Default Standing water in dishwasher

Anyone know if standing water in the dishwasher is ok? Builder says it is. I've heard in the past that it might be a good thing because it keeps seals from drying out. Owner says it causes a foul odor.

Similar Threads:
    Member Benefits1

Chuck Lambert Guest

Default Re: Standing water in dishwasher

I would say the only thing standing water is good in is a toilet!

Just think of all the nasties in a dishwater and then add standing water for a few weeks!! Nasty!

Chuck

Quote Originally Posted by Tom McDonnell View Post
    Anyone know if standing water in the dishwasher is ok? Builder says it is. I've heard in the past that it might be a good thing because it keeps seals from drying out. Owner says it causes a foul odor.
    There should not be standing water.

Sure there is a little but not that you would notice.
    That's one reason for a reverse trap in the drain line,and a built in check valve.

a little bit of wetness or something, yes. Standing water, NO. Can you see the drain line, probably no high loop, partial clog, or motor going bad

www.aic-chicago.com
    773/844-4AIC
    "The Code is not a ceiling to reach but a floor to work up from"

Ted Menelly Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Tom McDonnell View Post
    There is a valve in the drain to keep water from draining back into the unit. I am sure it is bad. There should never be standing water in a dishwasher. Washing dishes is suppose to be a sanitary thing , not a swamp with food particulate and stale water in the bottom of it.

Here is what Frigidaire owners manual (the first I came to when searching) has to say on the subject.

A small amount of water in bottom of tub is normal.
    It keeps water seal lubricated.
    and from Maytag
    Why won't water drain from the bottom of the tub?

Start by making sure the dishwasher has completed its cycle. If not, some water in the tub bottom is normal.
    SOME water is normal. An excessive amount is not.

Jim Luttrall
    www.MrInspector.net
    Plano, Texas

Snowbird (this means I'm retired and migrate between locations), FL/MI

All other things being correct and in proper working order, a dishwasher out of level/plumb can retain some water as well.

Sometimes something loaded into the dishwasher collects water due to its loaded position or changes postion during the cycles and when unloading the contents are dumped into the case. The dishwasher motor/pump must be operating to drain the dishwasher, when off, it can't drain.

What builder is this? Has he even looked at any other dishwashers to see how many of them have standing water? Could be a couple of things, but likely the pump / check valve scenario previously mentioned.

Jim Robinson
    New Mexico, USA

Sometimes I run the DW on AIRDRY. After awhile this can cause a smell to develop, also since the coil does not heat to evaporate the water it collects in the bottom.
    Run on HEATED DRY mode, that might clear it up

' correct a wise man and you gain a friend... correct a fool and he'll bloody your nose'.

I run the DW on air dry too. This does leave some water in the bottom. After i empty the DW I hit the 'Drain' button and it empties it out.

-Jon
    Errickson Home Inspections, LLC
    http://www.erricksonhomeinspections.com

petesmith Guest

I would be sure to drain that water out. I do not think it is to healthy to have that water in there.

Quote Originally Posted by petesmith View Post
    I would be sure to drain that water out. I do not think it is to healthy to have that water in there.
    You do not want to let the seals dry out either.

Here's a funny for you from quite a few years ago!

Small (tiny) house FSBO being bought by a friend of the seller.

I started the dishwasher about half way through noticing quite a bit of mineral buildup on the heating element but didn't think much of it. Heating element had never been used in seven years or so.

Inspection over except the dishwasher isn't done. Client says OK, I'm going to stay and visit. I'll check the dishwasher when it's done.

I leave.

30 minutes later client is on the phone. The dishwasher is smoking, what did you do to it!

It was close. I run back there.

No more mineral build up on the heating element. It all burned off when the heating element came on.

According to client and seller, LOTS of smoke rolling out of the dishwasher.

Now I start the dishwasher at the beginning of the inspection and look first for mineral build up.

-

Erby Crofutt, Georgetown, KY - Read my Blog here: Erby the Central Kentucky Home Inspector B4 U Close Home Inspections www.b4uclose.com www.kentuckyradon.com
    Find on Facebook at: https://www.facebook.com/B4UCloseInspections

Good point Erby.

I inspected a vacant unit a few years ago and the first thing I did when I started in the unit was to turn on the dishwasher. A few minutes later I turned on the hot water tap at the bathroom and was presented with the unmistakable odor and sight of dirty drain water....black and funky!

I always throw a quart or more of water into the dishwasher when I suspect that the unit has not been used for a while.

Dan Cullen
    www.domicileconsulting.com
    Chicago IL

Bret Kaufmann Guest

The reason water is still present at the bottom of the dishwasher is probably due to small amounts of debris (corn, food scraps, etc.) clogging the drain. Dishwasher pumps only operate for a pre-determined amount of time. If there is an obstruction, the waste water cannot flow properly. After the pre-determined amount of time, the pump turns off regardless of whether or not the dishwasher is empty. This is a common defect that can probably be repaired by cleaning the outlet strainer.

Daniel Leung Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Erby Crofutt View Post
    Here's a funny for you from quite a few years ago!
    Here's is another funny story around 10 years ago. When I test run the dishwasher in a vacant rental house. 10 minutes later went back to check for any leaking, the kitchen floor was all covered with bubbles. I think the tenant keep the foaming detergent in the dispenser for fun.

Bret Kaufmann Guest

Inspection Tip # 4065; Greet the client and proceed to the kitchen table. Go through the paper work in the kitchen. Start the dishwasher as soon as you can, ie just after the client signs the contract (in New Jersey, a contract is required, but all inspectors should use one). Remember, a nornal cycle may takes about 90 minutes to finish. That way, you have about 2 hours to check back occasionally. When you finish up and summarize for the client, you are back at the kitchen where you can simply glance over and check the dishwasher one more time.