Default Framing for aluminum roof

These trusses are spaced approx 8ft apart with a corrugated aluminum roof. The house is in central Oklahoma. I was wondering if anyone could tell me if this is adequate and any other info on this type of roof as I never see them.

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Member Benefits1
    If it weren't for lawyers, we would never need them.

Default Re: Framing for aluminum roof

The horizontal pieces are called purlins.

The design, then, comes down to the truss engineer and the truss engineering, which would include support the gravity loads and any uplift resistance needed (which, from the photo, appears to be none, at least none appears to be being resisted).

I would recommend a structural engineer design appropriate repairs, with 'no repairs' being an appropriate repair if the structural engineer calculates it out to that.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Bombardiere View Post
    These trusses are spaced approx 8ft apart with a corrugated aluminum roof. The house is in central Oklahoma. I was wondering if anyone could tell me if this is adequate and any other info on this type of roof as I never see them.
    I recommend installing electric baseboard attic heaters for the snowy days.
    I try to picture a roof with 2 feet of wet snow on it. If that thought is scary, I tell them the roof needs a repair.

A farmer built that place, and farmers should let builders do it.

Quote Originally Posted by John Kogel View Post
    I try to picture a roof with 2 feet of wet snow on it.

And I try to picture a roof trying to lift the house like the wing of an airplane ... which happens in "high wind events".

There is nothing wrong with those trusses as far as gravity loads go *as long as* the trusses will support the loads of the purlins and the purlins will support the roof load. In fact, that is the way roofs used to be constructed decades and centuries ago (except they used post and beam with purlins instead of trusses).

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com