Thread: Radon Kits

Charles Guinn Guest

Default Radon Kits

I am a new inspector in Arizona, looking to you guys for recommendations on Radon Inspection kits - Reliable vendor; what do you charge for a test; etc....Any infor will be appreciated.

Similar Threads:
    Member Benefits1

Ryan Stouffer Guest

Default Re: Radon Kits

Sun Nuclear is who I bought my radon machines from.

Sun Nuclear is a good way to go and an affordable way to get started. I have their new Model 1029 and I like it. People like the hourly readings and the pretty little graph that you get with a CRM. And the tamper-detection features are a plus. But you can only do one radon test at a time with one CRM.

I would recommend that you consider an E-PERM system from Rad Elec. It costs more to get started than other systems but the cost per test (after purchase) is very low and E-PERMs give very accurate results. With a few pairs of E-PERM chambers you can do several radon tests at once. (You hate to tell a client you can't do their radon test because your only device is already in use on another test.) E-PERMs are fully-integrating devices (unlike charcoal devices) and provide almost immediate results but only give an overall average (versus hourly readings with a CRM) and do not have buillt-in tamper detection. E-PERMs are VERY versatile. They can be used for short-term and long-term radon testing. They can be used to do radon-in-water testing. With an ERPISU device they can be used for radon decay products testing. Every now and then you can find some pretty good deals on used E-PERM systems on eBay.

"Baseball is like church. Many attend but few understand." Leo Durocher
    Bruce Breedlove
    www.avaloninspection.com

We use Radstar 300s' AccuStar Labs

Easy setup, hourly readings and average measurement, tamper indicators. Plugs in to your laptop to produce the report. Pay one price, that's it...except for the $145 yearly certification.

I've got 5 of them here in MN and haven't had an issue with any of them.

MinnesotaHomeInspectors.com
    Minnesota Home Inspectors LLC
    ASHI #242887 mnradontesting.com

I have the Sun Nuclear 1029's. As said before it has the built in tamper devices. Graphically displays everything with hourly readings. They also have the next model down called the 1028 if you are short on funds. Does not have as many tamper dectection parameters. It still graphically displays the levels with hourly readings. They are worth the consideration.

Michael Carson
    Inspect It Right Home Inspections L.L.C.
    www.inspectitrighthomeinspection.com

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Carson View Post
    I have the Sun Nuclear 1029's. As said before it has the built in tamper devices. Graphically displays everything with hourly readings. They also have the next model down called the 1028 if you are short on funds. Does not have as many tamper dectection parameters. It still graphically displays the levels with hourly readings. They are worth the consideration.
    Another thing to consider is the 1029 has two detectors and the 1028 has one detector. That makes the 1029 more accurate.

Bruce Breedlove
    www.avaloninspection.com

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Rowe View Post
    We use Radstar 300s' AccuStar Labs

Easy setup, hourly readings and average measurement, tamper indicators. Plugs in to your laptop to produce the report. Pay one price, that's it...except for the $145 yearly certification.

I've got 5 of them here in MN and haven't had an issue with any of them.
    What is the cost for the Radstar 300? I did not see it listed on their site.

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Patterson View Post
    What is the cost for the Radstar 300? I did not see it listed on their site.
    Scott,

Professional Equipment has it at $849.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Duffau View Post
    Scott,

Professional Equipment has it at $849.
    Thanks!! I have 1027's now, but I'm in the market for a couple more. Anyone have any comments on the Radstar units?

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

I think we paid about $800 each. Pretty simple. Put the key in, turn it on and let it run. It will sample every hour until you turn it off. You can get the report as a text file or graph. Both show hourly readings and average readings. It does not have settings for the 12 hour closed house conditions, the more expensive models do. They all have internal batteries and are said to run for 50 plus hours without power, but I've never tried it.

David Burch Guest

When you are selecting your equipment for radon testing, don't forget to factor in the cost of calibration and spiking. I have been using the EPERMS for years and currently have 9 sets of chambers. The beauty is I only have to calibrate one reader instead of multiple CRM's. I have a question for the CRM users....Other than a curiosity, do you use the individual hourly measurement data for anything? Or do you only report the average over the time elapsed?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by David Burch View Post
    I have a question for the CRM users....Other than a curiosity, do you use the individual hourly measurement data for anything? Or do you only report the average over the time elapsed?
    David,

I see you live in the same city as Rad Elec. That must be convenient.

I have used E-PERMs for several years and only recently started using a CRM (Sun Nuclear 1029) because some clients (e.g., relo companies) want only radon tests done with a CRM.

I report the average radon concentration as that is what we are interested in. I make no mention of high or low hourly readings UNLESS they are an indication of tampering or some other anomaly.

Bruce Breedlove
    www.avaloninspection.com

David;

What Bruce said is basically the same way we report.