Question Lead Paint certified

I'm in Florida, recently was asked if I was certified to test for LEAD Paint.
    I've never tested for lead paint and never heard of a certification. Anyone got any input. Thanks guys.

Similar Threads:
    Crawl Space Creeper
    Joseph, Palm Bch County, Fl.
    HomeSafeSouthFlorida.com

Default Re: Lead Paint certified

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Melbourne View Post
    I'm in Florida, recently was asked if I was certified to test for LEAD Paint.
    I've never tested for lead paint and never heard of a certification. Anyone got any input. Thanks guys.
    Most likely your state DEQ has a license program along with an EPA registration.

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

The new EPA Regs kick in March or April something like that. You'll have to be licensed to do lead testing and abatement. From what I've read State rules vary a bit but all pretty much follow the EPA mandate. As Scott said check with your State.

www.aic-chicago.com
    773/844-4AIC
    "The Code is not a ceiling to reach but a floor to work up from"

Richard Soundy Guest

As HI we can only make a statement or deferal regarding hazardous materials based on dates not analysis:

Lead Paint - ~1978
    Asbestos - ~1975
    Mold - ~ 3000000 BC

Analysis for lead paint is generally identified (qualitative and quantitative) with XRF - X-ray florescence = Texas Nuclear in Austine TX manufactured a hand held device approximately 50 years ago Lile most hazardous material services you have to be certified to scrape, store and send a sample to a local lab - pay money for this fantastic training and the paper cert just because of lawyers....

Next it will be mercury or chrome - make sure your kid is not sucking on your bumper hitch..... !

Regards - Richard

chris mcintyre Guest

This is a link that HG provided on another thread (string), it has everything that you would ever need/want to know about lead paint and then some.

Lead: Rules and Regulations | Lead in Paint, Dust, and Soil | US EPA

Quote Originally Posted by chris mcintyre View Post
    This is a link that HG provided on another thread (string), it has everything that you would ever need/want to know about lead paint and then some.

Lead: Rules and Regulations | Lead in Paint, Dust, and Soil | US EPA
    Thanks, Chris. All I've got is a couple of pics, Canadian Coast Guard.

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images

Joseph, This just came up for me yesterday so I did some investigation. Basicaly the answer I found is leave it to certified lead testers who you can find on the DEQ site. I carry some swabs for spot checking but the only way to get accurate results is with a XRF Analyzer which costs a lot of $ and would only pay for itself if you used it a lot. Check out this thread:

http://www.inspectionnews.net/home_i...test-kits.html

Tom Rees / A Closer Look Home Inspection / Salt Lake City, Utah
    http://acloserlookslc.com/

Smile Re: Lead Paint certified

Thanks Guys.

Joseph, Palm Bch County, Fl.
    HomeSafeSouthFlorida.com

Ed Bancroft Guest

Some states have their own lead cert. and some defer to the EPA cert.
    Florida does not certify, but requires the EPA certification.
    Lead: Renovation, Repair and Painting Rule | Lead in Paint, Dust, and Soil | US EPA
    Lead: Renovation, Repair and Painting Rule | Lead in Paint, Dust, and Soil | US EPA

jwilliams Guest

Hope you find this helpful: ZipWall has a lot of useful EPA information collected in one section, zipwall.com/epa.php

Casey Patten Guest

My dad just finished up his CE's as a GC on Friday. Carpenters, window installers, plumbers, electricians, rental owners, and several other folks are covered by the federal law that enacts on April 22, 2010, to be able to be lead certified.
    However, many states are taking steps to negate the federal statue. Wisconsin has already done so, mostly because the fed has instiuted such a short time frame to become "certified" and there is no class or education that has been approved for certification.
    Something to keep an eye on, that's for sure.