Son Tao Guest

Default Silly question about heating

Hello all and Happy New Year. I've never had gas until moving to this home in New Jersey. We have a very old Borg-Warner furnance in the house. My silly question is, does our house utilize gas or electric for heating?

There are 2 furnances. One is utilized for heating water and I'm not sure what the Borg-Warner is used for. My guess is for heating but want to be sure so I dont get stuck with a huge electric bill if I'm wrong.

There is a wall thermostat that controls the central air conditioning and heating. Any help is appreciated.

Similar Threads:
    OREP Insurance

Default Re: Silly question about heating

Quote Originally Posted by Son Tao View Post
    Hello all and Happy New Year. I've never had gas until moving to this home in New Jersey. We have a very old Borg-Warner furnance in the house. My silly question is, does our house utilize gas or electric for heating?

There are 2 furnances. One is utilized for heating water and I'm not sure what the Borg-Warner is used for. My guess is for heating but want to be sure so I dont get stuck with a huge electric bill if I'm wrong.

There is a wall thermostat that controls the central air conditioning and heating. Any help is appreciated.

There are a few ways to determine the type of heating unit with out opening anything up. Gas vent pipe to the exterior, gas line to furnace, etc.
    Are you renting, or did you buy this home? You mentioned the furnace is very old.
    If you bought it and did not get an inspection, by a local home inspector, or at the least get the heating unit inspected by a local heating contractor
    I would suggest having that done yesterday.
    If your renting, I would suggest contacting your landlord to have the unit serviced, inspected, and have them explain the operation of your furnace.
    If my son called me with your question, and the very old furance was not inspected, and was gas , the first thing I would do is send him and his family money to stay in a motel [ enough for a motel 6, to make sure he didn't like the motel better than his new home ] until the furnace was inspected by a qualified heating contractor.

Last edited by Dan Harris; 01-03-2010 at 12:22 PM.
    Phoenix AZ Resale Home, Mobile Home, New Home Warranty Inspections. ASHI Certified Inspector #206929 Arizona Certified Inspector # 38440
    www.inspectaz.com

Default Re: Silly question about heating

Quote Originally Posted by Son Tao View Post

Need more info. Post a pic 640X480 in size.

Stephen Atchison Guest

Smile Re: Silly question about heating

Simply turn off the thermostat, then set it to heat at 78 degrees, set it to auto mode, on and see which furnance kicks on.

Also check your breaker box for furnace breakers.

Cobra Cook Guest

Smile Re: Silly question about heating

Do you see an exhaust pipe coming out of the top like on the hot water heater, does it feel hot to touch after running a while? Do you see a single hard pipe with a red handled valve to cut it off on the line going to the unit, or do you simply see wires from a disconnect going to it? type in bourg warner or york .com as york is who makes the unit and you can put the model number to see more about what you have.