Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Ted Menelly Guest

Default Re: Inspection terms

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry McCarthy View Post
    “Satisfactory” vs. “Serviceable.”
    I’ve used both and like “Satisfactory” better. I really don’t think this is vital, just my personal choice. As far as offering an opinion isn’t that what a home inspector is paid for?

Same as a doctor who gives their patient a physical, I’d much rather hear the doc say; “Jerry, I’ve completed my exam and you’re currently in satisfaction condition, rather than, “Jerry, I’ve completed my exam and you appear to be in serviceable condition.”

When I hear “Serviceable” I think of stud service, but I’ve always had a weird mind.

Gunnar, I’m pretty sure I wouldn’t hate your inspection reports because the only thing I really don’t like is bigotry and folks with a holier than thou attitude who are oh so quick to share their religious beliefs.

Done with this thread, next case?

PS: For those that include photos of defects in their reports, please be very careful that the only defect shown in your photo is the one you called out.
    Is there really a place to sign up for that

Member Benefits1

Well Ted, perhaps you would enjoy becoming an A.I.D.A. member?
    A fine organization, but one must meet very high standards to be accepted.

And your point Rick?

Jerry McCarthy
    Building Code/ Construction Consultant

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry McCarthy View Post
    “Satisfactory” vs. “Serviceable.”
    I’ve used both and like “Satisfactory” better.

I agree on what you said as far as which is "better", I disagree on using either of those terms and both have their problems ... in my opinion.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

WC Jerry
    The point is, if all he said was;
    "You, or someone else, will likely respond about politics, and yes, as can be seen on many threads, bringing up politics creates friction between parties, but there are basically two political parties prevalent here while there are numerous religious "parties" around, which could easily degrade this site into discussing religious ideas, and there are those who would adamantly insist that all others are wrong.
    I believe it is in the best interest of this site if we all keep our religion to ourselves.
    It certainly creates the most harmony when that is done.
    It simply works out best that way."

then I have no objection, and don't think anyone else would .
    But then he goes on. At that time he goes past being obnoxious, beyond prejudice and bigotry, all the way to Religious persecution.
    (you know; Hitler, the Taliban, the Romans...)

The talk about all the Christian hypocrites.
    I don't think he even understands what a Hypocrite is.
    And, like only Christians are hypocrites.

You don't like religious discussion on here.
    I don't like Anti-Religious discussion.
    I especially don't like rude and obnoxious remarks.

EC Jerry
    Not trying to insult you
    Look at what you say, (think how you feel)
    then look at the meaning of the terms;
    Bigot, Prejudice, Religious persecution, intolerance.
    You are, what you hate the most in Christians.

Is there someone here that thinks I'm wrong?

' correct a wise man and you gain a friend... correct a fool and he'll bloody your nose'.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Cantrell View Post
    The talk about all the Christian hypocrites.
    I don't think he even understands what a Hypocrite is.
    And, like only Christians are hypocrites.
    There are other hypocrites too, but many christians are hypocrites and refuse to look themselves in the mirror and see it.

You don't like religious discussion on here.
    I don't like Anti-Religious discussion.
    I especially don't like rude and obnoxious remarks.
    Then may I suggest no posting religious stuff here, otherwise rude and obnoxious is what you might get, as I, along with other, feel that posting religious stuff on a non-religious board is in and of itself rude and obnoxious.

Your choice to keep this discussion going, as you just did.

EC Jerry
    Not trying to insult you
    Look at what you say, (think how you feel)
    then look at the meaning of the terms;
    Bigot, Prejudice, Religious persecution, intolerance.
    You are, what you hate the most in Christians.
    Not quite correct.

I tolerate most things, but what I do not tolerate are those who profess to be tolerant (such as christians) and yet they are not tolerant of the feelings of others, thinking that only their way is the right way and making sure all others know it.

Unlike your posts have revealed about you, Scott P. is, I have no doubt, a very religious person, and he shows it by understanding that there is no need to say it to others. Instead, he shows it to others in his actions. Too bad so many others do not follow that example.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

There are other hypocrites too, but many christians are hypocrites and refuse to look themselves in the mirror and see it.

I can agree with that
    But I think the meaning of Hypocrite is different that what you think it is.

Then may I suggest no posting religious stuff here,
    I've said the same thing before

otherwise rude and obnoxious is what you might get,
    I don't agree that you should be rude and obnoxious

as I, along with other, feel that posting religious stuff on a non-religious board is in and of itself rude
    I have said the same thing in an earlier post

Your choice to keep this discussion going, as you just did.

