chris mcintyre Guest

Default 30 day water damage

This house is part of an estate, it is a long story, but is basically a dispute among family members.

The ceiling was supposedly fine 30 to 45 days ago, this is what it looks like now. I was asked if it could get this bad in 30 days, I said I didn't know (I am trying to stay out of the family feud).

It looks to me as if this has been leaking for a while, but just wanted to get some other opinions.

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Crawl Space Creeper

Default Re: 30 day water damage

It looks like it has been leaking for much longer than 45 days, but may have only appeared in the last 45 days.

' correct a wise man and you gain a friend... correct a fool and he'll bloody your nose'.

The "ceiling" may have looked OK previously (although I doubt it), but that roof leak is much older than 30 days.

Ron Bibler Guest

From what I can see in the limited view of the photo it looks like you have a fungus infection on the bottom of that rafter. did you poke any of this framing ? was anything soft ? aside from that I with Dom and Rick. this is at least a year old.

Best

Ron
    Santa Rosa California Home Inspection - Exterminating & Thermal Imaging
    SANTA ROSA PEST CONTROL .COM

Some one has painted the ceiling water stains (probably Kilz) at some time in the past in a smaller area and then it leaked again. This may be one of those leaks that only gets through to the ceiling if the wind is out of a certain direction or a certain rate. Looks to me like it has happened more than once but it does not appear to have the "tree ring" effect that would indicate it happens repeatedly on a more consistent basis.
    The roof decking and rafters looks long term.

Jim Luttrall
    www.MrInspector.net
    Plano, Texas

chris mcintyre Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Bibler View Post
    From what I can see in the limited view of the photo it looks like you have a fungus infection on the bottom of that rafter. did you poke any of this framing ? was anything soft ? aside from that I with Dom and Rick. this is at least a year old.

Best

Ron
    Santa Rosa California Home Inspection - Exterminating & Thermal Imaging
    SANTA ROSA PEST CONTROL .COM
    Ron,
    Here is another picture, and yes, something is growing.

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Last edited by chris mcintyre; 12-19-2009 at 08:34 PM.

chris mcintyre Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Luttrall View Post
    This may be one of those leaks that only gets through to the ceiling if the wind is out of a certain direction or a certain rate.
    Jim,
    Good point, the roof pitch is 3/12 so the valley's are less than that. It was/is leaking in both valley's. (I posted the picture that showed the worst leak)

Ron Bibler Guest

A year or more... Fungus infection.

Best

Ron

It takes a while for the leak to soak through the insulation, then the water can sit on the plastic vapor barrier and evaporate without staining the ceiling. That could go on for a long time before you'd see the stain inside. That ceiling stain looks like it would have been visible, but it was dry then so maybe less noticeable.
    Just some ideas to help you stay neutral. []

I'd say several years. Just curious, how often has it rained in your area in the last 45 days?

Robert Pike Guest

Chris,
    The leak has been going on for sometime. Wood rot and fungus noted. I concur with the others - sometimes it will take a while to stain the ceiling below. It does appear that the ceiling was touched-up before. I would consider it a major concern .

chris mcintyre Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Frederickson View Post
    I'd say several years. Just curious, how often has it rained in your area in the last 45 days?
    Found out today that the roof was replace 5 years ago. I now believe from what I have seen, and the post here (thanks), that it has been leaking since the replacement, like Jim said earlier, not all the time but when the conditions are right.

We have had a lot of heavy rain in the last 2 months, so it all starts to make sense. The roofing install was a cluster ....., ummmm.......mess.