Default Propane water heater flue through a SIP roof

What a great forum! I am building a new home in the Colorado mountains, and have a propane water heater on the second floor. The class B flue must pass through a SIP (Structural Integrated Panel) 12/12 roof, and I'm looking for guidance. The roof panel has 1/2 inch of Fiberock on the inside, bonded to 1/2 inch of OSB, bonded to 11-1/2 inches of expanded polystyrene (EPS), and topped by 1/2 inch of OSB. The water heater is 36,000 btuh input, and has a 3 inch diameter vent. I'm having trouble finding hardware that works on the 45 degree slope, and can't find the clearances required to the roof components, especially the EPS. Any comments would be appreciated!

Similar Threads:
    OREP Insurance

Default Re: Propane water heater flue through a SIP roof

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Wakefield View Post
    The class B flue must pass through a SIP (Structural Integrated Panel) 12/12 roof . . .
    SIP is a Structural Insulated Panel.

You will need 1" clearance around your B vent.

Stay warm. 4 degrees here in the Springs.

"Baseball is like church. Many attend but few understand." Leo Durocher
    Bruce Breedlove
    www.avaloninspection.com

The way people spell on this forum, at first I assumed you meant "propane water heater flew through a SIP roof"! Boom!

"There is no exception to the rule that every rule has an exception." -James Thurber, writer and cartoonist (1894-1961)
    www.ArnoldHomeInspections.com

Cool Re: Propane water heater flue through a SIP roof

Mike, I strongly recommend you have a professional install the venting and follow it up with combustion analysis. Any house built with SIPs will be rather tight and not a good candidate for a B-vented water heater. It will most likely spill carbon monoxide at the first wind gust or exhaust fan. Go with a power vented WH instead and don't put holes in that roof. Vent out the side.

Bob

Keep the fire in the fireplace.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Harper View Post
    Mike, I strongly recommend you have a professional install the venting and follow it up with combustion analysis. Any house built with SIPs will be rather tight and not a good candidate for a B-vented water heater. It will most likely spill carbon monoxide at the first wind gust or exhaust fan. Go with a power vented WH instead and don't put holes in that roof. Vent out the side.

Bob
    I agree with Bob, SIP homes are tighter than a jar of pickles! A power vent WH would be your best bet and any time you don't have to put a hole in a good roof you are better off.

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

The suggestion for a powered vent on the WH is a good one. Being SIP, the house is very tight. I have two 4 inch diameter combustion air ducts from a side wall feeding the high and low areas of the closet containing the WH, but wind is an issue, and there could still be some spillage. Unfortunately, the side walls are only 4 ft high, so a powered vent thru the wall could not be above the level of the WH. I wish I had opted for an electric WH at this point, but have installed and passed inspection on the gas supply lines.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Wakefield View Post
    I wish I had opted for an electric WH at this point, ...
    That would be good.

... but have installed and passed inspection on the gas supply lines.
    Does not mean you need to use them.

Just cap that gas line off and have it for "future use" if you so decide on gas.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com