Default ASHI achieves National Certification Accreditation

American Society of Home Inspectors' Certified Inspector Program Accredited by the National Commission for Certifying Agencies (News Release)

* ASHI is the only home inspection association to achieve this accredited status.
    *ASHI Certified Inspectors are the only home inspectors who have completed a recognized certification process.
    *Third-party certification validates ASHI member qualifications and professional competence.

Achieving third-party certification helps consumers make informed buying decisions and gives them peace of mind when they hire an ASHI Certified Home Inspector.

The American Society of Home Inspectors (ASHI) has been approved by the National Commission for Certifying Agencies (NCCA) as a recognized accrediting association for its profession-leading Certified Inspector Program. ASHI is now the only accredited home inspection association whose full members have completed a recognized third-party certification process. All current, full ASHI members have met the requirements for this new certification.

"The accreditation and certification of ASHI's processes by a recognized third party is an affirmation of the status we hold in the home inspection profession," said Jeff Arnold, executive director, ASHI. "Our members are recognized as leaders in home inspection by those in and out of the profession and by government entities. And, achieving certification further validates ASHI member qualifications and professional competence."

ASHI standards for certification are more stringent than other home inspection organizations. New home inspector members join ASHI as Associates and must accomplish several tasks to become ASHI Certified Inspectors. Associate members must pass the National Home Inspector's Examination; complete the ASHI Standards of Practice and Code of Ethics education module, undergo an inspection report verification process and conduct 250 paid home inspections. To remain active in the organization, all members must complete a minimum of 20 hours of continuing education each year.

"ASHI sets the professional standard on a national level," said Bill Richardson, 2009 ASHI president. "In an environment where home inspection regulation and licensing are typically performed at a state level and have been at times granted for meeting minimal professional requirements, this national certification denotes a more advanced level of knowledge and practice skill required to become an ASHI Certified Inspector." Richardson added, "It also helps consumers make informed buying decisions and gives them peace of mind when they choose to hire an ASHI Certified Home Inspector."

ASHI's organizational structure and membership process was thoroughly evaluated by the NCCA Board for compliance with what it requires of a responsible professional accrediting society.

According to Brendan Ryan, ASHI Certified Inspector and Certification Committee chair, "This evaluation process has taken other types of associations up to five years to complete. Due to ASHI's existing structure, standards and ethics, the process was completed in less than two years."

The NCCA is the professional services accreditation arm of the Institute for Credentialing Excellence. ASHI chose the organization because it is a recognized leader in setting quality standards for credentialing organizations. The NCCA requires compliance with 21 Standards, each of which has multiple components, in order to grant accreditation status to any association.

To find an ASHI home inspector or learn how to hire a home inspector, visit: American Society of Home Inspectors, ASHI.

About the American Society of Home Inspectors

In its 33rd year and with more than 5,800 members, ASHI is the oldest and most widely recognized non-profit, professional organization of home inspectors in North America. Its Standards of Practice and Code of Ethics is widely recognized by numerous state licensing bodies. For more information, visit American Society of Home Inspectors, ASHI.

Acquired from ASHI's public relations firm.

Similar Threads:
    Member Benefits1
    Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Ron Bibler Guest

Default Re: ASHI achieves National Certification Accreditation

So inspectors that work in a license state need to become members of ASHI ?

Best

Ron

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Bibler View Post

Best

Ron
    Yes, that's exactly what the press release says. Expect notification from your state licensing board very soon.

MinnesotaHomeInspectors.com
    Minnesota Home Inspectors LLC
    ASHI #242887 mnradontesting.com

Ron Bibler Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Rowe View Post
    Yes, that's exactly what the press release says. Expect notification from your state licensing board very soon.
    Obama will be setting up shop and a new Home Inspection Zar soon...

ASHI, NACHI. And every other Association will be taken over

Your new paper will be in the mail soon...

Best

Ron

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Bibler View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Rowe View Post
    Yes, that's exactly what the press release says.

It does?

I missed that in there, would you point it out to me, thanks.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    It does?

I missed that in there, would you point it out to me, thanks.
    Place your curser over the little blue smiley with the rolling eyes.

MinnesotaHomeInspectors.com
    Minnesota Home Inspectors LLC
    ASHI #242887 mnradontesting.com

Hey, I like and admire ASHI, but the statement "ASHI standards for certification are more stringent than other home inspection organizations" does not sit well with me because its inaccurate to say the least.
    CREIA's entry level exam is tougher than ASHI's, which is excellent by the way, but certainly not the nations most stringent. It's to bad that so many PR people have a way of streching facts beyond belief.

