Thread: $200 inspection

Default $200 inspection

Ok, I done it. What can I say, I need(ed) the money. $200 inspection for a 1k ft, no A/C, no heating system, water off, gas off,2 bed, 1 ba.
    I would not normally do one at this price, but I was sitting at the office with nothing to do execpt read IN. As fun as reading IN is, IT don't pay nuttin.
    So go ahead, shoot me, right between the freakin eyes.

Similar Threads:
    Crawl Space Creeper
    ' correct a wise man and you gain a friend... correct a fool and he'll bloody your nose'.

Snowbird (this means I'm retired and migrate between locations), FL/MI

Default Re: $200 inspection

Confession I know they say is good for the soul, but no good posting for permanence to the WWW so others may similarly beat you down when you're in the need of cash-flow and have unbooked time.

I'd go ahead and edit out so future clients and REs etc. don't find it on the search engines and try to get you to discount your services.

Gotta do what you gotta do.

Regards,
    H.G.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Cantrell View Post
    Ok, I done it. What can I say, I need(ed) the money. $200 inspection for a 1k ft, no A/C, no heating system, water off, gas off,2 bed, 1 ba.
    I would not normally do one at this price, but I was sitting at the office with nothing to do execpt read IN. As fun as reading IN is, IT don't pay nuttin.
    Good for you! I did a $125 job today!

All I had to do was go and look at an attic to make sure the builder put in the insulation! Take a picture and email it to the lender so they could close the loan later this afternoon. I did it all with my iPhone so I had less than 30 min invested in it. Ya do what ya gotta do!

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Cheap, cheap, cheap.... said the little bird!

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Cantrell View Post

Enough said.

If you needed it, you don't have to justify it on here.

rick

A.D. Miller Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Raymond Wand View Post
    Cheap, cheap, cheap.... said the little bird!
    RW: Agreed. My wheels do not roll for less than $380. But then, necessity is a mother . . .

Aaron,

Maybe we should go into the CEU teaching business in the slow time of the year. Seemed like a gimmick to me for a few hrs. worth of work.

rick

A.D. Miller Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Hurst View Post
    Aaron,

Maybe we should go into the CEU teaching business in the slow time of the year. Seemed like a gimmick to me for a few hrs. worth of work.

rick
    RH: Problem is, none of the students would survive the experience.

" I did a $125 job today! ... I had less than 30 min invested in it."

Scott

' correct a wise man and you gain a friend... correct a fool and he'll bloody your nose'.

Heck, I used to do $7.00 mortgage occupancy inspections a few years ago.

I'd do about 20 of them in 2 hours on Saturday mornings while the wife was grocery shopping.

Drive up, snap a picture, down the road.

Gave me a good excuse not to go grocery shopping.

Did I mention I HATE shopping!

-

Erby Crofutt, Georgetown, KY - Read my Blog here: Erby the Central Kentucky Home Inspector B4 U Close Home Inspections www.b4uclose.com www.kentuckyradon.com
    Find on Facebook at: https://www.facebook.com/B4UCloseInspections

Don't feel too bad, there are plenty of guys around here that do them every day for $175. I am not one of them, but there are quite a few. I guess they are too scared to raise their prices.

I will admit though, I will do some work pretty cheap. There is a property management co, here that has hired me to do pre-listing inspections on about 100 homes they are going to sell over the next 6 months. They are always vacant, clean, and only a few years old. I can do them at my convienence so I just fit them in when I can. If someone cancels on me, I throw one in. Pretty sweet deal. I am doing these for a discount.

If it weren't for lawyers, we would never need them.

Spring City/Surrounding Philadelphia area

I received a mass e-mail from a property management/acquistion company yesterday that stated they needed inspectors. Out of curiosity, I replied to the e-mail with some questions of my own. For the princely sum of $75.00 per house, you are asked to use their form and upload pictures to their site. Here's the form copied and pasted below. I guess some guys are hungry and starving enough to work this cheap.

Information
    Property ID :
    Street # : Street Name :
    City : State :
    Zip :

Order Date : Completion Date :

Property Type : Single Family Number of Units : 1
    Lot Size (Sq. Feet) : 0.00 Property Condition : Good
    Permanently attached to foundation :
    Single Wide : Double Wide :
    Homes for sale on the same street : No
    Comparable to Others in Neighborhood : Yes
    Occupancy Information
    Property Security Status : Secured Occupancy Status : Vacant

Property Behind a Gate : No Gate manned by a guard :
    Lock Box Installed : Yes Lock Box Code : 3300
    Lock Box Location : front door Lock Box Functions & Keys Present : Yes

