Default Computer turn it off, or leave it on?

What is the best way to get the most life out of a computer.
    Turn it off during the day, or turn it off and back on when your ready to use it, or just leave it on all day?

Similar Threads:
    Inspection Referral
    Phoenix AZ Resale Home, Mobile Home, New Home Warranty Inspections. ASHI Certified Inspector #206929 Arizona Certified Inspector # 38440
    www.inspectaz.com

Default Re: Computer turn it off, or leave it on?

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Harris View Post
    What is the best way to get the most life out of a computer.
    Turn it off during the day, or turn it off and back on when your ready to use it, or just leave it on all day?
    Let it run! Less wear and tear by not turning it on and off.

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

David Bell Guest

Turning it off a couple times a week lets the automatic updates load.

HowStuffWorks "Is it better to turn my computer off when I am not using it?"

"The argument for leaving your computer on all the time is that turning it on and off somehow stresses the computer's components. For example, when the CPU chip is running, it can get quite hot, and when you turn the machine off it cools back down. The expansion and contraction from the heat probably has some effect on the solder joints holding the chip in place, and on the micro-fine details on the chip itself. But here are three ways to look at that:
    • If it were a significant problem, then machines would be failing all the time. In fact, hardware is very reliable (software is a whole different story, and there is a lot to be said for rebooting every day).
    • I don't know a single person who leaves the TV on 24 hours a day. TVs contain many of the same components that computers do. TVs certainly have no problems being cycled on and off."

"There is no exception to the rule that every rule has an exception." -James Thurber, writer and cartoonist (1894-1961)
    www.ArnoldHomeInspections.com

I turn mine off and on several times a day on my normal schedule. Never had a problem with any of the four desktops I've owned, except for the typical Microsoft crashes. Although, on XP and Vista, I've had a lot less trouble than I used to.

Jim Robinson
    New Mexico, USA

I leave my desktop on 24/7 since back when I started, that was the recommended procedure by computer pros. Now that it is a matter of choice, it is habit to leave it on. I also have on-line back-ups that perform the backups during down time which is usually during the night and updates are set for automatic. I also use it for a server for my laptop so I can print wirelessly. I also hate having to wait for the system to boot up to access a file if I get a call from a client.
    I do use the power saving settings to turn of the monitor and hard drive.
    If I chose to turn it off, I would be getting one of those automatic power strips that would turn off all of the printers, modems, etc. when not in use to maximize power savings.
    But, I choose to leave it on.

Jim Luttrall
    www.MrInspector.net
    Plano, Texas

Ron Bibler Guest

Let them run. and now I have 5 old Computer in the office that are out of date for 1 and the hard drives make noise. but I'm not going to fix them the just sit and if i need anything out of the like an old report from 15 years back one has windows 95. L.O.L. Still works... I hook them get out what i want and them put them back under the desk

Best

Ron

My laptop I usually leave it on during the day at my desk and shut it down at night.
    My older computer (I call it my sexy computer cause it goes down on me all the time ) I leave it on 24/7.

rick

I leave my desk top computer on all the time. I restart it once a week to clear crap out.
    As far as not leaving TV's on all the time. My TV does not have a operating system that starts up each time it's turned on, or a hard drive.

I leave my desk top computer on all the time. I restart it once a week to clear crap out.
    As far as not leaving TV's on all the time. My TV does not have a operating system that starts up each time it's turned on, or a hard drive.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Feldmann View Post
    Jack - I think there may be something wrong with your computer from leaving it on all the time. It posted twice!

"There is no exception to the rule that every rule has an exception." -James Thurber, writer and cartoonist (1894-1961)

Ted Menelly Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Hurst View Post
    My laptop I usually leave it on during the day at my desk and shut it down at night.
    My older computer (I call it my sexy computer cause it goes down on me all the time ) I leave it on 24/7.

rick
    Now that is funny.

I leave my main computer on and my laptop on all the time. I have them set to go into sleep mode after a short time of non use. I still shut each down once or twice a week because both load updates that need rebooting from time to time. If it is in hibernate or sleep mode the power consumption is extremely minimal.

