Default It's Christmas time again

I have several rental properties, and every year around this time I always have tenants that don't pay the rent.
    This morning I spent 2 hours at the courthouse filing for evictions on 2 tenants.
    But it's Christmas, you may say.
    I don't care if it's Christmas eve.
    Before I file for eviction, I have tried several times to contact the tenants.
    They will not answer the phone, will not return messages, will not respond to letters, or make promises to pay.
    They know they haven't paid. They know they haven't called me.
    They know they have lied or at least broken promises.
    So YES, Christmas.
    Last year it was 3, this year only 2, plus a 3rd one that was behind but did move out.

When they apply to rent I ask them:
    When it's your Payday
    Do you continue to go to work if the boss does not pay you?
    What if He will not answer his phone?
    What if He will not return your calls?
    Well, my payday is the 1st of the month.

Yeah, I know, this is a forum for inspectors. I am a member of a couple of Landlord forums. I read the post and sometimes post there, but you guys are like a friend, lucky you.

Similar Threads:
    Crawl Space Creeper
    ' correct a wise man and you gain a friend... correct a fool and he'll bloody your nose'.

Ron Bibler Guest

Default Re: It's Christmas time again

Rick your story has been the same for over 1,000 of years. This is your path that you set before yourself. Nothing new under the sun...

Some one has to be the land lord and some one has to be the tenant.

My question to you is how do you go about finding good tenants?

Do they go bad at sometime and point during the renting process or where they bad tenants before you rented to them and you just did not pick up on any bad vibes

Best

Ron

Thats the worst Christmas story I've ever heard. Won't be reading that one to the grandsons on Christmas Eve night.

rick

It was the night beforte Christmas & all through the house, everyone had been evicted, even the mouse

Clarksville Home Inspection
    JW Goad
    TN License #307 | KY License #2402

"My question to you is how do you go about finding good tenants?"
    It's a challenge. I verify references, rental history, employment, and income. Credit checks don't tell all. Two of my best tenants were evicted from their house before renting from me. Hard times hit good people too.

"Do they go bad at sometime and point during the renting process or where they bad tenants before you rented to them and you just did not pick up on any bad vibes"

Most times I have a bad feeling about them, but not always.

' correct a wise man and you gain a friend... correct a fool and he'll bloody your nose'.

"Thats the worst Christmas story I've ever heard. Won't be reading that one to the grandsons on Christmas Eve night. "

"It was the night before Christmas & all through the house, everyone had been evicted, even the mouse"

I know,"Scroog", but it's not like that. Remember, by the time they are out (6-10 weeks from today), the house cleaned (and repaired), shown and rented again, I will be out about $3k.

Charles Guinn Guest

Rick,
    For my rentals, I always look to see what kind of car they initially drive up in. If it's new, then they probably have the means---(probably, not always)...if it's an older car, is it a beater that they have held together with tape and wire, or are they at least making an attempt to take care of it.
    This doesn't alway work, but at least you could add it to your tool box.

Ted Menelly Guest

I use to rent out homes. One time I thought that if I put more into them and charged more those problems would go away. It does not seam to matter if it is 800 a month or 2000 a month the same problems persist. Some of my highest rentals were left is disastrous condition and these folks made some fairly serious money.

Who knows

chris mcintyre Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Hurst View Post
    Thats the worst Christmas story I've ever heard. Won't be reading that one to the grandsons on Christmas Eve night.

rick
    Now that's funny!!!!!!!!!!

I too am a landlord, never had a problem with December's rent if they are late they are late all year. I have one tennant 14 years now never pays on time but always pays the $50 late fee.

I have found it easier to work with someone than to rush to eviction.

Merry Christmas to All.

"I have found it easier to work with someone than to rush to eviction."

Yes, I will also work with someone, when they work with me.
    HOWEVER, When they do not answer the phone, will not return messages, will not respond to letters, then I must and do take quick action.

PS Be careful saying Merry Christmas, the AntiChrist folks may be lurking.

Ted Menelly Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Cantrell View Post
    "I have found it easier to work with someone than to rush to eviction."

Yes, I will also work with someone, when they work with me.
    HOWEVER, When they do not answer the phone, will not return messages, will not respond to letters, then I must and do take quick action.

PS Be careful saying Merry Christmas, the AntiChrist folks may be lurking.

No matter who anyone is and what they believe I just don't undestand what all the gar bage is about not wanting to hear or see Merry Christmas.

It has represented more of a get together with family and thanking whom ever you wish and giving without being a Ba Humbug fool.

It is a feeling. A time of year. A sence of goodness in even the most bitter folks. And, oh yes a time of Christ if that is your belief. Why any of that would have the affect of bringing out the worse in folks is way beyond me. Even if one does not believe in the latter, so what. Suck it up and say thanks. They are just wishing one well. If nothing else accept the fact that they want to wish you a Merry Christmas. It is sure better than the alternitive instead of saying what they might want to some other time of year.

Seriously. Study the next sentence and then ask oneself. What could possibly be wrong with that ?

Merry Christmas and a very happy, Healthy and Prosperous New Year to all.