Not quite correct.

I tolerate most things, but what I do not tolerate are those who profess to be tolerant (such as christians) and yet they are not tolerant of the feelings of others, thinking that only their way is the right way and making sure all others know it.
    Christian is a proper noun, and should be capitalized, such is your hate.

Scott P. is, I have no doubt, a very religious person, and he shows it by understanding that there is no need to say it to others. Instead, he shows it to others in his actions.
    I agree with that

Too bad so many others do not follow that example.
    Thats a fair statement

You see, we agree on some things

Thanks for responding

' correct a wise man and you gain a friend... correct a fool and he'll bloody your nose'.

Jerry
    You said "Unlike your posts have revealed about you..."
    and I didn't address that.
    I could be and should be a better person than I am.
    I'm doing the best I know how, well mostly.

All kidding aside, and no fooling
    You can help me become a better person, that is, if you want to
    Say a prayer for me.
    You don't even have to say it, just think it.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Cantrell View Post
    otherwise rude and obnoxious is what you might get,
    I don't agree that you should be rude and obnoxious
    I'm not saying that I or anyone should be either, only pointing out that what one does not think is rude and obnoxious to them can be to others, so before one goes about saying another is rude and obnoxious they need to consider what is being responded to in kind.

Christian is a proper noun, and should be capitalized, such is your hate.
    Quite incorrect (as to my feelings). I have no problem saying that Scott P. is most likely a very good Christian, it is in reference to others I use the lower case term as they are not what they would like us to think they are, and thus I do not want to apply that incorrect term to them.

You really should widen your thinking when considering subjects such as this.

There are hundreds, maybe even thousands, of religions available to anyone who choses to believe in their chosen fashion. Least one religion think their is better and correct and that all others should believe the same way - those are the ones who really have no idea about anything.

Many believe that only their religion is the one and only "right" religion, whereas I believe that every religion will attain what they believe in, which (by default) makes all religions who think they are the "ONE right religion" as being wrong. Think about it and ponder that a while and you will agree that if all are right, then all are wrong.

Say a prayer for me.
    You would disagree with what I was saying and to where it was directed, so no thanks. When you wake up in the morning after pondering the above ponderables, you will be grateful I did not. Too heavy of a meaning in there.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

I'm not saying that I or anyone should be either

You have been very cordial and civil with me. all I ask is to extend that same courtesy to others.

You would disagree with what I was saying and to where it was directed, so no thanks. When you wake up in the morning after pondering the above ponderables, you will be grateful I did not. Too heavy of a meaning in there.
    Fair enough.

A.D. Miller Guest

Here's my take on the subject. Why can't all of the pious on this forum open and operate their own forum for such discussions. Suggestions could look like:

Ascensionnews.net

Higherroad.org

Holierthanthou.biz

Whatwouldjesusinspect.com

Rapturedinspectors.mobi

Certifiedproselytizers.tv

Intelligentdesign.info

Some of these may not be available, I didn't check. I'm not that interested. Just thought I would get the ball rolling in that direction so we could get on with the business at hand . . . freedom from your religion.

Quote Originally Posted by A.D. Miller View Post
    Here's my take on the subject. Why can't all of the pious on this forum open and operate their own forum for such discussions. Suggestions could look like:

Ascensionnews.net

Higherroad.org

Holierthanthou.biz

Whatwouldjesusinspect.com

Rapturedinspectors.mobi

Certifiedproselytizers.tv

Intelligentdesign.info

Some of these may not be available, I didn't check. I'm not that interested. Just thought I would get the ball rolling in that direction so we could get on with the business at hand . . . freedom from your religion.
    Or for Jerry and AD maybe:
    www.AtheistHomeInspector.org
    www.BigotsUnitedAgainstChristians.org
    www.DontMentionGod.com
    www.MyRightsAreMoreImportantThanYours.org

I hope none of these are actually in use but may be since there are all kinds of kooks out there already.

Jim Luttrall
    www.MrInspector.net
    Plano, Texas

A.D. Miller Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Luttrall View Post
    Or for Jerry and AD maybe:
    www.AtheistHomeInspector.org
    www.BigotsUnitedAgainstChristians.org
    www.DontMentionGod.com
    www.MyRightsAreMoreImportantThanYours.org

I hope none of these are actually in use but may be since there are all kinds of kooks out there already.
    JL: Though I cannot speak for JP or JM, what I can tell you is this:

(1) I am not an atheist. I am post-theistic.

(2) I am not a bigot. I don't hate the religious. I simply feel sympathy for them, much as I would for anyone espousing world views so removed from reality.

