Thread: GFCI question

Default GFCI question

Hi All,

How do you guys call out a non-GFCI outlet in a kitchen sink cabinet or within an upper kitchen cabinet? When they are within 6' of the sink, I recommend upgrading to a GFCI. Today, I had a developer argue with me that since it was within an enclosed space it wasn't necessary. I insisted that it was.
    What is the consensus out there?

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

Similar Threads:
    Member Benefits1

Kathy Toohey Guest

Default Re: GFCI question

Hi Ken,

According to the California electrical code, section 210.8 (A) (6) all kitchen couter-top receptacles must be GFCI protected. Receptacles 20" above say in a cabinet does not require GFCI protection.

Kathy

The NEC requires receptacles that serve the countertop be GFI protected. I would be hard pressed to say that receptacles in a cabinet are serving the countertop.

As Kathy said about the 20" above the countertop, any that were installed more than the 20" would not satisfy the required receptacle spacing either.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Carr View Post
    Hi All,

How do you guys call out a non-GFCI outlet in a kitchen sink cabinet or within an upper kitchen cabinet? When they are within 6' of the sink, I recommend upgrading to a GFCI. Today, I had a developer argue with me that since it was within an enclosed space it wasn't necessary. I insisted that it was.

Thanks in advance for your feedback.
    Ken, sorry, you were wrong.

Jim Luttrall
    www.MrInspector.net
    Plano, Texas

I understand that outlets in cabinets do not serve the countertop and do not have to be GFCI. What my concern is are outlets that are within a cabinet close to a water source. Shouldn't an outlet in a sink base cabinet which is close to plumbing be GFCI?

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Carr View Post

Ken,

Forget the 6 feet.

That went out, oh, maybe 15 years ago or so (changed in the 1996 NEC away from that 6 foot measurement).

And when it was in the code it was for receptacle outlets which served the countertop, which *excluded* receptacles *in* cabinets.

Go here: AskCodeMan.com - Ask Codeman Building Code Q & A and download a copy of my GFCI page. It will show you what was required when.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Thanks Jerry.

Ken-
    Some Information on the subject:
    In a dwelling:
    Any Receptacle that serves the kitchen counter top must be GFCI protected. "The 6' rule" does not exist in the kitchen , like Jerry stated.

The "6' rule" DOES exist when you are dealing with Laundry, Utility, and wet bar sinks. Any receptacle with in 6' of the outside edge of these sinks must be GFCI protected.

In "Other Then Dwelling Units"
    ANY receptacle located within 6' of a sink must be GFCI protected.