Still laughing about your sexy computer

I down loaded Google Chrome yesterday and just realized that when I click a smiley face it is adding a typed type smiley face. It has a smiles box on top. Chrome is pretty quick but has the down side side as no bar at the top for file and view and such, Guess I'll have to play with a few things. Also misspelled words get underlined. They never did that before either. I guess thats a good thing. Also no spell check on the top of this box like there use to be.

Also no control bar view tab to click on source when you have a website up to check the other sites title, keywords and description as well as the source code.

Turn your computers off and turn off the surge protectors. Even in "sleep" and "hibernation" modes, they use electricity. Turning them off does not harm them. That is why they have an off switch. Haven't any of you guys heard of global warming? Sheesh. All them folks in Florida are going to have to move to Georgia and Tennessee to get away from the high tides.

Department of Redundancy Department
    Supreme Emperor of Hyperbole
    http://www.FullCircleInspect.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Patterson View Post
    Let it run! Less wear and tear by not turning it on and off.
    Turning it off.

When I had my inspection business I let my computer run 24/7/365 (it was also my fax machine).

Keeping hard drives running wears them out.

Think of it as running your car 24/7/365, even at only 40 mph, and never letting it stop ... your car will last a lot longer when used normally.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

I turn my laptop on for the job, off when I'm done using it.
    I plug it in when possible, keep the battery at 100% all the time.
    Desktop off every night.
    Hard drives are cheap, so what's the saving in leaving it hot and running? That's old school.

Ron Bibler Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Gunnar Alquist View Post
    Haven't any of you guys heard of global warming? Sheesh. All them folks in Florida are going to have to move to Georgia and Tennessee to get away from the high tides.
    What is Global warming? The earth has been cooling for the last ten year...

Best

Ron

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Bibler View Post
    What is Global warming? The earth has been cooling ...
    Yeah, Gunnar. My feet were cold for a few minutes this morning, so what's this about Global Warming? Huh?

Quote Originally Posted by John Kogel View Post
    Hard drives are cheap, so what's the saving in leaving it hot and running? That's old school.

Data loss at the wrong time is the big deal.

They never seem to die when you are most prepared for it, but instead when you least are ready for it.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Ron Bibler Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    Data loss at the wrong time is the big deal.

They never seem to die when you are most prepared for it, but instead when you least are ready for it.

Online Backup, Computer Backup Software & Remote Backup – Carbonite.com

Best

Ron

Yeah, but you still have the down time to: go out and buy another hard drive; replace the hard drive; reload all the backed up information; and don't forget ... reinstall all of your software.

Just because you have your data backed up does not mean a crashed hard drive is a piece of cake, it is still a real pain in the behind.

Unless maybe you don't have any programs loaded on your computer ... ... but then how would you have data on it?

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

I leave my desktop running at all times for convenience, but in reality you should shut it off when you're not using it, except for one night a week you have schedule to run Windows Updates and a System Defrag.

Reasons I can come up with to turn it off
    1. Hard Drives hardware fail. If your hard drive starts to fail, the longer it runs the more corrupt the data becomes as the needle bangs against the storage platters. If you had turned your drive off, you don't have the possibility of it running for 5 days when you're out of town and completely failing to the point the data is not recoverable.

2. Processor fans fail. When this occurs the CPU overheats and can be permanently damaged. If you're lucky enough that your computer is relatively new and you can still pick up another processor. This will set you back a few hundred bucks. If your processor is not available or is integrated into the motherboard (happens on some cheaper systems) then you'll be buying a new computer.

3. If your computer is infected with a virus it will be zombie attacking other computers for a longer amount of time.

4. If you don't have appropriate protection on your machine it's more time for your machine to get infected.

5. It wastes energy.

I'm sure I can think of a few more but this should be enough! That being said I leave my desktop on all the time anyways, but always turn off my laptops as their parts are much more expensive to replace and harder to find.

Home Inspector Pro - Home Inspection Software & Home Inspection Website Hosting
    Runs on Windows, Mac, Android, iPhone & iPad. Import HomeGauge, 3D & InspectVue Narratives!

