Default Service wire connections

The overhead service connection at this house has multiple splices. It appears that the original splice was with tape wrapped over mechanical lugs, but with a recent panel change, standard wires nuts were used at the new connection.

Are wire nuts allowed as a connection to service wires?

Also, can you have multiple splices at the service connection?

Just what are the rules for approved connections to the service wires?

Thanks

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    OREP Insurance

Default Re: Service wire connections

Ken you can be pretty sure the power co. did not do that. With that in mind ask for proof of permited panel replacement.

A.D. Miller Guest

I suspect what you are looking fore can be found in NEC 110.14(B) and/or UL 486A-486B.

Aaron,

Got it!!
    NEC section has all the info I need.

Many Thanks!

Ken, would you please share how 110.14(B) could be used to disqualify that usage?

I would think that 110.14 would be more applicable especially if you have dissimilar metal conductor types.

Jim,

I see what you are saying.

I just found the information I was looking for in Section 110.14 "Electrical Connections" and started reading. I didn't pay much attention to the sub-paragraph numbering. As long as I got my answer I was happy.

First we need to decide : are these part of the service drop / laterals ?
    If so , Is this part of the electric utilities exclusive control ?

In other words is any one allowed to work on this connection (legally),or MUST it be someone from the Power Company ?

If it only allowed to be worked on by the utility, then the only part of the NEC that would apply is Article 90.2(B)(5)

Article 90.2 explains what is and what is not covered by the NEC
    Article 90.2(B) is whats Not covered
    article 90.2 (B)(5) states:

(5) Installations under the exclusive control of an electric utility where such installations

a. Consist of service drops or service laterals, and associated metering, or

b. Are located in legally established easements or rights-of-way designated by or recognized by public service commissions, utility commissions, or other regulatory agencies having jurisdiction for such installations, or

c. Are on property owned or leased by the electric utility for the purpose of communications, metering, generation, control, transformation, transmission, or distribution of electric energy.

No matter how wrong or how nasty , if it is the utilities cables and connection points, you can not apply the NEC to it.

In other words legally you can not state the connections are aganist the code or a code violation as the code does not cover them.

You can say it doesn't appear to be a connection approved by the electrical utility

Last edited by ken horak; 12-19-2009 at 08:58 AM.