(3) I am not against christians per se. But I am vehemently opposed to their incessant proselytizing, especially in unrelated venues. It is cloying, annoying, counter-productive, and frankly disgusting. And this applies to all religions. Oops, I forgot. Yours is the one that requires proselytizing, right? Nice marketing program by Rome, et al.

(4) Your rights (and almost certainly your ability to comprehend) end where my philosophy begins.

Eric Russell Guest

Good Grief Guys!!!

To think all of this started from...not a "religious posting", but a simple little "tag line" at the bottom of my posting window...ot unlike the rest of you have.

Again, I just want to clarify something...I never posted anything "religious" on here. I, just like the rest of you...have used the bottom of the window to insert something that I read or heard that I like.

I've never said anything about how ridiculous or abstract they were. It's just when the name of Jesus is mentioned...no matter what venue it is in...seems to make people keenly aware of their mortality and their failure to measure up. I'm not saying this is the case here, but you all sure are making a great case for it.

If I had put an excerpt from the Kuran on there, you probably would have let that be. If I had said something satanic, you all would probably have said..."what a weirdo!" and been done with it.

But, it's (again, not sure about the apostrophe) only when faced with the only religious leader to die for His followers and then rise from the dead, that you get all uncomfortable.

Here's what I do...I don't even look at your taglines. I read the post and go on.

Remember, none of this was my fault. Someone chose to comment on it, and it was at that precise moment in time that our thread turned from inspection terms to a religious discussion. No because of a few lines from the Bible. They've always been on there. If you're not tolerant, don't expect others to be, either.

A.D. Miller Guest

"The world holds two classes of men - intelligent men without religion, and religious men without intelligence."
    -- Abu Ala Al-Ma'arri

Eric Russell Guest

(3) I am not against christians per se. But I am vehemently opposed to their incessant proselytizing, especially in unrelated venues. It is cloying, annoying, counter-productive, and frankly disgusting. And this applies to all religions. Oops, I forgot. Yours is the one that requires proselytizing, right? Nice marketing program by Rome, et al.

This is obvious from your location...intransigence.

You need a history lesson on the Catholic Church if you're referring to them by "Rome."

Also, you can't be "post-theistic" unless your god is dead, in which case why would you worship him/her/it? "Post" means subsequent to, or after, which would imply that once your god existed, but does not now. If your god was my God, then you would know that He is eternal, therefore, cannot die. So I have to ask...what do you worship?

Eric Russell Guest

"The world holds two classes of men - intelligent men without religion, and religious men without intelligence."

-- Abu Ala Al-Ma'arri
    And don't forget about that third class...those who would actually quote something from someone named Abu Ala Al-Ma'arri.

A.D. Miller Guest

ER: You are completely out of your depth discussing philosphy, or probably much of anything of value, with me. I know more about your religion than you do and think less of its constitutents than you possibly can.

Take this off line. This is not the place for this discussion. Send me an email.

A.D. Miller Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Russell View Post
    And don't forget about that third class...those who would actually quote something from someone named Abu Ala Al-Ma'arri.
    ER: Now the bigot comes out - typical christian duplicity.

Eric Russell Guest

ER: Now the bigot comes out - typical christian duplicity.
    So, its okay for you to insult my intelligence, but when I say something to insult you, then its bigotry and I'm labeled as deliberately deceptive???

How is my saying that duplicity? Have I intentionally deceived you in any way in my posts? I've been as truthful with you as I can be.

No need to take it somewhere else...you know the truth, what you do with it is up to you.

This is my final post on this topic...let's get back to the original thread.

Hi Eric
    I see nothing wrong with you tag line
    Aaron said something about it being advertisement
    I showed where even he had advertisement
    He saw the irony of it and said Ouch
    End
    Until someone then made more of it

My objection was to the comments that followed.

"It's just when the name of Jesus is mentioned...no matter what venue it is in...seems to make people keenly aware of their mortality and their failure to measure up."

I agree with your statement, however the latter portion is somewhat judgemental, and to some, offensive.

"...only when faced with the only religious leader to die for His followers and then rise from the dead, that you get all uncomfortable"
    Now your into preaching (proselytizing).
    This is what Aaron and Jerry object to the most.
    (AM &JP sorry if I misstate your objections)
    This is not the place to express your religious views.
    Although I'm not offended by what you say, some are.

"Remember, none of this was my fault."
    I agree with you on that.

Charles Guinn Guest

Alright already!! What does any of this have to do with home inspections?? It's a rhetorical question, so don't answer unless it's about home inspections

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12