron

You guys think there are no low-ballers around here? I know a guy who sells a home inspection and termite inspection package for $290.00 total which is anywhere from $80-$100 below the median price in this area. But I don't care. He's got his market and I've got mine.

I never said I'm all about cost Ron. I get people who hire me and tell me they got cheaper quotes but they like the fact I took time to talk to them and I gave them more information than just a quote.

The notion that I need to avoid discounts in order to hold prices up for the industry as a whole regardless of how it negatively impacts my finances is laughable. How many of you who feel this way, and have a real problem with discounts, will send money to me when my bills are due and my pockets are empty because I tried to raise the bar with higher fees and lost jobs as a result? The answer is nobody.

The bottom line is that there is work out there. Maybe not as much in all areas but it sounds like it's there. If you want to survive a changing market, you either need to adapt and overcome or you risk getting left behind.

Last edited by Nick Ostrowski; 11-27-2009 at 04:07 PM.

Ron Bibler Guest

Agree Nick... we are on the same page. what I was trying to say is that maketing is better then low ball fees...

One thing we all forget is that buyers do not want an Inspection they do not want a real estate agent they do not want a loan

What they want is a Home. a place to hang out with a door to close and lock out the world.

So from this what is it you are providing ? I will leave this open for a bit

If you say an inspection you did not get it...
    Best

Ron

A.D. Miller Guest

The notion that I need to avoid discounts in order to hold prices up for the industry as a whole regardless of how it negatively impacts my finances is laughable.
    NO: It seems that you are the only one laughing about it.

Here's one for you.

I did a small condo inspection yesterday afternoon and when it came to collect my check this lady pulls out a coupon from another inspector that was for 50.00 off and hands it to me. I told her this coupon is for another inspector, not myself. She immediately starts ranting that she has never met anyone who wouldn't accept a competitors coupon.

I told her You have now!

rick

Ron Bibler Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Hurst View Post
    Here's one for you.

I did a small condo inspection yesterday afternoon and when it came to collect my check this lady pulls out a coupon from another inspector that was for 50.00 off and hands it to me. I told her this coupon is for another inspector, not myself. She immediately starts ranting that she has never met anyone who wouldn't accept a competitors coupon.

I told her You have now!

rick
    Rick Dude you get all the good ones... L.O.L. Its funny how some inspectors get the good story's or find something...

Me I never see any thing like that. same old inspection day in and day our. L.O.L.

Best

Ron

RANDY NICHOLAS Guest

I did an inspection about 6 years ago. The agent set up the appointment and said the client would be present...OK. the agent and client are Vietnamese or somewhere over there.
    As i am going about the house, they interpret with questions. I take the time to answer....any thing else? No
    At the end of the inspection, I describe my findings and a few recommended maintenance procedures. All of this is being interupted to the buyer through the agent.
    I'm done, about 3 1/2 hours, I get her email address to send the report and ask the agent for payment $325.00. He starts to interpret, she goes nuts
    I pay you $250. I say no $325. She says "I Jew you down".
    After all the interpretations and BS she speaks.
    I'm thinking "she didn't get enough NAPALM and I'm not Jewish" but stand my ground $325.
    She said OK handed me the cash and said "i tried".
    I haven't heard from either one since.

RANDY
    do you not go over inspection contract and agreement and have client sign before you do your labor. if that is not your inspection SOP. recommend you start doing it NOW.

BOMBS AWAY

CHARLIE

RANDY NICHOLAS Guest

CHARLIE,
    YES I DO... BUT AT THAT TIME (6 YEARS AGO) THERE WAS A HUGE LANGUAGE BARRIER. SHE DID PUT AN "X" ON THE LINE.
    I DOCUMENTED THE LANGUAGE PROBLEM IN "ADDITIONAL COMMENTS OF THE INSPECTOR"

RANDY

SIX YEARS AGO--THERE IS STILL THAT LANGUAGE BARRIER. GET IT APPROVED FIRST OR I,M OUTTA THERE--NOT AFTER INSPECTION BARGAINING.I DON'T INSPECT, UNTIL AGREEMENT SIGNED AND SEALED

CHARLIE

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Menelly View Post

I have to deal with Inspectors that will go as low as a $125.00 flat fee for an inspection. I'm sure these inspections last a whole 15 min. The sad thing is, the buyer is only looking at the bottom line and they promote these cheap fees by hunting out those cheap Inspectors.