Card left to Call Mortgagor/Servicer : No
    Property Inspection Information
    Were you able to gain access to the interior of the property? : Yes-Lockbox Code
    Is there Personal Property in the house? : No
    Is there a "For Sale" sign posted in clear view from the street? : No
    Has the mailbox been cleared? : NA
    Are there informational flyers or advertisements present? : No
    Are all Porch/Patio/Walkways Free Of Newspapers And Flyers? : No
    Is the pool secure and safe from the possibility of falling in? : NA
    Is the garage area secure if applicable? : Yes
    Are any outbuildings or sheds secure (if applicable)? : NA
    What is the overall condition of the homes in the neighborhood? : Good

Subject Exterior Condition : Good Subject Interior Condition : Good
    Debris Present : No
    Front Yard Clear of Debris : Yes Back Yard Clear of Debris : Yes
    Driveway Clear of Snow : NA Walkway Clear of Snow : NA
    Lawn Maintained : NA Broken Windows : No

Are Shrubs Trimmed And Maintained? : Yes
    Roof Damaged Or Missing Shingles : No
    Gutters Missing Or Hanging Loose : No
    Are There Visible Cracks In The Foundation? : No
    Are Cement Areas And Fence Lines Free Of Yard Waste? : Yes
    Is Pool/Spa Area In Good Condition And Clean? : NA
    Are All Toilets Tubs And Sinks Thoroughly Cleaned? : Yes
    Is Antifreeze In All Toilets Sinks And Traps? : NA
    Are Winterization Tags On All Sinks/Tubs/Toilets/Tanks? : NA
    Are All Water Lines Free Of Water? : NA
    Is Water Meter Disconnected And Lines Capped? : NA
    Is The Interior Clear Of All Dust And Cobwebs? : Yes
    Are The Floors Swept And Mopped? : Yes
    Are The Counters And Ceiling Fans Clean And Dust Free? : Yes
    Are Windows/Ledges/Baseboards Free Of Dust/Dirt/Prints? : Yes
    Is Carpet Vacuumed Clean And Free Of Broken Glass? : Yes
    Are All Appliances Thoroughly Cleaned Inside And Out? : Yes
    Are All Cabinets And Closets Clean And Wiped Down? : Yes

Is The Fireplace Free Of Debris? : Yes Are Air Fresheners Present? : No
    Adverse environmental conditions : No Overall Property Condition : Good
    Comments
    Repairs Recommended
    Are critical repairs needed to the property? : No
    Are repairs in progress? : NA
    Would you recommend maintenance? : No
    What items require immediate or urgent attention?
    Property Condition Comments
    Utility Information
    Electric On : On inside house Electric Company Name : Nevada Power
    Electric Company Contact Number : (702) 402-5555 Deposit Amount if Required :

Water On : On inside house Water Company Name : Las Vegas Valley Water District
    Water Company Contact Number : (702) 870-4194 Deposit Amount if Required :

Gas On : On inside house Gas Company Name : Southwest Gas
    Gas Company Contact Number : (877) 860-6020 Deposit Amount if Required :

Comments
    HOA Information
    Property Part of a HOA : Yes HOA Name :
    HOA Contact Number : HOA Fee Amount :
    HOA Due Date :
    Code Violation Report
    Code Violation : No Citation Authority Name :
    Contact Information : Notice Date :
    Due Date :
    Violation Details
    Vacant Property Registration
    Is the property registered with the City? : No

That is not what I am doing. I got these because a Realtor I have known for many years is listing all these homes. I gave them a 20% discount off my regular price. No way would I do them for $75.

If it weren't for lawyers, we would never need them.

mathew stouffer Guest

I did an apartment for 225 on Wed. 700 sq ft. It was simple, 4 items in the report. Then I went and spent the money, on myself. Merry Christmas Mat

Quote Originally Posted by mathew stouffer View Post
    I did an apartment for 225 on Wed. 700 sq ft. It was simple, 4 items in the report. Then I went and spent the money, on myself. Merry Christmas Mat

Great story Matt. What did you get?

The whole 'what will you an inspection for' question is always a good one. We charge around $325 for small house.... a few bucks more if it's older than about 50 years. A 4000 sq ft newbie usually gets around 425 or 450.... truth be told I'd waaaaaaay rather due the new one for the same money but you just can't get first time buyers to pay what you feel it's worth.

Basically, if someone wants to call and play 'Bargainer Bob' I'm much more willing to play when it's a new place. Walking through a a newer house with some nice folks for a couple hundred bucks beats the hell out of watching it rain at home. By the same token..... I'd rather sit at home in a dark closet for three hours than go through some of the dump foreclosures out there.

mathew stouffer Guest

Went towards a snow blower.

