Thread: Venting

Default Venting

Does anyone have or know where to obtain the installation instructions for a york 90 percent forced air system? I need to know the distance requirements for the vent pipe from a window.

Similar Threads:
    OREP Insurance

Default Re: Venting

Try this website. Should be able to find the install manual there. Does the flue terminate above the roof? Have a pic?

Johnson Controls: York Products and Services: Catalog

Rob Jones
    Washington State Licensed Home Inspector #256
    www.washingtonhomeinspector.biz

Here is a few photo's.
    Anyone know why rust would be comming from a plastic HVAC vent?
    The first joint from the end is not secured. This is where the rust and leakage begins.

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images

Dennis Krouse Guest

Can you have that kind of rise on that vent? Is condensate water building up in there? If so then the rust has to be from the heatexchanger or housing, not good.

Dan Legner Guest

In general, direct vent appliances are required to be at least 4 foot below or 4 foot horizontally from any window or door. If direct vent is above door or window it would need to be 1 foot or more above. All joints are required to be primered and glued. The rust is worrisome. Needs to be investigated further.

ray jackson Guest

If you need specs on any non-current models, good luck. There is a website called UPG Union of Partners Groups. It is a Unitary Products Group site. They own York. You need to be approved to access the site. As for the termination, it is proper. I believe it is an alternate non-direct vent termination.
    I can't think of any good reason for that rust though, only very bad ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Legner View Post
    In general, direct vent appliances are required to be at least 4 foot below or 4 foot horizontally from any window or door. If direct vent is above door or window it would need to be 1 foot or more above. All joints are required to be primered and glued. The rust is worrisome. Needs to be investigated further.

Dan, I believe you are giving the dimensions for a non-direct vent appliance. Non-direct venting requirements are greater, as there is more of a chance that the house will be negative, and pull the vent gasses into an open window.
    In the US, direct vent appliances are normally required to be 12 inches for appliances greater than 50K BTU/h.

Looking at the pictures, I see an opening to the left. Is this the combustion air inlet? What is the vent or intake to the right? What is the PVC piping below the vent termination?