Jim Radcliffe Guest

Smile Re: Can I get a discount?

I don't know what part of the country you are in, but I am extremely busy - and charge top dollar. Plus, the majority of my clients are Chinese, Indian and Vietnamese (I'm a wasp from Phila). We compete, but not on price. We are competitive, but we sell our experience, capabilities, and references. It works. Sure we get people calling for an inspection "...this afternoon on a 1970 foreclosure I'm buying for $35,000." We quote $695 on that one, and they hang up - like we want them to. But if someone wants a new to 3 yr old 3/2 ranch on a slab inspected, we're right in there being competitive at $350 to $375. I tell them they can get their taxes done by the guy who sits at Walmart 3 months each year, or go to their local CPA. I'm like the CPA. If they're educated, they book with us. So far this year I've done 390 inspections (as of Dec 3rd), and I have 2 to do on Friday and 2 on Saturday- and 2 booked next week already. Plus, I send my overflow to another inspector who pays me a finders fee.

We tell our customers we require a signed inspection agreement AND a credit card onfile before the inspection. If no credit card number, we don't confirm the appointment. If they ask for an additional discount at the house, we smile and say no. Its just the culture of some folks.

mathew stouffer Guest

I have found the bottom line is you do not want to deal with people looking for a discount. 99 percent of the time they are trouble.

Ted Menelly Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Radcliffe View Post
    I don't know what part of the country you are in, but I am extremely busy - and charge top dollar. Plus, the majority of my clients are Chinese, Indian and Vietnamese (I'm a wasp from Phila). We compete, but not on price. We are competitive, but we sell our experience, capabilities, and references. It works. Sure we get people calling for an inspection "...this afternoon on a 1970 foreclosure I'm buying for $35,000." We quote $695 on that one, and they hang up - like we want them to. But if someone wants a new to 3 yr old 3/2 ranch on a slab inspected, we're right in there being competitive at $350 to $375. I tell them they can get their taxes done by the guy who sits at Walmart 3 months each year, or go to their local CPA. I'm like the CPA. If they're educated, they book with us. So far this year I've done 390 inspections (as of Dec 3rd), and I have 2 to do on Friday and 2 on Saturday- and 2 booked next week already. Plus, I send my overflow to another inspector who pays me a finders fee.

We tell our customers we require a signed inspection agreement AND a credit card onfile before the inspection. If no credit card number, we don't confirm the appointment. If they ask for an additional discount at the house, we smile and say no. Its just the culture of some folks.
    So

Two inspectors per inspection is about 200 inspections a per inspector.

Sounds great for a slow year. I am only about that myself. About the poorest year since I arrived hear over 5 years ago.

I like the website verbage

If they are not ASHI inspectors or ICC Residential inspectors they are useless slabs of meat. Great marketing ! Well, something like that.

A.D. Miller Guest

When your prospective client asks for a discount tell him (her) about the everyday specials you offer:

(1) Free shipping and return. (Unless you charge for drive time)

(2) Free tech support for life. (Unless you have no service after the sale)

(3) Free peace of mind. (Unless you are incompetent)

I could go on like this, but the end result would still be, that unless you are an incompetent inspector who charges for drive time and provides no service after the sale, you have no need to offer discounts.

I received a call from an Indian fellow who was looking for a condo inspection I quoted my fee and he immediately asked for a discount, knowing that this is a cultural thing I agreed to a discount only if he booked the inspection with me now. If he had to call me back I would not discount the fee. I explained that I could book a house at a much higher price in that time slot. I asked what he did for a living he is an architect I said then you should understand a professional fee for a professional service. He did not book with me kept price shopping. Go figure.

Low priced inspectors hurt the industry at large. If they raised their prices then that price would become the low discounted price.

