JD Weekley Guest

Default New, and also from Northeast Ohio.

Hello all,

I've been perusing your forum for some time now and finally joined to see attached files etc. I can't believe the wealth of information and expertise here, this site is a tremendously valuable resource.

Let first me say, I'm not an inspector and I really can't offer much to the forum. I merely own rental property and am mostly here learning from all of you about what I should be looking for in previous work on the properties as well as future work to be performed.

I'm experienced in many areas of residential construction. But, try to know my limitations of knowledge and when to call in the appropriate expert authority to get work done properly. Your information here is adding to that knowledge of my limitations to say the least.

Our area is composed of mostly homes from the late 1800's and there's a lot to do. Knowing when and who to turn to in order to accomplish it competently and to code is paramount. Much knowledge to be gained here.

Again, sincere thanks for having such a great forum, and I look forward to being here reading.

Warmest wishes for a great holiday season to all of you.

Respectfully
    John

Similar Threads:
    OREP Insurance

A.D. Miller Guest

Default Re: New, and also from Northeast Ohio.

JD: Welcome. Don't let the fact you aren't an inspector stop you from chiming in. Many of these guys aren't really inspectors either . . .

Quote Originally Posted by A.D. Miller View Post
    JD: Many of these guys aren't really inspectors either . . .
    A.D. I take that as an insult.
    Even I didn't know a thing about being an inspector, a few years ago I paid a guy on the internet XXXX$ to market me the public as a Certified Home Inspector.
    Now a days that same guy takes anybodys $$s and he give them the title of a Certified Professional Inspector

Phoenix AZ Resale Home, Mobile Home, New Home Warranty Inspections. ASHI Certified Inspector #206929 Arizona Certified Inspector # 38440
    www.inspectaz.com

JD Weekley Guest

Thanks much for the welcome

I'm sure I'll chime here and there, even if only to ask something to be more clear on something Been reading for hours here.

A.D. Miller Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Harris View Post
    A.D. I take that as an insult.
    Even I didn't know a thing about being an inspector, a few years ago I paid a guy on the internet XXXX$ to market me the public as a Certified Home Inspector.
    Now a days that same guy takes anybodys $$s and he give them the title of a Certified Professional Inspector
    DH: You mean Nick?

DH: You mean Nick?
    Yea.. To this day I'm embarased to admit that I bought into the fancy certified gimmick. Heck I even believed that I was not one of those blind inspectors, and really believed I knew more than everyone here, after I passed the online quiz, and got that special cert. with the special gold label.

I figured if I didn't name any names Lisa would not have to come here and try to convince me the only way I can survive in this business is by sending $s to Nick for his FREE beginner on-line courses.

Last edited by Dan Harris; 12-21-2009 at 07:42 AM.
    Phoenix AZ Resale Home, Mobile Home, New Home Warranty Inspections. ASHI Certified Inspector #206929 Arizona Certified Inspector # 38440
    www.inspectaz.com

A.D. Miller Guest

Yea.. To this day I'm embarased to admit that I bought into the fancy certified gimmick. Heck I even believed that I was not one of those blind inspectors, and really believed I knew more than everyone here, after I passed the online quiz, and got that special cert. with the special gold label.

I figured if I didn't name any names Lisa would not have to come here and try to convince me the only way I can survive in this business is by sending $s to Nick for his FREE beginner on-line courses.
    Since he's a newly wed I noticed he's been a little quiter, and figured he has better things to do than keep us in line 24/7
    DH: Like him or not, his is the 800-lb. gorilla and the future of the HI profession. That is, of course, unless the jaded and anachronistic ASHI and NAHI follow his lead. They might even (god forbid) become creative.

Don't hold your breath.

DH: Like him or not, his is the 800-lb. gorilla and the future of the HI profession. That is, of course, unless the jaded and anachronistic ASHI and NAHI follow his lead. They might even (god forbid) become creative.

Don't hold your breath.
    He may be the 800 lb gorilla for newbys and inspectors that think taking beginners online courses to meet a states min ce requirement are going to help them in the real world.
    There is still nothing that beats a great site like this one, and local ce where inspectors can get together and discuss what's happening in the real world.
    I have yet to see him offer anything worth while for an inspector that's got beyond the basic HI training

www.inspectaz.com

A.D. Miller Guest

He may be the 800 lb gorilla for newbys and inspectors that think taking beginners online courses to meet a states min ce requirement are going to help them in the real world.
    There is still nothing that beats a great site like this one, and local ce where inspectors can get together and discuss what's happening in the real world.
    I have yet to see him offer anything worth while for an inspector that's got beyond the basic HI training
    DH: Nick has proven himself to be a very savvy marketer, something that ASHI and NAHI do not possess. Regardless what value your service may provide, if it is not properly and aggressively marketed, it will not flourish.

While it may be true that INACHI's current appeal is primarily to the neophytes, please remember that Nick has not been at this nearly as long as the old, stodgy organizations that have atrophied from a near total lack of inspiration and forward thinking. By the way, that appeal is slowly spreading beyond the tyros to the old pros.

Do you really think that ASHI would have pursued the (rather lame, in my opinion) route of "certified certification" had it not been from the pressure being exerted by Nick and firends? And, just for grins, let me ask you this: who certifies the certification certifying agency? Think about it. How much bull$it is involved in that whole process? It is v-e-r-y deep.

While I may not agree with Nick's slicker-than-slick image and often below-the-belt tactics, I do admire his chutzpah. Said another way, if I were in a fight, I would rather have this guy on my side than against me. And I would rather have someone with balls working with me than a battalion of the perennial, hoary-headed wannabes who populate the upper echelons of the old guard.

So, yes, many things about Nick and crew could be better. That can be said about anyone. There are also many things about this group that one could emulate. In fact, ASHI and NAHI may survive only through such emulation.

DH: Nick has proven himself to be a very savvy marketer, something that ASHI and NAHI do not possess. Regardless what value your service may provide, if it is not properly and aggressively marketed, it will not flourish.

While it may be true that INACHI's current appeal is primarily to the neophytes, please remember that Nick has not been at this nearly as long as the old, stodgy organizations that have atrophied from a near total lack of inspiration and forward thinking. By the way, that appeal is slowly spreading beyond the tyros to the old pros.

Do you really think that ASHI would have pursued the (rather lame, in my opinion) route of "certified certification" had it not been from the pressure being exerted by Nick and firends? And, just for grins, let me ask you this: who certifies the certification certifying agency? Think about it. How much bull$it is involved in that whole process? It is v-e-r-y deep.

While I may not agree with Nick's slicker-than-slick image and often below-the-belt tactics, I do admire his chutzpah. Said another way, if I were in a fight, I would rather have this guy on my side than against me. And I would rather have someone with balls working with me than a battalion of the perennial, hoary-headed wannabes who populate the upper echelons of the old guard.

So, yes, many things about Nick and crew could be better. That can be said about anyone. There are also many things about this group that one could emulate. In fact, ASHI and NAHI may survive only through such emulation.
    A.D. Honestly I am humored by the actions of members from both orgs.
    ASHI members are saying wow look what nicki is doing.
    NACHO members are crying the blues, claiming the only way they can get work is by being an ASHI member.
    To top it off, ole nicki trys to keep his members from joing ASHI by coming up with the policy, if his members join ASHI they are out of NACHO.

www.inspectaz.com

chris mcintyre Guest

Ummmm...........Welcome JD?