Daniel Leung Guest

Default Bedroom plugs and lights on the same AFCI breaker

I found the bedroom lights and plugs are connected to the same AFCI in a new house. I didn't check with the code, but I think it is not allowed because the light switch may cause electric arc and trip off the AFCI. Second, if it trips at night, then you have no light to find your way out.
    The owner and electrician claimed that it was accepted by the City inspector. What do you think?

Similar Threads:
    Crawl Space Creeper

Default Re: Bedroom plugs and lights on the same AFCI breaker

Although I prefer them to be on separate breakers, there is no requirement for them to be.

' correct a wise man and you gain a friend... correct a fool and he'll bloody your nose'.

The way the NEC is written a single AFCI could serve all the applications in a residence that require AFCI protection. This would, of course, be dependant on circuit loading.

With the exception of high dollar custom builds the price of AFCIs dictates that as few circuits as possible be installed as unfortunately low bid gets jobs.

I think what you saw is the common method of wiring a residence and has no code rules to the contrary.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Kriegh View Post
    The way the NEC is written a single AFCI could serve all the applications in a residence that require AFCI protection. This would, of course, be dependant on circuit loading.

I think what you saw is the common method of wiring a residence and has no code rules to the contrary.
    Daniel, as you know, you need the local BC Canada rule. No mention of AFCI lighting either allowed or disallowed in the PS Knight Code Simplified guide.

Your reasoning makes sense, but is there a chance of arc fault in a light circuit? If so, don't we need to protect people who sleep with the lights on?

Ted Menelly Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Leung View Post
    I found the bedroom lights and plugs are connected to the same AFCI in a new house. I didn't check with the code, but I think it is not allowed because the light switch may cause electric arc and trip off the AFCI. Second, if it trips at night, then you have no light to find your way out.
    The owner and electrician claimed that it was accepted by the City inspector. What do you think?

Sorry to state the obvious, but ... Isn't that what they are for. A switch, a light, an outlet, snathc cord out of an outlet, dropped lamp and bulb breaks .... If an arc starts to form the breaker stops it and helps to protect against fires.

Daniel Leung Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Cantrell View Post
    Although I prefer them to be on separate breakers, there is no requirement for them to be.
    Thanks Rick, that is the answer to my question.
    I know all bedroom lights and outlets need AFCI protection, but put it together on one AFCI breaker is not a good idea. I prefer separation too.

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Leung View Post
    Thanks Rick, that is the answer to my question.
    I know all bedroom lights and outlets need AFCI protection, but put it together on one AFCI breaker is not a good idea. I prefer separation too.
    Daniel. the Canadian Electrical Code for 2006, rule 26-722(f)(9) requires AFCI protection for bedroom "plug outlets". Lights are not mentioned as far as I know.

Maybe someone can post the rule in so we can pick it apart.

Daniel Leung Guest

Quote Originally Posted by John Kogel View Post
    Daniel. the Canadian Electrical Code for 2006, rule 26-722(f)(9) requires AFCI protection for bedroom "plug outlets". Lights are not mentioned as far as I know.
    John, thank you for the information of local codes.

Agreed

I believe the code does not talk about separation of outlets and lights.

I perever to see the two on separate circuits.

Most if not all of the condos I do have everything on one breaker.

Clarification of this would be nice espcially when doing inspection of new construction.