Default Squirrel vs. Roof?

I'm thinking squirrel damage but I'm open to alternative explainations.

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Member Benefits1
    MinnesotaHomeInspectors.com
    Minnesota Home Inspectors LLC
    ASHI #242887 mnradontesting.com

Default Re: Squirrel vs. Roof?

Think Bigger!

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    It Might have Choked Artie But it ain't gone'a choke Stymie! Our Gang " The Pooch " (1932)
    Billy J. Stephens HI Service Memphis TN.

Think EVEN BIGGER!

Lightning!

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    Think EVEN BIGGER!

Lightning!
    Really? Lightning? There were about 10 areas on this roof similar to these pictures.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Rowe View Post
    Really? Lightning? There were about 10 areas on this roof similar to these pictures.
    Ken,

First photo - see that burn mark where the lightning hit that nail and burned the sheathing around it as it blew those shingles apart?

Second photo - has same looking area, is it or is that just another area?

Third photo can't tell that much, but the lightning probably traveled across the roof, blowing other areas out.

Fourth photo same as third, but notice that everything is blown outward.

Lightning will take ALL paths to ground, including trusses, rafters, NM cable, any and all wiring ... see what it did to the NM cable in my photos? Blew that stuff apart.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

I won't say no to any of the above, but my guess for the last pic especially is a frustrated porcupine. Got lots of them in Minnesota, right? No, well then it was a coon.

Last edited by John Kogel; 11-26-2009 at 05:49 PM. Reason: We've narrowed it down to coons or aliens leaping from satellite dishes :>)

Ken,

First photo - see that burn mark where the lightning hit that nail and burned the sheathing around it as it blew those shingles apart?

Second photo - has same looking area, is it or is that just another area?

Third photo can't tell that much, but the lightning probably traveled across the roof, blowing other areas out.

Fourth photo same as third, but notice that everything is blown outward.

Lightning will take ALL paths to ground, including trusses, rafters, NM cable, any and all wiring ... see what it did to the NM cable in my photos? Blew that stuff apart.
    In the first photo in person it didn't look like a burn mark. It looked like a water stain on the plywood sheeting.

Second photo shows the exposed plywood sheeting. Shingles and tar paper had been torn away.

As you stated it looks like the shingles are "blown outward" thus my determination that it wasn't typical storm damage. At any rate I told them replacement was necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by John Kogel View Post
    I won't say no to any of the above, but my guess for the last pic especially is a frustrated porcupine. Got lots of them in Minnesota, right?
    Not too many...at least that I've seen. What's interesting in the last photo it the placement of the shingle staples. They encircle the area of missing shingles.

So soon you all forget!
    It's obviously yet another attack by the Norwegian Roof Beaver!

"There is no exception to the rule that every rule has an exception." -James Thurber, writer and cartoonist (1894-1961)
    www.ArnoldHomeInspections.com

My vote is for raccoon (probably a female looking to "nest"), based on the few photos provided. I've seen identical damage to several roofs, and it was easily identified as a racoon because the paw prints were visible on the side of the house where it climbed onto the roof. Any paw prints?

Didn't see any paw prints.

chris mcintyre Guest

Quote Originally Posted by John Arnold View Post
    So soon you all forget!
    It's obviously yet another attack by the Norwegian Roof Beaver!
    Something about this picture looks fake.

I'm pretty sure those are not real flowers in those hanging baskets.

Here are a few photos of similar damage. The raccoon needs a way to get on the roof, and will usually leave signs that they were there (they're not the cleanest of animals). In this case, there was a dirt trail up one of the porch posts and paw prints next to the service cable.

Here's one more photo. There was also damage to the garage door. Very ambitious critters.

chris mcintyre Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Frederickson View Post
    Here's one more photo. There was also damage to the garage door. Very ambitious critters.
    Extremely similar damage, but there was no access trail. There was a tree branch nearby but it would have had about a 7 foot jump.

imported_John Smith Guest

Are you working in the dark? Those photos look like it is dark outside. Or were you trying to catch the racoon in the act?

