Eric Williams Guest

Default Flexible PVC P trap

Any thoughts on the use of flexible PVC P traps, both the accordian type and the ones made from a non-rigid pliable material? See photos above. I am finding more and more of these on my inspections (usually related to granite countertop install or sink replacement) and am not sure if they are even an issue or if they are an issue worthy of mention in the report. I personnally have not encountered any problems with this type of P trap. They just look so wrong. Appreciate your input.

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Member Benefits1

Red face Re: Flexible PVC P trap

I seen a fair number of those things around here as well, usually as part of a rehab/flip project. The ones I have seen leaking are leaking at the folds in the bendy part. I usually just make a note in the plumbing section to watch for leaking and/or replace with rigid P-Trap as needed.

Michael Carson
    Inspect It Right Home Inspections L.L.C.
    www.inspectitrighthomeinspection.com

Ryan Stouffer Guest

Default Re: Flexible PVC P trap

As far as I know they are not allowed. I have posted the same question in the past and everyone said they are not an approved material.

They are not allowed anywhere that I am aware of. The inner wall must be smooth for all plumbing pipes.

Neither one of them are approved for residential use.

The accordion one will catch and hold gunk. The smooth flexible will collapse with hot water.

Needs to be rigid PVC, ABS, chrome, copper or another approved material. The key is "rigid".

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

A.D. Miller Guest

From FlexPVC.com sells flexible PVC pipe and braided hose online for wholesale prices

All white Flexible PVC pipe 1/2" to 2" we sell meets applicable UPC, USPC, ANSI, IAMPO, and NSF 50 (white only) specifications, as well as City of LA, Southern Building Code, and Dade County for PVC Hose, but is not for use with potable water. The gray flexible PVC is approved for UL in sizes 1/2", 3/4" 1" & 2" for electrical conduit, but you have to specify "UL rated" in the "comments" section on your order and there is a 10% addition to the price of the pipe. Only gray is available with a UL rating.

Quote Originally Posted by A.D. Miller View Post
    From FlexPVC.com sells flexible PVC pipe and braided hose online for wholesale prices

All white Flexible PVC pipe 1/2" to 2" we sell meets applicable UPC, USPC, ANSI, IAMPO, and NSF 50 (white only) specifications, as well as City of LA, Southern Building Code, and Dade County for PVC Hose, but is not for use with potable water. The gray flexible PVC is approved for UL in sizes 1/2", 3/4" 1" & 2" for electrical conduit, but you have to specify "UL rated" in the "comments" section on your order and there is a 10% addition to the price of the pipe. Only gray is available with a UL rating.
    They just make the pipe and not the fittings, like elbows, etc...

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Patterson View Post
    Neither one of them are approved for residential use.

To my knowledge, neither is approved for ANY use related to what they are made and used for.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Snowbird (this means I'm retired and migrate between locations), FL/MI

Not on the Illinois Department of Public Heath's approved materials for that purpose (Illinois Plumbing Code).

Generally its a sign of a DIY or hack work. In Illinois as a HI that would be a red herring that you should report.

Since you're seeing it after a kitchen or bath remodeler or countertop fabricator or homeowner has installed a new countertop (and likely installed the sink bowl) likely a sign that the not-legal-to-do-plumbing-work fabricator or contractor hooked up the new faucet and drain plumbing to the new sink installed in the new countertop without the required state issued or city of chicago issued plumbing license, without a local permit, or local plumbing inspection. That being the likely case, it would be concerning and an indication that more that can be seen and unseen may have been hacked as well - i.e. electrical, additional plumbing, NG plumbing, ventillation and venting, etc. in the same remodeled or "refreshed" kitchen, bar, or bath area.

That pic shows it wouldn't have been the least difficult to have done it correctly with proper materials.

Mr. Watson hit the nail on the head with this post. Not approved per Illinois plumbing code. And you do see these when people remodel their kitchen and there was no permit or plumber hired to ensure the drain pipe in the wall will accommodate the new depths of the sink bowls.

Many times I get called by a home owner after the cabinet company set the new counter tops and could not get the pipes together, or some reputable counter companies will tell the home owner they need to hire a plumber to put the faucet and drain pipes together. But sadly they call after the new cabinets are installed and the drain pipe in the wall is way out of place, which requires me to cut open the back of their cabinet to make the necessary changes to install the waste piping to code.

Quote Originally Posted by H.G. Watson, Sr. View Post
    Not on the Illinois Department of Public Heath's approved materials for that purpose (Illinois Plumbing Code).

Generally its a sign of a DIY or hack work. In Illinois as a HI that would be a red herring that you should report.

Since you're seeing it after a kitchen or bath remodeler or countertop fabricator or homeowner has installed a new countertop (and likely installed the sink bowl) likely a sign that the not-legal-to-do-plumbing-work fabricator or contractor hooked up the new faucet and drain plumbing to the new sink installed in the new countertop without the required state issued or city of chicago issued plumbing license, without a local permit, or local plumbing inspection. That being the likely case, it would be concerning and an indication that more that can be seen and unseen may have been hacked as well - i.e. electrical, additional plumbing, NG plumbing, ventillation and venting, etc. in the same remodeled or "refreshed" kitchen, bar, or bath area.

That pic shows it wouldn't have been the least difficult to have done it correctly with proper materials.