mathew stouffer Guest

Default Snow covered roof

I have a client who is beside himself because I can not get on the roof tomorrow because of the snow. Just curious what you tell your clients. I told him there is nothing on that roof worth more than my health.

Similar Threads:
    Inspection Referral

Default Re: Snow covered roof

We run into that all the time here in MN. We disclaim it as not being visible due to snow cover and suggest verification of condition by the seller. If the seller cannot give verification then the buyer should hire a roofing company to steam the snow and ice from the roof and perform a certification.

MinnesotaHomeInspectors.com
    Minnesota Home Inspectors LLC
    ASHI #242887 mnradontesting.com

Ted Menelly Guest

Quote Originally Posted by mathew stouffer View Post
    I have a client who is beside himself because I can not get on the roof tomorrow because of the snow. Just curious what you tell your clients. I told him there is nothing on that roof worth more than my health.

Beutiful DFW got about 2 inches of snow on the roofs the other day and I had an inspection. I am not that busy at the moment swo I rescheduled for the next day. an inch, 2, 4, 6, It is not worth getting on a roof. You cannot see anything anyway when it is covered. I hear of people sweeping parts off to do a random check but I just don't see it.

Cobra Cook Guest

Wink Re: Snow covered roof

You can not inspect what you can not see, it is as simple as that. I do not believe any one in their right mind would expect some one to walk on a snow covered roof, you should have somthing to that affect in the report form you use, but you should not feel too uncomfortable about putting a ladder up to the gutters and just inspecting what you can see from that point. Take pictures and maybe offer to come back when the snow is melted. You should not have to explain how unsafe it would be to do much more than that. A roofer may be able to do more but anymore is not is the relm of a home inspection.

A.D. Miller Guest

MS: Carry a snow shovel for your clients to use on the roof while you inspect the other parts.

Red face Re: Snow covered roof

Mathew,
    As you can see I live in MI and have to deal with this much of the time during the winter. I tell my clients up front that I will obviously not be going up on the roof but I will pay close attention to the attic space (hopefully there's access) and checking the underside of the roof for leaks (around all roof penetrations). I'll also put my ladder up against the house in one or two places and remove some snow down to the roof coverings just to verify the type (i.e. asphalt shingles). Although for a demanding client, I suppose I would offer to come back later (after the snow melts off) to re-inspect the roof at no charge (of course), otherwise reschedule the whole inspection at a later date (may have to get the Realtor to write up an extension though).
    Season's Greetings!

RJDalga
    http://homeanalysts.com
    Kalamazoo, MI

A.D. Miller Guest

I suppose I would offer to come back later (after the snow melts off) to re-inspect the roof at no charge (of course)
    RD:

I have often been to court (as an expert and otherwise) when the judge does not call the case that day. The attorneys for the uncalled cases are billing all the while. I have occasionally been to the doctor when they cannot figure out what is happening with me, but the receptionist collects money when I leave regardless. My cell phone works about 70% of the time, but AT&T charges me the whole monthly bill.

At what point in time did home inspectors decide that their time was worth less than everyone else's?

Not going on a roof with snow on it. Stupid, senseless and a set up to get a complaint in the spring. If it is snow covered report states. "No assessment could be made of the roof due to snow cover". As others I pay close attention in the attic. Not going back for free either because of snow.
    Doing a partial assessment is a huge liability and not worth it. None of my clients would tell you I don't go above and beyond. But a snow covered roof forget it.

www.aic-chicago.com
    773/844-4AIC
    "The Code is not a ceiling to reach but a floor to work up from"

A.D. Miller Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Markus Keller View Post
    Not going on a roof with snow on it. Stupid, senseless and a set up to get a complaint in the spring. If it is snow covered report states. "No assessment could be made of the roof due to snow cover". As others I pay close attention in the attic. Not going back for free either because of snow.
    Doing a partial assessment is a huge liability and not worth it. None of my clients would tell you I don't go above and beyond. But a snow covered roof forget it.
    MK: Well said on all counts.

Mathew, I'm down in the valley here, I knew a past inspector in Park City who used to offer to come back (for a discounted price) when the snow was melted. Explain that it is a Safety Hazard and you will inspect attic for leaks as Robert said. I know that Park City bunch can be difficult to work with.

Tom Rees / A Closer Look Home Inspection / Salt Lake City, Utah
    http://acloserlookslc.com/

This one is easy! If you can't see it you don't report on it; the attic and roof cover are different componets of the roof system if one looks good don't assume the other is acceptable unless you get a good look at it. Tell your client that the roof cover is inacessible for visual inspection and recommend a qualified roofer inspect the roof cover prior to closing. Walking on a snow or frost covered roof does nothing but show the client how stupid you are. If he insists tell him to get an other inspector and just move on.

mathew stouffer Guest

I have no intentions of going on the roof. I was simply curious how you handle this when it comes up. Thanks for all the info. Plus there is no attic, it has vaulted ceilings throughout. That is one good thing about these giant homes, most have vaulted ceilings. No roof, no attic, no crawl space, easy money

"Dead inspectors write no reports "

- My Wife

Michael Thomas
    Paragon Property Services Inc., Chicago IL
    http://paragoninspects.com

Tom Kollias Guest

Typical in the Chicagoland area. If the roof is unsafe to be on for weather related reasons I disclaim it in my report (with photo) and state why. I will check the attic space if accessible for possible issues. I would then tell my clients that when the weather permits I will come back at a later date, if they want me to (they don't have to be there) and re-inspect and make an ammendment to there original inspection report, restating why I am re-inspecting now and not then.

I hope you get paid for the reinspect; that would be a good thing!

Brian Hoagland Guest

I don't Have that problem because of where I work. Just send them a copy of your associations standard of practice along with a photoshopped picture of you falling off the roof. That oughta do it. If it dosen't send them back the fee. People that unreasonable aren't worth having as customers.

Brian, never seen one of thoes early morning frosty roofs up in Titusville?

Hi all &

Good comments !

How about "you first, my dear Client" (just kidding, of course); and

Simply stated: "Roof cannot be Inspected [not visible]"...

When I also say "if your Inspector goes 'splat', you're obviously not going to get what you hired us for" and that usually get them to see it properly !

Merry Christmas to one & all !

-Glenn Duxbury, CHI

Cornish Home Inspections Guest

If they're insistant on the roof covering being inspected, we tell them wait until Spring. Further stating: There are certain limitations to the inspection when you purchase a home in the winter. If the grounds, walkways, driveway and roof coverings are critical to them, we tell them not to buy in the winter. Usually, they understand and we proceed with the inspection excluding those effected areas or systems.

Cornish Home Inspections Guest

[quote=A.D. Miller;111454]RD:

I have often been to court (as an expert and otherwise) when the judge does not call the case that day. The attorneys for the uncalled cases are billing all the while. I have occasionally been to the doctor when they cannot figure out what is happening with me, but the receptionist collects money when I leave regardless. My cell phone works about 70% of the time, but AT&T charges me the whole monthly bill.

At what point in time did home inspectors decide that their time was worth less than everyone else's?[I agree, but, if the property is near by within 20mi.s and within 7 days of the inspection date, we'll return free. Most likely the snow is still there. We will not go back 2, 3 or 4 months later.]

Roofing (All Areas)
    - Not Inspected
    - Snow covered at time of Inspection. Recommend further review of the roofing materials by a licensed contractor prior to closing.

If the roof being snow covered is a concern, then he should wait till Spring to buy a House.