Default Plumbing vs Framing

Just wondering if the "notching, boring or holes" standards for floor joist, girders etc., etc.. apply to top plates as well. I was unable to find anything written that referred specifically to these areas. See attached photos

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Member Benefits1

Default Re: Plumbing vs Framing

I think it would be a good idea to strap it. Particularly in "shakytown".

Department of Redundancy Department
    Supreme Emperor of Hyperbole
    http://www.FullCircleInspect.com/

A.D. Miller Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Birenbaum View Post
    Just wondering if the "notching, boring or holes" standards for floor joist, girders etc., etc.. apply to top plates as well. I was unable to find anything written that referred specifically to these areas. See attached photos
    MB: This will help.

http://www.strongtie.com/ftp/fliers/F-REPRPROTECT09.pdf

Thanks AD for the link....This answers my question. I will add this to my resource file

Hi. Mike and hope all is well.

Looking at the pics you supplied, it does not appear that that the pipe penatration through the double plate is excessive or much more that 40% impairment of the plates.
    I would be more concerned with the surroundings that show improper pipe support with electrolysis and corrosion of the galvanized fittings, lack of vapor barrier, latent leaking from above visible on the framing, possible dry rot, and etc.

None of these old buildings meet or are expected to meet today's standard and sure that they met the requirements when they were built. I guess, one could say, they proved the test of time, but far from meeting today's standard.
    Note the observations and move on I guess. Recommending further evaluation from a licensed and qualified builder might also be prudent for upgrading the structure for longevity.

Just my opinion.