Default County Building Inspectors Sued

Here is an article from the Knoxville News Sentinel

A Knoxville attorney who regularly lobbies Knox County Commission on behalf of real estate developers is now suing the county over what he claims was a faked building inspection report.

Arthur F. Knight III and his wife, Wendi H. Knight, have filed a federal lawsuit against Knox County and three codes enforcement employees — supervisors Roy Braden and Randy Lilly and inspector Marjie Nelson. Attorney Ron C. Newcomb is representing the Knights in the lawsuit.

The Knights contend in the lawsuit that Nelson cooked up an inspection report on a house the Knights had constructed on Hard Rock Way, claiming she had inspected the property Dec. 22, 2008, on the eve of the couple's closing on the loan.

'Yet, on (that) date … Mrs. Knight, their four children, Mrs. Knight's parents and a dog owned by the Knights were at the residence,' the lawsuit states. 'At no time did defendant Nelson, anyone from the Knox County Department of Code Administration and Inspection Office, anyone employed by Knox County or anyone else show up to even visit the residence, much less conduct even a cursory inspection.'

Knox County Deputy Law Director Joe Jarret said he had not yet seen the lawsuit and could not comment on the allegations. The law director's office is tasked with representing the county in civil lawsuits.

Arthur Knight is a well-known Knoxville attorney who frequently lobbies county officials on behalf of real estate developers.

According to the lawsuit, the Knights hired S & S Builders, a Knoxville firm, to build the house at issue in the lawsuit. In December 2008, Nelson issued to S & S Builders a certificate of occupancy certifying the house met all county codes.

Although the lawsuit accuses Nelson of 'conspiring' with the builders to issue a certificate without having inspected the house, the firm is not named as a defendant in the lawsuit.

After the couple closed the loan, they allege in the lawsuit that they learned the house and property had major 'deficiencies' including faulty wiring that left exposed live wires within inches of standing water.

The Knights repeatedly contacted the codes office but allege in the lawsuit Braden and Lilly did not respond to their complaints. The couple ultimately hired other firms to correct the problems they detailed in the lawsuit.

The lawsuit does not list a specific monetary damage sought. The Knights are demanding a jury trial.

Jamie Satterfield may be reached at 865-342-6308.

© 2009, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

I'm guessing the inspector just put the wrong date on the form. What's interesting is the electrical is inspected by the State, and not by the County. Of course, the other side is, I do find things on new homes that have already been passed by the inspectors. But as far as them being in the builders pockets, I really doubt that. I know both the Officials well, and they have worked hard to get away from that "good ol boy" stuff.