Thread: UV Filter Light

Default UV Filter Light

What do you think of this? My initial instinct is that it's a big swindle, but then I almost never get sick or have any allergies anyhow. Anyone know of it helping?

Quantum 254 Detail

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Member Benefits1
    Jim Robinson
    New Mexico, USA

Default Re: UV Filter Light

Within this control area micro-organisms may either be killed or damaged from exposure to the UVC energy produced by the lamps.

The two words I have hi-lighted would give me pause!

Probably mutated and released to wreak havoc on an unsuspecting resident.

But seriously, anyone think these things are worth the electricity to keep the bulb on?

Jim Robinson
    New Mexico, USA

I remember being told by an HVAC guy - don't assume it's still functioning as an anti-bacterial/anti-mold/anti-whatever device, just because it's still putting out light. Apparently the UV output goes down long before the visible light does.

"There is no exception to the rule that every rule has an exception." -James Thurber, writer and cartoonist (1894-1961)
    www.ArnoldHomeInspections.com

Proven technology but beyond the scope of a HI to test other than to see that the light is on, defer to HVAC. I think the lights are supposed to be replaced every 6 months or a year.
    From Wikipedia:
    Air purification

Using a catalytic reaction from titanium dioxide and UV light exposure, a strong oxidative effect occurs on any organic objects that pass through the media converting otherwise irritating pathogens, pollens, and mold spores into harmless inert byproducts. The cleansing mechanism of UV is a photochemical process. The contaminants that pollute the indoor environment are almost entirely based upon organic or carbon-based compounds. These compounds breakdown when exposed to high intensity UV at 240 to 280 nm. Short-wave ultraviolet light can destroy DNA in living microorganisms and breakdown organic material found in indoor air. UVC's effectiveness is directly related to intensity and exposure time.

Jim Luttrall
    www.MrInspector.net
    Plano, Texas

For treatment of moving air they are pretty much useless, for surface treatment they can be very effective.

Measured Performance more than just a buzzword

chris mcintyre Guest

Quote Originally Posted by DavidR View Post
    For treatment of moving air they are pretty much useless, for surface treatment they can be very effective.
    Why? Is it the exposure time? How long does it take?

I see a lot of these lights with water filter systems and the consensus is that they work well. (if this is the same pathogens, pollens, and mold spores)

Quote Originally Posted by chris mcintyre View Post
    Why? Is it the exposure time? How long does it take?

I see a lot of these lights with water filter systems and the consensus is that they work well. (if this is the same pathogens, pollens, and mold spores)
    It is the exposure time as well as the intensity of the lamp itself.

Measured Performance more than just a buzzword

I had one on my well system a million years ago. I never tested the water to see if it was working or not. To really tell, you would need a benchmark on airborne organics before the light was in use, and another one after. I just reported what was present and how it is supposed to work.

Good point about the light. It probably generates some service calls for the installer to come back out and replace the bulb every six months.

Jim Robinson
    New Mexico, USA

fyi

Biological Inactivation Efficiency by HVAC In-Duct Ultraviolet Light Systems

http://www.epa.gov/nhsrc/pubs/600r06049.pdf

chris mcintyre Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Raymond Wand View Post
    fyi

Biological Inactivation Efficiency by HVAC In-Duct Ultraviolet Light Systems

http://www.epa.gov/nhsrc/pubs/600r06049.pdf
    O.K. 2 comments and a question.

Comment 1: I skimmed the pdf.

Comment 2: If I had read every word I don't think it would have helped.

Question: What are the results, yay or nay?

Quote Originally Posted by chris mcintyre View Post
    O.K. 2 comments and a question.

Comment 1: I skimmed the pdf.

Comment 2: If I had read every word I don't think it would have helped.

Question: What are the results, yay or nay?
    I skimmed it as well, probably for the same reason . The one thing I did notice was that the tested system has twelve UV lights. Not anything like the units I have seen in residential, one light that looks like the bug zapper in my neighbors yard.

The over 98% is impressive but again with 750 watts of power I think you could cook a hot-dog in there.

Where's our resident scientist?

Well you can always Google til you find what you want!

Well you can always Google til you find what you want!
    I think you found what we want. Now I need someone to interpret.

