Default Dishwasher Inspection

I know some of you don't inspect or turn on appliances, but here in TX. we must.

Those that do inspect them, do you ever remove the lower kick panel to look under the unit?

I am amazed at how many DW's are actually leaking at the pump motor. We find probably 50% have a leak.

Similar Threads:
    Member Benefits1

Spring City/Surrounding Philadelphia area

Default Re: Dishwasher Inspection

Rick, I do the folowing with dishwashers:

- check to see it secured beneath the countertop
    - check the door and gasket
    - slide the top and bottom racks in and out
    - check the tub interior for cracks or chips
    - align the spray wands to make sure they turn when I run the unit (wands that don't move are a problem)
    - remove the kick panel after running and draining the unit to check for leaks (find one leak and it will become part of your regular routine - not all leaks will show up on the floor outside the kick panel, only the worst)

Joseph P. Hagarty Guest

I do not remove the lower panels of Dishwasher Appliances (as part of a Standard Inspection).

I check the sub flooring below (when visible) and note the presence of staining and/or active leakage after operating the unit.

Richard Rushing Guest

another issue with the dishwasher, is when it starts to go out, the water pump is one of the first things to go. Once that happens- just get a new dishwasher.

• Verify Air gap or high drain loop
    • Verify that the drain line is plumbed into the disposal and both are before the trap.
    • See if there is a kill switch on the countertop (some do, some don't)
    • Door only opens to 90 degrees-- past 90 degrees and you can have a leak
    • Unit is secured to counter
    • Door gasketing is in good condition
    • Soap dispenser works both manually and during operation
    • Verify that the scrubbers work (both upper and lower)
    • manually move the dial around to each cycle step--scower, scrub, wash, rinse, rinse, drain, rinse, heat dry
    • Check under the unit for leaks
    Another thing I do is try and determine the date of manufacture. It's not alwasy necessry as you can pretty much tell from the looks of the dishwasher if it's at or nearing the end of its life.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

RR

Must be a regional/local thing. I have never seen or heard of (until now) a kill switch for a DW.

"There is no exception to the rule that every rule has an exception." -James Thurber, writer and cartoonist (1894-1961)
    www.ArnoldHomeInspections.com

David Banks Guest

When I first started inspecting I could not figure out why some dishwashers would not turn on. I have since found about 10-20 percent have a switch at the counter top or under the sink.

Eric Shuman Guest

I see kill switches for dishwashers at the counter top on about 95% of new or 1 year old houses that I inspect in my area.

The counter switch shut-off to a DW is common in the Dallas area on newer construction. My home I moved from had one and that home is 16 yrs. old now.

That poor child in Arkansas might have been saved if one had been present.

Richard Stanley Guest

I have not seen one of those around here - I don't think. What do they look like - anyone got a pic??

David Banks Guest

Richard just looks like light switch.

The only ones I have ever seen are when the disposal and dishwasher outlets were wired to the same switch.

Eric Van De Ven Magnum Inspections Inc. (772) 214-9929
    www.magnuminspections.com
    I still get paid to be suspicious when I got nothing to be suspicious about!

Spring City/Surrounding Philadelphia area

Same here John. I've never seen one either.

Richard Rushing Guest

I used to not even make a note of them ( I still don't on my report) until I had a lady call me and ask why her dishwasher did not come on...

My first thought was oh sheeit (I couldn't remember her or the home 5 weeks after the inspection was done--- when she finally moved in). Then I figured it was just that simple... and it was.

Rick H. is right. The kill switch prevents the dishwasher from accidently being turned on by kids. And NO. It is not a requirement. But is is something that is worth making your self a note of if you happen to get a call and asking, "What do I do because the DW will not come on?"

God-almighty!! I still can't stand to think that poor kid was killed by the DW!! Every time I think of that, it just ruins my day...

Rich

God-almighty!! I still can't stand to think that poor kid was killed by the DW!! Every time I think of that, it just ruins my day...

You know what ruins my day Rich, the fact that NONE of the manufacturers I contacted gave any response. Not one!

Richard Rushing Guest

Eric,

The thing about that is... anyone from their company who would have given a respone probably would have been terminated for 'ANY' thing they say. I assure you the legal department issued a position statement advising against 'any' responses.

Bass-turds.

Rich

I always remove the base panel. I do not find that many leaks, but I do regularly find improper wiring and rodent droppings.

Department of Redundancy Department
    Supreme Emperor of Hyperbole
    http://www.FullCircleInspect.com/

James Duffin Guest

Doesn't section 422.32 of the NEC say you need a switch in sight of the appliance?

Quote Originally Posted by James Duffin View Post
    Doesn't section 422.32 of the NEC say you need a switch in sight of the appliance?
    I don't have the disk in front of me, but I would suspect it might say "means of disconnect".

As Eric said ... "disconnect".

That would be the plug on cord and plug connected appliances.

That could be the breaker with a breaker lock out on permanently wired appliances.

There is no requirement for a disconnect at the appliance (in sight of) if either of the two above options are there.

If neither of the two above options are there, then, yes, a disconnect would be required at (within sight of) that appliances. But why do that when either of the above two options is so easy to do?

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

One other thing which I didn't see above, door springs. You will know they are bad or missing when the door hits you in the shin! Note: Stand to either the left or right of the door when opening the dishwasher!

Richard Stanley Guest

"Richard just looks like light switch."
    Ok, then, I guess I did - once. The DW wouldn't come on so I threw some switches at the counter top splash backing - the DW started. I just figured somebody wired the thing through a light circuit - made the client aware - I did not realize what it was. Learning daily.

James Duffin Guest

Nobody puts a breaker lock on a dishwasher breaker and most are not plugged in...so a disconnect is required at the dishwasher? yep!

Nobody puts a breaker lock on a dishwasher breaker and most are not plugged in...so a disconnect is required at the dishwasher? yep!
    It must be a regional thing. Almost all are plugged in here.