Based on my trips to your wonderful state of Minnesota, it may be a result of one of those fast paced curling games.

Trying to identify what caused it is fine, but at the end of the day, just report roof damage and move on.

Quote Originally Posted by imported_John Smith View Post
    Are you working in the dark?
    Ah, spoken like a true Texan..... this time of year at this latitude there is pretty much nothing but dark

Minnesota is pretty close to where I'm at (Oregon) and it's tough to find enough daylight this time of year to squeeze in a couple inspections..... I suppose it's even tougher to find the inspections

Quote Originally Posted by imported_John Smith View Post
    Are you working in the dark? Those photos look like it is dark outside. Or were you trying to catch the racoon in the act?

Based on my trips to your wonderful state of Minnesota, it may be a result of one of those fast paced curling games.

Trying to identify what caused it is fine, but at the end of the day, just report roof damage and move on.
    Sunset was around 4:20, but it was overcast with a light rain. Buyer's insisted on a 3:30 start time of the inspection so it was about 4pm before I got on the roof.

My reports are completed before I leave the house. It was reported as damaged roof and replacement was necessary. I was only asking about the cause for my own information.

Snowbird (this means I'm retired and migrate between locations), FL/MI

I note cracked tab further back/down in the third and fourth photos, staples and tearout damage in them and other photos.

Looks to me an incident involving a TV antenae, guy wires, or a satellite dish, satellite radio antenae, etc. improper installation of same, and possibly the addition of a clumsy roof walker or a hefty fallen branch combined with big winds. Possibly incident occured in cooler weather or was yanked down from a cable, hence additional tab fractures and damages. Another possiblity is an inexperienced person using a roof rake to deal with a snow accumulation and/or ice dam problem (the ridge damage looks classic for this).

Obviously roof requires correct repair and should be shielded immediately temporarily to avoid further water damage.

Although I see no indication of lightening, I wouldn't completely exclude the possibility of it being contributory, although suspect prior insufficient attempt at hiding/repair. I find the areas so obviously dry and apparently freshly exposed compared to the damp areas of the roofing, along with the description and conditions of the inspection telling. Perhaps someone was overcurious and destructive with a finger or screwdriver while up on the roof, just prior to your inspection and photo opportunity, hence the (wet/dry) debris pattern; might be something was just de-installed or removed prior to your arrival.

Those satellite guys are brutal if allowed to tromp around on a roof, walking in valleys, leaning on the ridge, crushing ridge and eyebrow vents, pulling off tabs, creating leaking penetrations, hanging on to plumbing vents like they're handrails, slipping around on wet or frosted roofs in the dark or at dusk, etc. - they're known (sadly also some "home inspectors") for their unskilled destruction, not unlike some "plumber's" reputations for doing damage to the structural framing on a retro fit or remodel. Some roofing repair contractors are known for similar intentional tactics to assure/drum up bigger jobs/business. Someone pulling/dragging down a large tree limb off the roof might also do this type of damage.

Last edited by H.G. Watson, Sr.; 11-26-2009 at 04:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Rowe View Post
    There were about 10 areas on this roof similar to these pictures.

Quote Originally Posted by H.G. Watson, Sr. View Post

Looks to me an incident involving a TV antenae, guy wires, or a satellite dish, satellite radio antenae, etc. improper installation of same,
    possibly the addition of a clumsy roof walker or a hefty fallen branch combined with big winds.
    Another possiblity is an inexperienced person using a roof rake to deal with a snow accumulation and/or ice dam problem (the ridge damage looks classic for this).
    Perhaps someone was overcurious and destructive with a finger or screwdriver while up on the roof, just prior to your inspection and photo opportunity,.

Those satellite guys are brutal if allowed to tromp around on a roof.
    Someone pulling/dragging down a large tree limb off the roof might also do this type of damage.
    ??????

It Might have Choked Artie But it ain't gone'a choke Stymie! Our Gang " The Pooch " (1932)
    Billy J. Stephens HI Service Memphis TN.