Mitchell Toelle Guest

Red face Re: Computer turn it off, or leave it on?

The professional practice and advice regarding keeping you computer running all the time is very old school and was suggested by techies way back when hard drives were susceptible to greater wear during boot-up processes. This is no longer true with hard drives. Many people keep their computers operating now as a matter of convenience and quick accessibility.

There are programs out there...some for free...that can help to minimize boot-up times and, therefore, encourage a person to shut things off more frequently. For business computers (desktop or laptop), keeping them running during the day, or business time and routine maintenance, is an okay practice. As others have already noted, shutting these "appliances" off as often as is practical is not only smart but is the only way to reduce energy consumption.

BTW, always turn monitors off when not actually viewing them. Backlights on monitors, even when in sleep mode or screensaver mode, are still operating and this not only uses energy, but reduces the service life of the backlight/ monitor.

I turn mine off when not in use.

I heard that shutting it down clears the RAM. With this there is less chance of freeze ups due to overloaded RAM. Any of you comp gurus know if this is true?

It takes a full shut down with short period (10 seconds) in the off mode before turning it back on to reset the RAM. The restart function is not the same and will not accomplish the full RAM clear. Again, this is what I was told but I'm no expert. Can anyone confirm or dispute this?

When I'm using the computer I leave it on, most of the time.

' correct a wise man and you gain a friend... correct a fool and he'll bloody your nose'.

Quote Originally Posted by John Dirks Jr View Post
    I turn mine off when not in use.

I heard that shutting it down clears the RAM. With this there is less chance of freeze ups due to overloaded RAM. Any of you comp gurus know if this is true?

It takes a full shut down with short period (10 seconds) in the off mode before turning it back on to reset the RAM. The restart function is not the same and will not accomplish the full RAM clear. Again, this is what I was told but I'm no expert. Can anyone confirm or dispute this?

John, there is no difference to the ram between shutting down and powering back up or rebooting. Doing either will definitely clear your ram and speed up your computer. You'll always have some programs that don't properly return memory back to Windows and Windows has never been the best at managed memory. I can run a Linux machine for several years without a reboot (Several of our web servers have been up for 2 years right now) but a Windows machine I have to reboot at least once a month or the memory leak will really slow me down. If you have less ram you'd need to do it more often.

Home Inspector Pro - Home Inspection Software & Home Inspection Website Hosting
    Runs on Windows, Mac, Android, iPhone & iPad. Import HomeGauge, 3D & InspectVue Narratives!

Thanks DM. "The needle bangs against the storage platters", yeah, don't you hate that?

JP, I keep all my recent NB files on an external drive, which also gets turned off every PM. Being external, it can be plugged into any other computer running any OS, such as the laptop.
    It has been off for several days now, no need.

Ryan Stouffer Guest

I leave mine on but once or twice a week will shut it off at night.

David Nice Guest

Exclamation Re: Computer turn it off, or leave it on?

I build my own computers and leave them running 24/7. I reboot once or twice a week. The only hardware recommendation I would make for those who leave their computers running is to always have a spare CPU fan and case fan on hand. They are inexpensive and can last a long time.

These fans can wear out on rare occasion, but will usually warn you by making unusual noises if the bearings start to wear out. They are pretty well built, but if a CPU fan should fail, it won't take too long before some damage could result.

If your computer is used a lot, I recommend getting "Diskeeper Home Edition" which you can schedule to run on a regular basis when your computer is not in use. This will reduce file fragmentation (much better than MS defrag). File and folder fragmentation can slow down performance significantly. A two pack for you computer and laptop is only about $50.

I also run a virtual network so I can access my main computer form my laptop when I am away and my laptop is my bedroom at night so I can do a little work on things before bedtime.

Make sure you have software that can run full scans for for spyware, adware, viruses, etc; several times a week in addition to the "real-time" scans (which can often miss a few things).

There is no hard and fast rule on whether to keep a computer on or turn it off. Plenty of experts disagree on the subject. If you are a fairly heavy user (like me) it may be more practical to leave it on. My experience has been that it doesn't make much difference as far as wear and tear goes, so do what works best for you.