Default Brick overhang at chimney

Maybe I should attach the picture for you to look at...sorry about that. Here we go again. Any brick masons out there? I'm wondering what you make of this brick installation around a metal flue type chimney. I've seen some overhang before but not to this extent. I'm wondering why it was done this way (i.e. framed improperly) and what if any comment would be appropriate. Thank you.

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Last edited by Rod Figueroa; 12-18-2009 at 04:51 AM. Reason: added picture
    OREP Insurance

Default Re: Brick overhang at chimney

Rod,

You will have better luck having only one thread with your question.

"Baseball is like church. Many attend but few understand." Leo Durocher
    Bruce Breedlove
    www.avaloninspection.com

I forgot to include the picture with the first post. How do you delete a post once you have submitted it?

thanks

chris mcintyre Guest

I learned the hard way that brick and mortar keeps water out almost as good as a screen door, so there should be flashing against the chase. The brick is not supported and this will become a problem, also doesn't appear to be a cricket.

How old is the chimney? Looks new.

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Figueroa View Post
    I forgot to include the picture with the first post. How do you delete a post once you have submitted it?
    You could have either:

1) edited your post to include the photo

or

2) respond to your post and include the photo in the reply

"Baseball is like church. Many attend but few understand." Leo Durocher
    Bruce Breedlove
    www.avaloninspection.com

Makes one wonder what to heck is supporting that brick ...

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Spring City/Surrounding Philadelphia area

If I saw that slop, here is what I would say in my report...........

Improper and unprofessional installation/modification of masonry chimmey structure - have serviced by a masonry chimney professional and all repairs/replacements made as needed

Snowbird (this means I'm retired and migrate between locations), FL/MI

Is this supposed to be new construction? Because it doesn't look it to me.

Looks more like some idiot roofers tore off and tore out all the step flashing, likely tearing out the facing brick along with it. I see broken brick as well, and from the looks of it some sorry excuse for repair/repointing above the missing brick.

Then bootlegged this mess up there and roofed into the zone.

See a nice accumulation of dried leaves up under the bricks too.

See void in mortar and a chunk of brick missing at the corner indicating there was similar destruction on the peak side.

The house is less than a year old. This was one of three chimneys. The others were properly done. There was a cricket on the rear of the chimney.

Was there leaking inside of the attic area? I would be amazed if you didn't see some moisture damage in there.

Michael Carson
    Inspect It Right Home Inspections L.L.C.
    www.inspectitrighthomeinspection.com

Now I'm curious because I'm seeing flat shingling on the peak side - I'd like to see this cricket.

Whats under the roof deck here? accessible attic space or a vaulted ceiling - pictures please.

There was a cricket on the rear of the chimney.
    Quote Originally Posted by H.G. Watson, Sr. View Post
    Now I'm curious because I'm seeing flat shingling on the peak side - I'd like to see this cricket.

I can 'see' where there could be a cricket on the back side of that chimney because the angle of the photo blocks enough so as a regular cricket would not be seen from that angle, and the shingles above the cricket would look the same as those in the photo.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    I can 'see' where there could be a cricket on the back side of that chimney because the angle of the photo blocks enough so as a regular cricket would not be seen from that angle, and the shingles above the cricket would look the same as those in the photo.

Yes, but...

See void in mortar and a chunk of brick missing at the corner indicating there was similar destruction on the peak side.
    Which is why I want to see, as well as the under the roof deck.

What I see at the corner is the back side of the cricket flashing at the corner, which should be wrapped around the corner, and may be ... only (like everything else) ... wrapped around the corner incorrectly.

The brick was cut/whacked off like that when it was laid, as can be seen by the mortar coming down through the holes in the hollow brick.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

What I see is a flashing CF! Some one thought they could make a step and counter flashing out of one piece of metal. See the cuts at the bottom of each shingle. Then they thought they would counter sink the whole thing into the chimney brick. Cut a little at the top brick with angle grinder and then chopped the rest out with a chisel. See the mortar that was between brick at the top. The head flashing looked funny on top of the first shingle so just bent it up out of the way. Pretty good huh! If it hasn't leaked its because it hasn't rained!

Quote Originally Posted by Vern Heiler View Post
    What I see is a flashing CF! Some one thought they could make a step and counter flashing out of one piece of metal. See the cuts at the bottom of each shingle. Then they thought they would counter sink the whole thing into the chimney brick. Cut a little at the top brick with angle grinder and then chopped the rest out with a chisel. See the mortar that was between brick at the top. The head flashing looked funny on top of the first shingle so just bent it up out of the way. Pretty good huh! If it hasn't leaked its because it hasn't rained!
    I agree with your analysis, especially the brick having been hacked away by the idotic roofers, I also see caulk and adhesive. FUBAR it is.

I added a picture to get more of a macro view. The only brick issue is at the one corner. The step flashing is standard step flashing. The counter flashing was added over the top. I think the framing was improperly done and the brick mason (loosely applied term in this instance) tried to work with what he had to square it up. Anyway, I already wrote the report and I appreciate the input. It's great to be able to get multiple eyes seeing an issue and commenting.

I would guess, from the second picture, it almost looks as if they've extended or added that front corner, perhaps a change in design during initial construction ?

Joe Klampfer RHI
    www.myinspection.ca
    Pacific Home Inspections

Cool Re: Brick overhang at chimney

Somebody forgot to flash the chimney so our hero hacked a huge gash into the side of the chimney and scabbed some in. Real hack job. Probably needs to tear down the whole thring below the roof and try again.

Curious as to the termination and how they flashed it. What make and model fireplace?

Cricket and pointing also stink.
    Real mess.

Bob

Keep the fire in the fireplace.

My first thought was, "what the heck???"

Actually, that's probably what I'd say in the report too.

(ok that was a joke - please don't trash me)

Bruce Thompson, Lic. #9199
    www.TylerHomeInspector.com
    Home Inspections in the Tyler and East Texas area

I disagree that the bricks were removed to allow for installation of missing flashing. Why wouldn't they just have cut a groove into the brick?

It looks more like a brink veneer was installed over the existing chimney, for whatever reason. The bottom bricks were obviously sawcut before they were installed, but they couldn't even get the slope correct. The slope varies on adjacent bricks. I'd be concerned about what's underneath.

Peter Wigle Guest

I think the masons had to deal with a hole in the roof which wasn't square. Maybe there is a truss/rafter right underneath that portion where the brick has been cut away. Perhaps its even stranger: the roofers were scheduled for Thursday and couldn't come back until two weeks later but the masons hadn't finished the chimney yet. So the roofers shingled up the hole, installing the (pseudo) step flashing, then added the cricket and other flashing later.

David Bell Guest

Maybe I should attach the picture for you to look at...sorry about that. Here we go again. Any brick masons out there? I'm wondering what you make of this brick installation around a metal flue type chimney. I've seen some overhang before but not to this extent. I'm wondering why it was done this way (i.e. framed improperly) and what if any comment would be appropriate. Thank you.
    Looking at the way it was done I would guess that the original siding of the chimney was the same as the house, The owner or, the builder decided it should look like the other chimneys and had the mason install this"veneer" over what was there. That would explain the flashing