CaoimhĂ*n, where are you?

A.D. Miller Guest

I had this discussion at great length a while back with an HI in Houston. I prevailed and deleted the links, but can lead you in the general direction:

Ultraviolet - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Using a catalytic reaction from titanium dioxide and UV light exposure, a strong oxidative effect occurs on any organic objects that pass through the media converting otherwise irritating pathogens, pollens, and mold spores into harmless inert byproducts. The cleansing mechanism of UV is a photochemical process. The contaminants that pollute the indoor environment are almost entirely based upon organic or carbon-based compounds. These compounds breakdown when exposed to high intensity UV at 240 to 280 nm. Short-wave ultraviolet light can destroy DNA in living microorganisms and breakdown organic material found in indoor air. UVC's effectiveness is directly related to intensity and exposure time.

Ultraviolet germicidal irradiation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

UV Radiation - What UVA, UVB and UVC Rays Are and How They Affect Us - All you need to know about UV sun rays and their effect upon our body and health - Softpedia

American Ultraviolet Co. -- UVC Sterilization Print-friendly Literature

http://www.publichealthreports.org/u...8_2/118099.pdf

The short of it is this: UV has been proven to control microorganisms in air, water and on smooth non-porous surfaces. It has been employed for these uses for years, so is nothing new.

A.D. I confess, I have not gone to the links you provided.

Is one UV light, as normally seen in residential, enough? Are 12 over kill?

I went to one of the links:

How much intensity do I need to kill certain organisms?
    The exposure of germicidal ultraviolet is the product of time and intensity. High intensities for a short period and low intensities for a long period are fundamentally equal in lethal action on bacteria. The inverse square law applies to germicidal ultraviolet as it does to light: The killing power decreases as the distance from the lamps increases. The average bacterium will be killed in ten seconds at a distance of six inches from the lamp in an American Ultraviolet® UF-36 or SM-36 direct fixture.

As I indicated on my first post, I wouldn't spend too much on one!

Last edited by Vern Heiler; 12-01-2009 at 11:17 AM. Reason: Did some reading :-)

A.D. Miller Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Vern Heiler View Post
    A.D. I confess, I have not gone to the links you provided.

Is one UV light, as normally seen in residential, enough? Are 12 over kill?
    VH: It is my understanding that you cannot oversize, so theortically more is better, with this caveat: Many of the bulbs lose effectiveness after just 24 months and must be replaced. They are not inexpensive.

Intensity x Exposure Time = microWatt seconds/cm2

UV-Aire - Whole house air sanitizers, Kills, H1N1, Swine Flu, Influenza, bird flu

And I confess, I cannot read all of this to you . . .

I have a UV light on my pond. At first it didn't work well at all, then I found out I was pumping the water thru it too fast. Once I slowed it down, it really seemed to keep the algae levels down. I have to replace the bulb about once a year.

Have no idea how they work in HVAC systems.

Smile Re: UV Filter Light

Hi Jack

Thats interesting I did not know they made UV units for pond use.

Do you have a link were I can take a look about these units. Having a pond myself I am always interested in systems that improve pond water quality.

Thanks,

A.D. Miller Guest

Hi Jack

Thats interesting I did not know they made UV units for pond use.

Do you have a link were I can take a look about these units. Having a pond myself I am always interested in systems that improve pond water quality.

Thanks,
    RW: I use an in-line UV light on my Koi pond and it works great.

Koi Pond Filtering - U.V. Light Filtering - U.V. Sterilizer - Emperor Aquatics U.V. Light

Thanks A.D. I realized after I asked the question that the UV system might be for small Koi ponds. My pond is much larger and deeper and stocked with Trout. I installed a solar power aerator which works well at keeping the water aerated and moving.

Cheers,

A.D. Miller Guest

Thanks A.D. I realized after I asked the question that the UV system might be for small Koi ponds. My pond is much larger and deeper and stocked with Trout. I installed a solar power aerator which works well at keeping the water aerated and moving.

Cheers,
    RW: You can buy units in all sizes, but all would need to work in conjunction with a recirculation pump. My pond contains only about 1000 gallons including 60 l.f. of stream which is not quite deep enough for trout.

Thanks A.D.!