Default Window Location within brick expansion joint

Be curious for your comments regarding this bathroom window that is within the brick expansion joint.

Separation were evident at the side of the window frames and there is some cracking in the brick and mortar below the window ledge.

This is a (1) year warranty inspection. There is already some suspect foundation movement with larger than normal cracking in the garage floor, separations around the window frames and in the sealant at the brick expansion joints.

What do you think?

Rick

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    OREP Insurance

Default Re: Window Location within brick expansion joint

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Hurst View Post
    Be curious for your comments regarding this bathroom window that is within the brick expansion joint.
    Pretty much defeats the purpose of the expansion joint.

Separation were evident at the side of the window frames and there is some cracking in the brick and mortar below the window ledge.
    Just what you would expect when you place an immovable object in the path of an unstoppable force ... something breaks.

This is a (1) year warranty inspection.
    Either: 1) they used the wrong sealant in the expansion joint, or, 2) the sealant failed.

Regardless, the sealant needs to be removed (completely) and replaced with good sealant which is proper for that use.

That is showing a cohesive failure of the sealant, which is typically caused by (presuming the correct and proper sealant was actually used) improper application from either or both no backer rod/release tape and/or improper profile for the sealant (center too thick for the width, the sealant should have an hour glass shape if the sealant were to be cut out and looked at from one end).

My first guess would be the wrong sealant was used.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

David Bell Guest

I see a bunch of movement here, more than an expansion joint can handle. I would be concerned about improper footings, curtain drains. As far as the window is concerned, is it proper and up to code to have a lintle carry from both sides of a joint?

Quote Originally Posted by David Bell View Post
    As far as the window is concerned, is it proper and up to code to have a lintle carry from both sides of a joint?
    The answer to that is 'No.', but it could be installed as a "shelf angle" instead of a lintel (however, that creates its own problems).

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Hurst View Post
    What do you think?

Rick
    I like it! The expansion joint ties the window to the eaves so the window can't fall.

Do they build these things on slabs in your area? Expansive soil?

chris mcintyre Guest

Rick,

Is pic 3 a bad repair of an expansion joint, or a bad repair of the mortar joint.

Chris,

I think its a bit of both. You may notice in the picture that small sections of brick have been cut and placed in what I think was a significant crack in the wall. Notice the separation already at the window frame.

John,
    Yes it is a PT cable foundation. And on expansive soil. Thats about all we have here.

rick

Joao Vieira Guest

I see this on my visits every now and then.

Architects have sometimes tendency to overlook ANy type of joint.