"Low priced inspectors hurt the industry at large. If they raised their prices then that price would become the low discounted price."

Yeah, if we were a little more like the oil companys selling gas.

Jim Radcliffe Guest

Indian callers asking for discount - we get them all the time and book them. We know it is cultural, but we never agree to a discount. Instead, we tell them "we promise not to charge you more when we are done." It sounds stupid but it works. Also, they may also call say their friend referred them to us and we did his for $200 and he wants the same discount. We politely say we never did inspections for $200 - our fee for the house is $350 (or whateverr). We tell them that if they get another friend buying in the same neighborhood and we inspect on the same day, one right after the other, we will discount his by $25 (saves our drive time). Most of the time they book - even if they ask again for the discount and we say we are already discounted (we're not). They frequently call back and book. And sometimes they go and get a friend and call back and book 2 for the same day and ask for the discount. This happens the most with warranty inspections. Indians like to buy in the same neighborhoods so it is easy for them to get another homeowner to get a warranty inspection the same day. Try it... but just remember it is their nature to always ask for the discount. Don't get angry or argue. Instead give them an out or be firm with them and you will gain their respect and business. By the way, today is Monday, mid December and we are completely booked this week with 2 each day - and even have 3 booked for Christmas week. We didn't discount to get any, and we even added radon at $199 to 3 of the inspections. It works, guys! Sell up!

Denny L West Guest

Smile Re: Can I get a discount?

Trying to stay competitive here in Northen Ohio is a joke . I have lowerd my fees just slightly cause I do the reports on site from my laptop. I spend a total of fours hrs mimum per inspection .cause thats the way i do things . ( The bigger the home or property Of course the more time I spend .) My fees are as good as others and lower than some not by much. I dont do 200.00 Inspections Mine are standard 300.00 up to 2800 sq ft . then 50.00 more for every 1000 sq ft . with no complaints . what I have run into lately is that some people will call ask about my services and prices then usually say this . well so and so says he will beat your price by about 40.00 . I usually say well thats fine . I can do it that cheap . with no photos . And I need 1 week to send the report . That usually gets them thinking . I have had them hang up call back the next day and book because the other inspector was bad mouthing not only me but other inspectors as well . I do find that some times you have to do a pay back . when it comes to price shoppers . when you know thay are calling because the other company says call so and so then call me back I will do it for 40 dollars less . thats where i say yeah i can do that for 195.00 . Luckily those havent called back . Just wondering how low some will go . its a tough market here in Ohio and some inspectors will stoop pretty low . God gives me enough business and I do the best I can for my clients and get a lot of reverals . Just waiting for the other inspector that goes cheap to go belly up and then Ill have more business . God Bless have a Happy holiday .

Ted Menelly Guest

Not funny and really rather sad but hey, sad can be funny when you think about it.

Below is what the multi multi millionaire Nicolas Cage has to do to make ends meet. Sell it all.

His properties

Talk about getting low balled

Locations: New Orleans; Bel Air, Calif.; Rhode Island; New York; the Bahamas; Bath, England
    Price: Roughly $56 million combined
    When you're more than $6 million in the red and forced to unload nearly every home you own, suddenly a starring role in The Bad Lieutenant: Port of Call New Orleans doesn't look so bad. Even if it's the business manager's fault, as Cage claims, his homes have been moving like items in a Wal-Mart (WMT) pre-holiday sale -- quickly and cheaply. His two homes in "port of call" New Orleans were appraised at $3.7 million and $3.45 million, but only fetched $4.5 million combined at a foreclosure auction last month. Meanwhile, his Bel Air mansion was on the market for $35 million before its price was dropped to $17.5 million. It sold for an estimated $15 million. His $9 million apartment in New York fetched $7 million, and he still may need to sell his $8 million castle in Bath, his $12 million home in Rhode Island and his $9.49 million home in Las Vegas just to make ends meet.

Whats a few million to these guys. (1) good movie and he'll recover all of that loss.

Losses as such is just the way of the market right now. I've seen his home in Bel Air. Way over-priced to begin with.

rick

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast