brianmiller Guest

Default Readily Visible, Readily Accessible

Does anyone have a good definition for readily visibile and readily accessible?

thanks

b

Similar Threads:
    Inspection Referral

Default Re: Readily Visible, Readily Accessible

I ran across the actual definitions in my state (Oregon) statutes once. I can't remember readily visible but I do remember readily accessible:

readiliy accessible is being accessible without removing anything - basically an open door

accessible is being able to enter through a removable hatch or similar.

Keep in mind this is just Oregon's definition and this state is a bit 'odd' sometimes.

Snowbird (this means I'm retired and migrate between locations), FL/MI

Quote Originally Posted by brianmiller View Post

thanks

b
    In what context? Pertaining to what aspect or system?

Exit sign, Egress, fire extinguisher, Electrical, Plumbing, ADA/HUD, Mail box (USPS), Loading zone, Handicapped Parking, OSHA eye-wash station, etc.?

thanks

b
    This is from the NC Rules:

(19) "Readily accessible" means approachable or enterable for visual inspection without the risk of damage to any property or alteration of the accessible space, equipment, or opening.
    (20) "Readily openable access panel" means a panel provided for homeowner inspection and maintenance that has removable or operable fasteners or latch devices in order to be lifted off, swung open, or otherwise removed by one person; and its edges and fasteners are not painted in place. This definition is limited to those panels within normal reach or from a four-foot stepladder, and that are not blocked by stored items, furniture, or building components.
    (21) "Readily visible" means seen by using natural or artificial light without the use of equipment or tools other than a flashlight.

A.D. Miller Guest

(19) "Readily accessible" means approachable or enterable for visual inspection without the risk of damage to any property or alteration of the accessible space, equipment, or opening.
    OK.

(20) "Readily openable access panel" means a panel provided for homeowner inspection and maintenance that has removable or operable fasteners or latch devices in order to be lifted off, swung open, or otherwise removed by one person; and its edges and fasteners are not painted in place. This definition is limited to those panels within normal reach or from a four-foot stepladder, and that are not blocked by stored items, furniture, or building components.
    Removable fasteners? Can't nearly any of them be removed, nails included?

(21) "Readily visible" means seen by using natural or artificial light without the use of equipment or tools other than a flashlight.

What size flashlight?

This all appears to have been written by the same geniuses who authored the Texas SOP.

thanks

b
    This is what I have always used:

Readily Accessible
    Available for visual inspection without requiring moving of personal property, dismantling, destructive measures, or any action which will likely involve risk to persons or property

Readily Openable Access Panel
    A panel provided for homeowner inspection and maintenance that is within normal reach, can be removed by one person, and is not sealed in place

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Ted Menelly Guest

Texas accessibility

(1) Accessible--In the reasonable judgment of the inspector, capable of being approached, entered, or viewed without:

(A) undue hazard to the inspector;

(B) moving furnishings or large, heavy, or fragile objects;

(C) using specialized tools or procedures;

(D) disassembling items other than covers or panels intended to be removed for inspection;

(E) damaging property; or

(F) using a ladder for portions of the inspection other than the roof or attic space.

Why is it left so open ? Because every home is different. Every home has areas that are more or less accessible than the last home and it must be determined by the inspector. There is no way that anyone or SOP state that this or that is absolutely accesible. See the picture below. It is a crawl access that by any standards is very restricted for access, What has to be done to access it is dig out a bunch of soil, crawl down and then up into the crwal. I actually tried, a bit, but did not go all the way in as the inside was a joke to try to maneuver. You could access it but with great difficulty and then only a tiny portion of the crfawl. The standards left it up to me to determine. Which is quite fair and reasonable

OOps, Wrong picture but that is directly inside

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images