Default hole in sump discharge pipe

I found a hole in a sump discharge pipe. This is on a portion of the pipe that is below the check valve. It is about 4-6 inches below the lid/slab level. When the float is lifted and the pump comes on, water can be seen squirting from the hole as shown in the picture. The water just falls back into the sump pit so it does not create an external leak.

Is there a reason that a plumber might have done this intentionally or should the hole be fixed?

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Member Benefits1

Default Re: hole in sump discharge pipe

That hole is supposed to be there. I believe it's to drain water out of the pipe to make life easier for the pump next time it starts up. Something like that.

Ok, now I think it's to let air out when the pump next starts, to avoid "air lock". Anyway, it's supposed to be there.

Last edited by John Arnold; 12-31-2009 at 02:20 PM. Reason: upon further reflection, I mean, research...
    "There is no exception to the rule that every rule has an exception." -James Thurber, writer and cartoonist (1894-1961)
    www.ArnoldHomeInspections.com

Thanks John. I had a feeling it was meant to be there.

daniel nantell Guest

Seen a hole in the floor next to the sump , and it was coming out pretty good, the water table is so high , the basement was waterproofed a few years ago and I think the people put this hole in floor to releive the pressure. Also seen one of his neighbors try to plug the drain in the basement with a plug and it cracked the entire basement floor, a lot of pressure.

David Bell Guest

The hole relieves the pump pressure that can cause fluttering or banging on the check valve.

Michael Thomas
    Paragon Property Services Inc., Chicago IL
    http://paragoninspects.com

Wow! This is a new one for me. I've seen quite a few leaky connections on discharge lines, most with attempted duct tape repairs, but I've yet to see where a "vent" hole had been deliberately drilled. Does anybody call this out in their reports if the vent hole is missing?

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Chambers View Post
    Wow! This is a new one for me. I've seen quite a few leaky connections on discharge lines, most with attempted duct tape repairs, but I've yet to see where a "vent" hole had been deliberately drilled. Does anybody call this out in their reports if the vent hole is missing?
    Every time.

I see it so often, it's set up as a default selection.

Does it get fixed?

Probably not... but I DO NOT plan on paying for repairs to someone's basement because I failed to report it.

Just one more example of practicing "defensive reporting".

Michael Thomas
    Paragon Property Services Inc., Chicago IL
    http://paragoninspects.com