I too did not read where home inspectors must now join ASHI so please back-up your statement with facts. Thank you.................

Jerry McCarthy
    Building Code/ Construction Consultant

NCCA is not an approved accreditation organization. The U.S. Department of Education has a list.

https://www.nachi.org/certification-...stitutions.htm

Lisa Endza
    Director of Communication
    InterNACHI

Quote Originally Posted by Lisa Endza View Post
    NCCA is not an approved accreditation organization. The U.S. Department of Education has a list.

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Last edited by Robert Sheppard; 12-15-2018 at 09:46 AM.

Lisa Endza
    InterNACHI

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images

The U.S. Department of Education has a list.

"Certification Mills" (the wording in that link, not mine)

I read the link and it read like you were describing the association you work for as I understand it from its early years until I stopped paying attention to it (clarifying that my seeing, and sometimes reading, your posts here, do not constitute "paying attention to it", more like "unavoidable and unnecessary" information that one comes across during the course of their lives ... my opinion of it ... others may cherish their free memberships and certification from it - so be it).

Refreshing self-portrait from you, in my opinion.

Added with edit: "free memberships" = "free" and "otherwise", I'm not limiting "others may cherish" to just "free memberships" as I suspect that, like any paid for membership, the person paying for their membership likely does so willingly, indicating that they at least feel that 'they get what they pay for' ... and that would apply to every association where members pay dues/membership fees/whatever term is used - if a person feels that 'it is not worth it', such person would likely 'not pay for it'.

Last edited by Jerry Peck; 12-15-2018 at 06:45 PM. Reason: see "added with edit"
    Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

"Certification Mills" (the wording in that link, not mine)

I read the link and it read like you were describing the association you work for as I understand it from its early years until I stopped paying attention to it (clarifying that my seeing, and sometimes reading, your posts here, do not constitute "paying attention to it", more like "unavoidable and unnecessary" information that one comes across during the course of their lives ... my opinion of it ... others may cherish their free memberships and certification from it - so be it).

Refreshing self-portrait from you, in my opinion.
    LOL....well said

Lisa Endza
    InterNACHI

Untrue. Lisa, I believe you have personal financial dependancy upon promotion of nachi membership. The owner is your X-husband is that not true? Or perhaps he is your husband. So, in my opinion, you post here because every new membership directly affects your income. So, there is no reason for you to do any research to back up your claims. That said, there is no reason for me to regard anything you say here as credible.

This certification may be much to do about nothing.
    Since the stated goal/function of the organization is solely directed at self promotion, advertising and perceived competency.

It is all internal back scraching and back slapping. Make a rule requiring continuing education requirements for the internal made up proficiency standards and classification. Then get it certified to fulfill what you just made up.

Then again a poor education is still better than none, maybe. The underlying problem is that there is a creation of a false sense of real ability and knowledge.

Quote Originally Posted by Garry Sorrells View Post
    Then again a poor education is still better than none, maybe. The underlying problem is that there is a creation of a false sense of real ability and knowledge.
    https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/b...angerous-thing

Ironically enough, however, the people who are most likely to be overconfident are the beginners who have just received a taste of whatever skill or topic they are trying to learn. According to the popular "four stages of competence" model developed in the 1970s by Noel Burch and Thomas Gordon, the first and, arguably, most dangerous stage is what they termed unconscious incompetence. In other words, when someone is in the early stages of learning a new skill, he or she may not realize how much more there is to learn.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

For all of the hubla trying to denigrate ASHI they developed the SOP (Standards of Practice) that every Association, Organization, group and State used as their SOP, slightly altered but the same .

10 years after the thread ended, there is a need for some to live off others rather than make there own way on their own merrit and abilities.

NCAA is not on an approved accrediting agency. Here is the list. There are only 14 agencies approved: https://www2.ed.gov/admins/finaid/ac...allyRecognized

InterNACHI is accredited. ASHI is not.

https://www.nachi.org/usde-accredita...ss-release.htm

If you have a problem with that, you should write a letter to the U.S. Department of Education.

Last edited by Lisa Endza; 12-20-2018 at 10:28 PM.
    Lisa Endza
    InterNACHI

The government has a searchable database of accredited schools. Go here: https://ope.ed.gov/dapip/#/home . Type in InterNACHI or any other school you want to verify.

