wes owens Guest

Default air handler in crawlspace

I was wondering if wrapping an air handler that is installed in a crawlspace with insulation would reduce or even eliminate the excessive amount of condensation that was forming on the unit?

Or would that be a bad idea?

The air handler looked like it was raining underneath.

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Inspection Referral

Default Re: air handler in crawlspace

Quote Originally Posted by wes owens View Post
    Or would that be a bad idea?
    I would think that would create MORE condensation on the metal surfaces, or, at the very least, not allow it to dry, causing it to rust out.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

It is basically a metal duct, treat it like one. I would check the interior duct liner (insulation) to see it it is has signs of water damage. Wet insulation inside can cause/allow condensation on the outside. If it is dry, reducing the R/H in the crawl or adding insulation would help keep condensation from forming. If you keep it dry, it does not have to dry out...

Jim Luttrall
    www.MrInspector.net
    Plano, Texas

wes owens Guest

I was just wondering if it would do the same as wrapping duct boots to reduce the amount of condensation that wicks onto the sub-floor?

Or kinda like wrapping the refrigerant lines.

I don't know if it would help or not.

Just trying to think of something that might work.

Least you forget, air handlers, unlike ducts, are opened for servicing.

Wrapping a duct in insulation which is never intended to be disturbed is one thing, wrapping an air handler in insulation which is going to be repeatedly cut open and never sealed back up tight is a totally different animal.

IF the insulation inside the air handler is adequate (as designed) then you should not have all that condensation on the outside.

However, once an air handler overflows inside the unit, the insulation gets wet and become like all wet insulation - useless.

Likewise, once the insulation has been cut and taped and cut and tape and cut and taped, you know it will be leaking air around those cuts and tape.

Heck, ever seen one re-taped after the first cut? Not often.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com