Ron Bibler Guest

Default $30.K Damage Moud problem

OK Got question for you... I completed an inspection some 8 months back advised the buyer in my report.
    1. Correct all Mold/moisture problems on the interior Sheetrock and exterior old hard stucco walls.
    2. Trim up the bottom of the stucco as it was going past the grade and below into the dirt.
    3. Correct areas of the exterior concrete flat work adjacent to home as it was directing rain water and pooling adjacent to the home.
    4. Open and expose all areas of the interior and exterior walls for further inspection.
    5. Correct rain Gutters.
    6. Correct Interior hard wood flooring over Concrete slab flooring areas noted cupping with moisture condition.
    7. correct AL. windows and adjacent walls. (water stains/Moisture)

There was more items that needed correction or repairs and further inspection listed in my report.
    As all condition were extending into inaccessible areas.

So they buy the home and put a renter in it. Then 40 days ago they got a call from the tenant saying the walls have mold. Now the renters are out and a mold company is opening Walls.

They never corrected any of the work I lay-ed out in my report. Then I get this phone call from the agent the other day saying they have $ 30 K of Mold in the walls and it looks like there is no end to it.

I think my question is not so much as do I have a problem but how to explain to people that they need to do the work in these inspection reports.
    Over past 30year of inspecting I have had very few calls like this where people buy homes and never do the work in the report then after they close escrow they find out that the cost to fix things may have no end.

How would you go about explaining this to these people?

I know what I'm going to say to them just wanted your in put on handling people. or any other ideas on this...

Best

Ron

Similar Threads:
    Member Benefits1

Default Re: $30.K Damage Moud problem

hey ron

merry christmas

in your report did you advise having a mold expert/technician/licenced evaluate the mold like substance on interior or exterior. that is something i always state in my report. that way if they don't follow your findingd then what can you do. you can lead that old horse to water, but you can't make him drink. sounds like a slum lord and take that you renter.

charlie

chris mcintyre Guest

Ron,
    RE agents call me often for repair estimates and say " Don't spend to much time on the estimate, the client is not going to have the repairs done, they need the estimate so they can get a price reduction."

You have addressed the problems (in writing) and that is all you can do. Unfortunately looks like you will have to waste your time and possible some money to prove that the buyer is a dumba$$.

Ron Bibler Guest

Quote Originally Posted by CHARLIE VAN FLEET View Post
    hey ron

merry christmas

in your report did you advise having a mold expert/technician/licenced evaluate the mold like substance on interior or exterior. that is something i always state in my report. that way if they don't follow your findingd then what can you do. you can lead that old horse to water, but you can't make him drink. sounds like a slum lord and take that you renter.

charlie
    I should point out this inspection was not a HI Report but a CA. WDO-Termite Inspection report. Mold problems are not part of our inspection. just moisture ID.

Best

Ron

I know of no cure for stupidity! I would direct the owner and agent to this site and thread. I bet we could help them top understand...

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Default Re: $30.K Damage Mould problem

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Bibler View Post
    How would you go about explaining this to these people?
    Ask them if they read the report.

If they say "No.", ask them why not, then tell them they could have prevented this mess if they had.

If they say "Yes.", ask them if they had the work done, and when they say "No.", ask them why not, and then tell them they could have prevented this mess if they had.

If they say "Yes." they read it, and "Yes." they had the work done, then I would ask the to call the contractor who said they did it and find out what was really done, because if the contractor had done what was in the report ... they could have prevented this mess ... (sound like a broken record? because it is) ...

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Ron Bibler Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    Ask them if they read the report.

If they say "No.", ask them why not, then tell them they could have prevented this mess if they had.

If they say "Yes.", ask them if they had the work done, and when they say "No.", ask them why not, and then tell them they could have prevented this mess if they had.

If they say "Yes." they read it, and "Yes." they had the work done, then I would ask the to call the contractor who said they did it and find out what was really done, because if the contractor had done what was in the report ... they could have prevented this mess ... (sound like a broken record? because it is) ...
    Jerry Thats what I was going to say...

I'm going to add this to all my WDO report and every email from now on. You posted this sometime back Jerry I put it on every page of my HI reports.

( Always get estimates and have all work completed by competent, licensed, insured, and bonded professional contractors. All repairs should strictly adhere to Manufacture Installation Specifications, National, State, Local codes, and the Authority having Jurisdiction.
    All work should be completed, inspected and certified before you close escrow.

Best

Ron

A.D. Miller Guest

We strongly urge you to get estimates and have all work completed by competent, licensed, insured, and bonded professional contractors. All repairs shall strictly adhere to Manufacturers' Installation Specifications, National, State, Local codes, and the Authority having Jurisdiction.

We strongly urge that all required work shall be completed, inspected and certified before you close escrow.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Bibler View Post
    Always get estimates and have all work completed by competent, licensed, insured, and bonded professional contractors. All repairs should strictly adhere to Manufacture Installation Specifications, National, State, Local codes, and the Authority having Jurisdiction.
    All work should be completed, inspected and certified before you close escrow.
    Quote Originally Posted by A.D. Miller View Post
    We strongly urge you to get estimates and have all work completed by competent, licensed, insured, and bonded professional contractors. All repairs shall strictly adhere to Manufacturers' Installation Specifications, National, State, Local codes, and the Authority having Jurisdiction.

We strongly urge that all required work shall be completed, inspected and certified before you close escrow.
    "ALWAYS GET" is much better than "We strongly urge you to get ... ".

"ALL WORK SHOULD" is much better than "We strongly urge that all required work shall ... ".

Along with "We strongly urge .. " comes the other inferred option of " ... but, if you do not, that's okay too.", whereas "ALWAYS GET" and "ALL WORK SHOULD" does not give an inferred option to do otherwise.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

A.D. Miller Guest

"ALWAYS GET" is much better than "We strongly urge you to get ... ".
    JP: Not according to my attorney and that of my insurance company.

"ALL WORK SHOULD" is much better than "We strongly urge that all required work shall ... ".
    JP: Ditto.

Along with "We strongly urge .. " comes the other inferred option of " ... but, if you do not, that's okay too.", whereas "ALWAYS GET" and "ALL WORK SHOULD" does not give an inferred option to do otherwise.
    JP: You will not tempt me to revisit the subject of the mandative subjunctives, as you seem to have no grasp of them.

Inference, whether based on reason or the lack thereof, is always an option.

Ron Bibler Guest

I ask the wife on this subject ( "ALWAYS GET" )

Her take was ("ALWAYS OBTAIN") I'm going with the Wife... L.O.L.

Best

Ron

A.D. Miller Guest

I'm going with the Wife...
    RB: Wise man.

Post Re: $30.K Damage Moud problem

It may be an eye-opener for you to review case law on situations exactly like the one you are asking about. Did they sign a home inspection waiver for you? Do you have evidence that the clients were fully cognizant that this was not a home inspection? Study up on it. I pray it doesn't get ugly.

Randall Aldering GHI BAOM MSM
    Housesmithe Inspection
    www.housesmithe.com