Thread: exam help

carlson Guest

Default exam help

looking to take the home inspection exam and am very nervous. I am a residential builder in michigan and have been for many years. Is the exam as hard as they make it out to be or am i getting all worked up for nothing?

Similar Threads:
    Crawl Space Creeper

Default Re: exam help

Quote Originally Posted by carlson View Post
    looking to take the home inspection exam and am very nervous. I am a residential builder in michigan and have been for many years. Is the exam as hard as they make it out to be or am i getting all worked up for nothing?
    It depends. Are you a good builder that knows and apply all the codes/ building requirements, mfg. installation specs, or are you of those builders that ignor those minor things to collect that final draw?

Phoenix AZ Resale Home, Mobile Home, New Home Warranty Inspections. ASHI Certified Inspector #206929 Arizona Certified Inspector # 38440
    www.inspectaz.com

carlson Guest

I always check and follow code and the local code inspector is pushing me to take the test. I am good with building codes but have limited knowledge of hvac systems

I always check and follow code and the local code inspector is pushing me to take the test. I am good with building codes but have limited knowledge of hvac systems

You may be able to wing it with your experience. Winging it may help you past the test, you will find once your in the field inspecting is where any additional training will set you apart from the guys that wing it.
    Knowing and admitting your weak points is a good start. You will find that our job is locating and properly identifing defects.
    If you need some partial or even full inspection training, check with Casey, O'Malley Associates , an advertizer here, their inspection training, knowledge, and support is top notch, with out any pressure to pay them a membership fee.
    They have been around for a long time formally with ITA.

Last edited by Dan Harris; 12-29-2009 at 10:38 AM.
    Phoenix AZ Resale Home, Mobile Home, New Home Warranty Inspections. ASHI Certified Inspector #206929 Arizona Certified Inspector # 38440
    www.inspectaz.com

carlson Guest

where do I find this casey omalley? new to site today. I do alot of remodeling of old homes and have see many different problems and have always looked up the proper way to fix them if I was unfamiliar. in the practice tests ive taken I see most of the construction questions seem standard but they ask alot about swimming pools and clearances. is this a large part of the exam?

where do I find this casey omalley? new to site today. I do alot of remodeling of old homes and have see many different problems and have always looked up the proper way to fix them if I was unfamiliar. in the practice tests ive taken I see most of the construction questions seem standard but they ask alot about swimming pools and clearances. is this a large part of the exam?
    Home Commercial Inspection Education Training Schools Classes Licensing Consultants

It's been 8 yrs since I took the exam, I don't believe there were a lot of pool questions. The exam does change from one person to another, and does get changed every few years.

www.inspectaz.com

carlson Guest

thanks dan for the link I will check it out, looks informative.

What exam are you talking about?

If it is National Home Inspector Examination - The Examination Board of Professional Home Inspectors you can find the exam blueprint on their website. It will tell you the areas that you need to study.

Questions about pools are important and they also tie back into the homes electrical and plumbing systems. Same goes for law irrigation's systems. Even though most of the various inspection SOP's don't address them, inspectors need to know about them....!

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Carlson, I used the Code Check series and the Home Reference guide to study for the test in 2005.
    CarsonDunlop and Associates - Home Reference Book Report Writing
    Amazon.com: Code Check: A Field Guide to Building, Plumbing, Mechanical, and Electrical Codes (0094115586252): Redwood Kardon: Books

To me the NHIE test was harder than the Michigan Residential Builders License exam in that electrical, HVAC and plumbing were not my main focus-we hired those services and believed them to be competant.

I wish I had known what I know as a home inspector when I was building. Only thought I knew how to look up a code or two until I ran into Jerry Peck and few others on this site. Humbling stuff. Drift.

Email me if you want more babbling or info.

If a man empties his purse into his head no one can take it away from him. An investment in knowledge always pays the best interest
    Benjamin Franklin

The test that I had asked some straight forward, memorization questions such as wire sizes, plumbing etc. Then it had even more situational questions that you would have to know A, B, to find the answer. I took my time with each question with all answers to choose from then chose my answer. I still finished well ahead of my allotted time.

Michael Carson
    Inspect It Right Home Inspections L.L.C.
    www.inspectitrighthomeinspection.com

This may help you.

http://minnesotahomeinspectors.com/r...orPrepTest.doc

Send me a private message when you finish and I'll email you the answers.

MinnesotaHomeInspectors.com
    Minnesota Home Inspectors LLC
    ASHI #242887 mnradontesting.com

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Rowe View Post
    This may help you.

http://minnesotahomeinspectors.com/r...orPrepTest.doc

Send me a private message when you finish and I'll email you the answers.
    Ken, is that part of the old ASHI A&B exam?

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Patterson View Post
    Ken, is that part of the old ASHI A&B exam?
    It's made up of a few different tests some ASHI, some NHIE, some NAHI. It's what I use to weed our unqualified applicants.

What I've found is that if you can score at least 90% on this test you will pass the NHIE.

Don't worry you'll be fine. Look at all the guys on this board (including me) who have passed the tests, it can't be that hard.

www.aic-chicago.com
    773/844-4AIC
    "The Code is not a ceiling to reach but a floor to work up from"

Bert de Haan Guest

It's made up of a few different tests some ASHI, some NHIE, some NAHI. It's what I use to weed our unqualified applicants.

What I've found is that if you can score at least 90% on this test you will pass the NHIE.
    Have any of the applicants alerted you to some mistakes in the test? There are some mistakes and quite a few ambiguities; questions someone may know the answer to but there is not really one correct answer given.

Quote Originally Posted by Bert de Haan View Post
    and quite a few ambiguities
    From the tests I've taken and from feedback I've picked on around here, this is just a part of the tests. I've run across many questions that are just totally ridiculous and two or more answers are correct. It's just the way it goes I'm afraid.... I suppose it's more motivation to study really well so a couple questions won't make or break you.

Ted Menelly Guest

I took the NHIE years ago and I have to tell you I was a bit surprised. I had taken many tests over the years that were similar but never that particular test. I guess the problem was that I figured I took all those similar tests over the years and it would be a breeze. It was far from it. I am sure it is because I did not prep for it. Basic studying of all the systems should allow you to pass most of those tests. You need well rounded knowledge.

Have any of the applicants alerted you to some mistakes in the test? There are some mistakes and quite a few ambiguities; questions someone may know the answer to but there is not really one correct answer given.
    As in any test they're looking for the answer that is most correct. Just like the NHIE.

As far as "mistakes" please point them out, with your correct answer and I'll look in to them.

Bert de Haan Guest

As in any test they're looking for the answer that is most correct. Just like the NHIE.

As far as "mistakes" please point them out, with your correct answer and I'll look in to them.
    I will do that.
    BTW I don't like those 'most correct answer' questions on tests but it is easy for me to be critical; I never had to come up with questions to make an exam.

I will do that.
    BTW I don't like those 'most correct answer' questions on tests but it is easy for me to be critical; I never had to come up with questions to make an exam.
    This type of question is designed to test your ability to recall "Knowledge" that you have learned. It is designed to identify your learned knowledge and not memorization.

A good example is an electrical panel. It can be wired completely wrong, but the lights will still turn on in the home! You have to know how to identify what is wrong as well as knowing what is the correct way for it to be installed.

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com