Thread: Window coating

Terry Sandmeier Guest

Default Window coating

Hello All,

I have a question about what I think is UV coating on windows. I was at an inspection today I observed on only one window about 5 circular rings or distortions in the panes of glass. I want not condensation but had almost a organic growth pattern. As far as I can tell it seems to be UV coating or similar coating that is distorting. Does anyone have more information about this, causes, effects, remedies? Any comments will be much appreciated. Thanks.

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Member Benefits1

chris mcintyre Guest

Default Re: Window coating

Terry,

When you say:

UV coating on windows.
    I am assuming you are not talking about between the glass, as in low E.

If it was a film applied on site, it could be an air pocket or something that hit the glass and damaged the film. I would say it is not a concern, other than appearance, as long as it is not between the glass.

Terry Sandmeier Guest

Quote Originally Posted by chris mcintyre View Post

I am assuming you are not talking about between the glass, as in low E.

Chris,
    I am not as well versed as I would like to be on the subject, The areas I am talking about is between the glass. I know the windows have gasses filled and sealed to give the low E performance. This is not mechanical damage to the window. Any other thoughts?

Ted Menelly Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Terry Sandmeier View Post
    Chris,
    I am not as well versed as I would like to be on the subject, The areas I am talking about is between the glass. I know the windows have gasses filled and sealed to give the low E performance. This is not mechanical damage to the window. Any other thoughts?

If it is between the glass it is mechanical damage such as a broken seal. Moisture has gotten between the glass and I see everything outside is frozen such as the water between the glass.

chris mcintyre Guest

Terry,

This is a good thread to check out, it has a lot of info, BS (one of my favorite parts of this forum), and links.

thermal windows begining to fog up.

Terry Sandmeier Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Menelly View Post
    If it is between the glass it is mechanical damage such as a broken seal. Moisture has gotten between the glass and I see everything outside is frozen such as the water between the glass.
    Ted,

I do see alot of broken seals and this is not water. Frozen water will have depth to it to an extent this did not, it was flat as with the pane of glass. It is hard to see in the pics, but I spent some time on close observation on it. + water will have a crystal formation of sort. This may be frozen gas?

Thanks Chris for the link.

Quote Originally Posted by Terry Sandmeier View Post
    Hello All,

I have a question about what I think is UV coating on windows. I was at an inspection today I observed on only one window about 5 circular rings or distortions in the panes of glass. I want not condensation but had almost a organic growth pattern. As far as I can tell it seems to be UV coating or similar coating that is distorting. Does anyone have more information about this, causes, effects, remedies? Any comments will be much appreciated. Thanks.
    Terry,

I ran into something similar a few months ago. I agree, it appears to be a failure of the Low-E coating on the glass. I believe the coatings are applied to the surfaces of the glass that are in that airspace between the panes. At least, that is my best guess.

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Department of Redundancy Department
    Supreme Emperor of Hyperbole
    http://www.FullCircleInspect.com/

Low e-coating is applied to the inside of the outer pane. I'd write it up as a defect found with the window.

James Bohac

Terry Sandmeier Guest

Thanks Gunnar, James,

I did write it as issue with the low e coating. The buyers had to repair most of there windows on the house they were selling and are particular about the windows in the new house.

You might want to tip off the buyers/sellers that many windows carry a warranty that might take care of this.

Jim Luttrall
    www.MrInspector.net
    Plano, Texas

Bob Spermo Guest

Actually low e windows have the coatings on different parts of the glass depending on whether they are in the northern part of the country or the southern part. In the southern part (cooling dominated) the low e coating goes on the inside edge of the outer pane and the ones in the north (heating dominated)the low e coating goes on the outer part of the inside pane. I assume on the window in question the film was not placed on the outside of the pane as that is not recommended for low e glass.