Quote Originally Posted by H.G. Watson, Sr. View Post
    I note cracked tab further back/down in the third and fourth photos, staples and tearout damage in them and other photos.

Looks to me an incident involving a TV antenae, guy wires, or a satellite dish, satellite radio antenae, etc. improper installation of same, and possibly the addition of a clumsy roof walker or a hefty fallen branch combined with big winds. Possibly incident occured in cooler weather or was yanked down from a cable, hence additional tab fractures and damages. Another possiblity is an inexperienced person using a roof rake to deal with a snow accumulation and/or ice dam problem (the ridge damage looks classic for this).

Obviously roof requires correct repair and should be shielded immediately temporarily to avoid further water damage.

Although I see no indication of lightening, I wouldn't completely exclude the possibility of it being contributory, although suspect prior insufficient attempt at hiding/repair. I find the areas so obviously dry and apparently freshly exposed compared to the damp areas of the roofing, along with the description and conditions of the inspection telling. Perhaps someone was overcurious and destructive with a finger or screwdriver while up on the roof, just prior to your inspection and photo opportunity, hence the (wet/dry) debris pattern; might be something was just de-installed or removed prior to your arrival.

Those satellite guys are brutal if allowed to tromp around on a roof, walking in valleys, leaning on the ridge, crushing ridge and eyebrow vents, pulling off tabs, creating leaking penetrations, hanging on to plumbing vents like they're handrails, slipping around on wet or frosted roofs in the dark or at dusk, etc. - they're known (sadly also some "home inspectors") for their unskilled destruction, not unlike some "plumber's" reputations for doing damage to the structural framing on a retro fit or remodel. Some roofing repair contractors are known for similar intentional tactics to assure/drum up bigger jobs/business. Someone pulling/dragging down a large tree limb off the roof might also do this type of damage.

HG: Again you show just how unqualified you are to give advice here. There are no indications that guy wires or anything else was attached through the shingles in these area. There are no holes in the sheeting, let alone tear outs in the sheeting where guy wire or satellite receivers would have been attached.

As previously stated there is only one tree nearby with nothing overhanging the house. The roof was somewhat wet, as anyone can see from the different shading on the shingles and staining to the plywood underlayment. I find your insinuation that I purposely damaged the roof insulting.

The roof is a 3 1/2 in 12 pitch. The plumbing vents are a foot off the surface. There's no reason for anyone to try to hang on to anything like a handrail. I highly doubt if anyone did damage to the roof with a roof rake. Because of the pitch of the roof and the height from the ground it can't be reached with a roof rake. Also, the home was a side by side duplex both sides were rentals with the owner living 1500 miles away. I highly doubt if the renters would even know what a roof rake was let alone how to use one.

In the future please refrain from posting your uneducated guesses in any of my threads.

Roger Hankey Guest

Ken,
    Were the cap shingles part of a ridge vent? I'm not clear what white or silver material is visible beneath the torn cap shingles.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Hankey View Post
    Ken,
    Were the cap shingles part of a ridge vent? I'm not clear what white or silver material is visible beneath the torn cap shingles.
    Nope, no ridge vent. This was a side by side duplex. The white that you see is the end caps of the fire rock underneath the plywood sheeting and the top of the fire wall between the units. The building was built in 1974. Hard to believe there was a fire wall between the units.

Ryan Stouffer Guest

My guess would be Tasmanian Devil!

James Kiser Guest

My guess would be Raccoon

James Kiser Guest

Think EVEN BIGGER!

Lightning!
    Wow!!
    I do think the lightning pics are amazing

Frank Suchodolski Guest

Whatever it was that peeled that roof apart was persistent, it looks like the roof isn't that old. When was it roofed? Do they allow staples in your neck of the woods. Fiberglass 3-tab shingles installed with staples, I thought most shingle manufactures didn't allow those anymore. Here is a reference fom GAF.

http://www.gaf.com/Content/Documents/22890.pdf

Frank Suchodolski, RRO

Last edited by Frank Suchodolski; 12-13-2009 at 12:49 AM. Reason: spelling