Even if you do not like the Merry Christams part just respect the fact that the person saying it is saying it with all their heart and wishing good tidings to you.

Last edited by Ted Menelly; 12-14-2009 at 01:57 PM.

Ted I agree with you.
    It was a jab, so to speak, at ones that sometimes have something to say about salutations that include reference to a deity.

chris mcintyre Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Menelly View Post
    No matter who anyone is and what they believe I just don't undestand what all the gar bage is about not wanting to hear or see Merry Christmas.

It has represented more of a get together with family and thanking whom ever you wish and giving without being a Ba Humbug fool.

It is a feeling. A time of year. A sence of goodness in even the most bitter folks. And, oh yes a time of Christ if that is your belief. Why any of that would have the affect of bringing out the worse in folks is way beyond me. Even if one does not believe in the latter, so what. Suck it up and say thanks. They are just wishing one well. If nothing else accept the fact that they want to wish you a Merry Christmas. It is sure better than the alternitive instead of saying what they might want to some other time of year.

Seriously. Study the next sentence and then ask oneself. What could possibly be wrong with that ?

Merry Christmas and a very happy, Healthy and Prosperous New Year to all.

Even if you do not like the Merry Christams part just respect the fact that the person saying it is saying it with all their heart and wishing good tidings to you.
    Less than two weeks to Christmas, when does this usually kick in.

Update 1,15,2010

I had the eviction today at 9:00AM one of the rentals I spoke about.
    The other one did pay the rent.

6 weeks no rent.

It's late November 2010 and I'm wondering what this December will be like.

Well, it's Christmas again.
    I have not been paid rent since September.
    3 months, no rent
    Went to court today, eviction is January 9th

I love the smell of napalm in the morning.

Ted Menelly Guest

Well, it's Christmas again.
    I have not been paid rent since September.
    3 months, no rent
    Went to court today, eviction is January 9th

I love the smell of napalm in the morning.
    You gotta have a heart....as my Governor says. You should let them stay till spring when it is warm again and then rent to someone just like them so next Christmas you can tell the same story. At least to the end of May.

It is only money after all!!!!

Merry Christmas to all and I hope all of you have a wonderful and prosperous New Year.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Menelly View Post
    You gotta have a heart....as my Governor says. You should let them stay till spring when it is warm again and then rent to someone just like them so next Christmas you can tell the same story. At least to the end of May.

It is only money after all!!!!

Merry Christmas to all and I hope all of you have a wonderful and prosperous New Year.
    Ted, I know your just kidding around, but how do you feel when you get stiffed on an inspection.
    Would you forget about it just because it's Christmas?
    Oh, and if someone stiffs you, your out what, 5-6 hours.
    I still pay the mortgage, taxes, insurance, AND have to clean up after them.

BTW, I send all my tenants a Christmas card, even this one.

BTW, I send all my tenants a Christmas card, even this one.
    Certified mail?

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Hurst View Post

rick
    IMO this is still the funniest post ever on IN!

Spring City/Surrounding Philadelphia area

The hassle and headache of being a landlord doesn't sound like it is worth it.

"It takes a big man to cry. It takes an even bigger man to laugh at that man". - Jack Handey

Quote Originally Posted by Chris McIntyre View Post

IMO this is still the funniest post ever on IN!
    Yeah, that was good.

Nail the exterior doors shut, turn off the water, hydro and gas.

Tenants can be real reprobates. Hopefully they don't trash the house.

Cheers,
    Scrooge.

It's been a wonderful Christmas
    First time I can remember every tenant has paid the rent, and everything is rented.

I really like not having to evict someone at Christmas.

First time I can remember every tenant has paid the rent, and everything is rented.

Have to agree with you, similar situation for a change. Always hated being a Scrooge. It really took Christmas own quite a few notches. Now, evicting the tenants from the White House would be a different story.

Apparently a good sign the economy is turning around. Just curious but have you ever considered renting section 8? Once you understand and get past the bureaucratic quirks it does have its advantages, and your rent check is virtually guaranteed to be there every month. Although there are good and bad section 8 tenants just like regular market rate ones, HUD regulations hold the tenants responsible for damages, utilities being off, or failure to pay their portion of the rent if any. By violating these regulations they stand to lose their benefits, which can be a pretty good incentive to take a little better care of things and follow the rules.

Galen L. Beasley
    Inspections Supervisor
    Housing Authority of Kansas City MO

Quote Originally Posted by Galen L. Beasley View Post
    Apparently a good sign the economy is turning around. Just curious but have you ever considered renting section 8? Once you understand and get past the bureaucratic quirks it does have its advantages, and your rent check is virtually guaranteed to be there every month. Although there are good and bad section 8 tenants just like regular market rate ones, HUD regulations hold the tenants responsible for damages, utilities being off, or failure to pay their portion of the rent if any. By violating these regulations they stand to lose their benefits, which can be a pretty good incentive to take a little better care of things and follow the rules.
    I do have one HAP tenant.

Bah Humbug. What do you mean no evictions? Extremely disappointed, even if it's Christmas Eve! Ha..Ha.. Only kidding! HO HO HO

Merry Christmas..

.. and no I am not into the egg nog early, thats later!