Lisa Endza
    InterNACHI

Watch this 32 second video. TURN VOLUME UP! We tried to make it simple for you: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XAVY...ature=youtu.be

Don't forget to turn the volume up.

Lisa Endza
    InterNACHI

NCAA is not on an approved accrediting agency. Here is the list. There are only 14 agencies approved: https://www2.ed.gov/admins/finaid/ac...allyRecognized

InterNACHI is accredited. ASHI is not.

https://www.nachi.org/usde-accredita...ss-release.htm

If you have a problem with that, you should write a letter to the U.S. Department of Education.
    Personally, I don't have a problem with that. Kudos for the achievement. It is simply comparing apples to oranges. One is education based, while the other is "personal certification". Two different means of "formal" recognition.

"A personnel certification indicates that the individual has acquired the necessary knowledge, skills and sometimes personal attributes to perform a specific occupation or skill. The certification process is based on a formal study that has validated the necessary knowledge, skills and sometimes personal attributes that have been assessed (through examinations that have been determined to be fair, valid and reliable) and re-affirmed (re-certification) at a designated interval (such as every three years). The certificate that is given is owned by the certification body and can be taken away from the certified person for reasons of unethical or incompetent behavior after an appropriate due process."
    (https://wdr.doleta.gov/directives/at...EGL15-10a2.pdf)

So indicating that "personal certification" through an alternative, claimed to be not recognized, not only undermines a large list of "professionals" representing a good number of occupations that are recognized through the NCCA/ICE certification requirements, as well as other "ISO" standards.

Personally, I don't have a problem with that. Kudos for the achievement.
    Thank you.

Now try to name one government agency on the planet earth that recognizes NCCA.

Lisa Endza
    InterNACHI

Thank you.

Now try to name one government agency on the planet earth that recognizes NCCA.
    In 1977, a Congressional mandate under President Jimmy Carter called for the creation of the National Commission for Health Certifying Agencies (NCHCA). Federally funded by a grant from the Department of Health, Education, and Welfare (now the Department of Health and Human Services), NCHCA was established to develop standards for quality certification programs in the allied health fields and to accredit programs that met those standards.

In 1987, NCHCA was restructured and expanded to include accreditation of certification programs for all professions. As part of the restructure, NCHCA became the National Organization for Competency Assurance (NOCA) under which National Commission for Certifying Agencies (NCCA) was formed. NOCA was structured as a membership association for certification organizations providing technical and educational services concerning certification practices. NCCA was structured as the accreditation body, developing accreditation standards and granting accreditation to certification programs that met these standards.

In 2009, the NOCA Board of Directors moved to change to a new name and became the Institute for Credentialing Excellence (ICE). NCCA?s structure and role remained the same as the certification program accreditation body of ICE.

Source:https://cdn.ymaws.com/www.napo.net/r..._Standards.pdf

Again, I believe we are talking about two different means to claim a similar objective.

FYI this post is 8 years old, I think its safe to ignore.

Scott Brown
    Brightside Home Inspections
    brightsidehomeinspections.com

Quote Originally Posted by Scott M Brown View Post
    FYI this post is 8 years old, I think its safe to ignore.
    The only thing you need to do is look who brought it back to life ... and that should tell all that needs to be known about it coming back up.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Kinda like a coyote howling at the moon.
    Alot of noise trying to get recognised by those that just don care .

In 2009, the NOCA Board of Directors moved to change to a new name and became the Institute for Credentialing Excellence (ICE). NCCA?s structure and role remained the same as the certification program accreditation body of ICE.
    The "Institute for Credentialing Excellence (ICE) is not a government agency and isn't one of the 14 approved accreditation agencies either. Neither is NOCA. Neither is NCCA.

Lisa Endza
    InterNACHI

Well said Garry!!!!! I have some people on ignore, so I can't see the posts they make. Its so much better that way.
    Happy Holidays!

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Feldmann View Post
    Well said Garry!!!!! I have some people on ignore, so I can't see the posts they make. Its so much better that way.
    Agreed! (I don't use ignore as I want to see the sign twirler as she dances on the street corner trying to get anyone's attention.)

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Agreed! (I don't use ignore as I want to see the sign twirler as she dances on the street corner trying to get anyone's attention.)
    Points well taken. No use wasting anymore time.
    Thanks!