Default Re: surface-mounted lamp cordextension wiring

Are you asking about a lamp cord attached to a baseboard?

If so it is incorrect. It should not be used as a substitute for permanent wiring.

Has Ritchie highway cleared up yet?

Snowbird (this means I'm retired and migrate between locations), FL/MI

What does your question pertain to? A chain & hook supported plug-in lamp (such as was very popular in the 50s, 60s and 70s)? A pendant lamp cable, low voltage cable for cabinet lights (such as "hockey pucks")?, rewiring a chandellier (internally or its supply cord)? Replacing a lamp cord/rewiring a lamp? Or something else completely?

What is supposed to be surface mounted, the cord or the lamp itself? Cord & plug supplied or what?

Point being the context your finding this statement and how it is applied might afford a helpful answer.

Extension cords are not a substitute for permanent (system) wiring.

A.D. Miller Guest

Quote Originally Posted by biglebowski View Post
    what is surface-mounted lamp cordextension wiring?
    BB: Multiple code violations.

Quote Originally Posted by H.G. Watson, Sr. View Post
    What does your question pertain to? A chain & hook supported plug-in lamp (such as was very popular in the 50s, 60s and 70s)? A pendant lamp cable, low voltage cable for cabinet lights (such as "hockey pucks")?, rewiring a chandellier (internally or its supply cord)? Replacing a lamp cord/rewiring a lamp? Or something else completely?

What is supposed to be surface mounted, the cord or the lamp itself? Cord & plug supplied or what?

Point being the context your finding this statement and how it is applied might afford a helpful answer.

Extension cords are not a substitute for permanent (system) wiring.
    i found it here while i was snowed in and just doing some learning and i wasn't really sure what it was referring to. Your questions were basically what i was wondering too.

Evaluating your home's wiring system

this is the paragraph toward the very end:

A visualinspection of insulation on accessible circuits will usually determine whether additional tests should be performed by an electrician. Look for unprotectedwire runs through ducts and other inappropriate areas. Inspect for evidence of"handyman tampering" (e.g., unconventional splices), and if found in onelocation, expect it to be more widespread. Check for surface-mounted lamp cordextension wiring. It is dangerous and must be removed. It is best to remove allunused wiring or wiring that will be abandoned during rehabilitation work toavoid future confusion or misuse.

so is it just referring to extension cords used as permanent wiring?

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Port View Post
    Are you asking about a lamp cord attached to a baseboard?

If so it is incorrect. It should not be used as a substitute for permanent wiring.

Has Ritchie highway cleared up yet?
    actually i just dug my truck out today and i havent ventured too far. I heard its fine but could get icy tonight. Most neighborhoods haven't even been plowed yet. We're gonna be excluding alot of roofs and grounds for awhile i believe...

Quote Originally Posted by biglebowski View Post
    so is it just referring to extension cords used as permanent wiring?
    Sounds like it.

"There is no exception to the rule that every rule has an exception." -James Thurber, writer and cartoonist (1894-1961)
    www.ArnoldHomeInspections.com

Snowbird (this means I'm retired and migrate between locations), FL/MI

Seems that entire paragraph is referring to beyond useful life, unsafe, and unconventional & unsafe adaptations to an electrical system.

Something like this. The carpet tack adds a touch of excitement to an otherwise dingy basement suite.

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images