What is a snow blower?

rick

Angry Re: $200 inspection

Got you all beat, agreed to do a 800 sq ft condo inside only for $150.00 if she paid by cash or check. I told her that I would not be able to get on the roof to check the AC and that I probably would not be able to gain access the heater because I have inspected the condos there before and they usually cover the access to the electric heaters above the ceilings in the bath. Sure enough the heater was covered by sealed trim and the AC was on the roof. I was doing the rest of the condo and her father tells her not to pay until she gets the results of the report. I tell him that we already agreed to the price and that the results did not matter that she agreed to pay me today. She then tells daddy that I could not check the AC or heater and he tells her " If he can't check those....what the hell are you paying him for?" So she then tells me she was not comfortable with my inspection and that I was rude to her father and " your service is no longer needed" I told her that she was a liar and I packed up and left. Got nothing, but pissed off and lost 1/4 tank of gas and 2 hrs time. What's a inspector to do?

A.D. Miller Guest

What is a snow blower?

rick
    RH: The Texas version.

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Mount View Post
    Got nothing, but pissed off and lost 1/4 tank of gas and 2 hrs time. What's a inspector to do?
    Get your agreements/contracts signed prior to showing up. Then take her to court!

(oh, and read the quote below)

Darren www.aboutthehouseinspections.com
    'Whizzing & pasting & pooting through the day (Ronnie helping Kenny helping burn his poots away!) (FZ)

mathew stouffer Guest

A.D. That is a great pic. I am going to use that for next years xmas card. Rick, a snow blower is extra time to ski and extended life expectancy for lower back I filed small claims yesterday for 7,930. Can't wait to see how it goes, this guy is a real scumbag. He will be served Tues evening. Merry xmas.

Got you all beat, agreed to do a 800 sq ft condo inside only for $150.00 if she paid by cash or check. I told her that I would not be able to get on the roof to check the AC and that I probably would not be able to gain access the heater because I have inspected the condos there before and they usually cover the access to the electric heaters above the ceilings in the bath. Sure enough the heater was covered by sealed trim and the AC was on the roof. I was doing the rest of the condo and her father tells her not to pay until she gets the results of the report. I tell him that we already agreed to the price and that the results did not matter that she agreed to pay me today. She then tells daddy that I could not check the AC or heater and he tells her " If he can't check those....what the hell are you paying him for?" So she then tells me she was not comfortable with my inspection and that I was rude to her father and " your service is no longer needed" I told her that she was a liar and I packed up and left. Got nothing, but pissed off and lost 1/4 tank of gas and 2 hrs time. What's a inspector to do?
    We've had similar things like that happen. The nice thing about working for a large inspection company is that the inspector will still get paid. As far as the company collecting the money...we'll report the non-payment to the credit bureaus. Good luck getting the mortgage.

MinnesotaHomeInspectors.com
    Minnesota Home Inspectors LLC
    ASHI #242887 mnradontesting.com

I've said it before and I'll say it again. If Dads or Grandfathers show up there will be an upcharge of a minimum of 100.00

You'll spend more time on the inspection and have grief as you have said.

My last father that showed up tried the same crap, but I let him know real quick that sh*# would not fly with me.

He mouthed off long enough and then I had to come back at him. I told him if his little girl was so precious then why the he77 was he allowing her to move in a 900 sq.ft. overpriced condo in the first place. If he cared anything about her or her finances, he'd be helping her buy that nice home with the white picket fence.

He called me a SOB and drove off in his Mecedes.

(2) weeks latter his wife called me to reschedule another inspection due to the problems at the condo.

Wow, what a nice home the second place turned out to be. Only things missing was the white picket fence and dear old dad.

rick

mathew stouffer Guest

Ken, drag her ass to small claims to teach her a lession. Do you have any emails or phone records.

I wouldn't bother with it. Not worth the effort in going to court for such a small amount.
    I have a clause in my contract that I can terminate the job any time I see fit. I guess I could be fired at any time too.

If you would have taken payment, and given them a report, you can bet that they would be coming back at you for a zillion things. It doesn't matter if you covered everything in your report. They will still bug the crap out of you, all for the sum of $150.

You are better off not doing the job for them.

Mark Aakjar Guest

I've said it before and I'll say it again. If Dads or Grandfathers show up there will be an upcharge of a minimum of 100.00

You'll spend more time on the inspection and have grief as you have said.

My last father that showed up tried the same crap, but I let him know real quick that sh*# would not fly with me.

He mouthed off long enough and then I had to come back at him. I told him if his little girl was so precious then why the he77 was he allowing her to move in a 900 sq.ft. overpriced condo in the first place. If he cared anything about her or her finances, he'd be helping her buy that nice home with the white picket fence.

He called me a SOB and drove off in his Mecedes.

(2) weeks latter his wife called me to reschedule another inspection due to the problems at the condo.

Wow, what a nice home the second place turned out to be. Only things missing was the white picket fence and dear old dad.

rick
    This story brought a tear to my eye :'-)